Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fatalli Mash

Posted by jp10550 ga (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 1, 12 at 15:39

Picked some fatallis this weekend and started some mash. Fatalli mash makes the best sauces to me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fatalli Mash

I'm new to this. Would you mind sharing a list of steps in the mash process? I'm trying to make sauces, and not having much luck. Maybe I'll have more success with a mash type sauce. Thanks.

Tim

o
Unripe pepper use

Hi all, I've had a pretty good rookie year harvesting approx. 450 peppers(Serrano,Scotch-B,Habs,Cayenne,Ghost and Jalapenos). However I have approx 80-120 unripe peppers on my 12 potted plants. All are basically green or yellow.Is there anyway of using them or do I just consider them casualties of the fall? I have no room for them in my house. Thanks

o

Salsa verde?

Josh

o

jp,
the mash looks tasty.

Bill106,
you could always dry the green ones, make a flake. I did that a couple of years ago with what was still on the plants as the cold weather set in.

o

I too would like to know how you make "mash". Sorry for the off topic post. I did it again. fprgot to start a new post.

o

Bill106: The jalapenos and serranos pickle really well.

The cayennes, habs, and bonnets that have at least started to turn color will continue to do so at room temp and dry conditions(sheet tray in the garage, maybe?). I'm sure the same could be said for the ghost, but they do take SO long to get to final color.

Armageddon said he has some tricks to induce ripening, but I think he's on vacation. I'm sure some of the other guys/girls here might know a trick or two.

I've been growing peppers for a few years now with 10-20 plants each year. I have maybe thrown out 2-3 dozen the whole time due to rot. There's always something to do with those last peppers of the season.

o

Great thanks a lot. I just hate to waste them.

o

Fermenting is a good way.Linky dinky

Here is a link that might be useful: Fermenting peppers

o

Mash is easy, just get sterile jar and cut up peppers and i cover the top of the cut up peppers with sea salt. Let the jar sit for six months or so and then make sauce. Be sure open the jar every couple of weeks, the mash builds up pressure as the peppers ferment. Also I shake the jar up every time of let the pressure out just to move them around in the jar.

As far as the sauce goes i just put mash, garlic, fresh lime juice and vinegar in food processor. You can add all kinds of stuff to the sauce for different flavors but the above is best to me.

o

• Posted by stefpix 7b BBrooklyn NY%5D (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 9:26

JP, how much salt? like a layer that cover everything or just a sprinke? how does the taste change with fermentation? I think about freezing my peppers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here