Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mspeppajo

Alma pepper - frozen in time?

mspeppajo
10 years ago

Hey y'all
Here is one for ya... I have an Alma pepper that grew, just the one, around about June or July to full size, but as of yet still has not changed color. That one pepper sat there by itself for about two months when finally the plant started to produce more peppers. I can see that they may need more time to mature but holy cow!!!! I checked days to maturity and aren't we a little past for the one? Or am I not looking at the correct info? Thanks for y'all's help

Jo

Comments (11)

• pepper_rancher
    10 years ago

I don't know about that pepper specifically, but the first set of pods always takes forever to ripen. After that it is much quicker... So you may be ok after all :)

• t-bones
    10 years ago

I grew Alma peppers this year for the first time and found the same thing. One large pepper sat on the plant for what seemed like months. It did finally turn to a reddish color about two weeks ago. I picked the first one and now have two other, slightly smaller, peppers that I know will not have time to ripen.
    Nice pepper, very juicy and a little hotter than I was expecting.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Same here. But I snatched the big pod and it eventually turned on the counter. Plant wimped around until Sept, then decided to set more pods. Again I took the big one and it ripened on the counter after about 10 days. The other pods seem to appreciate it.

I like this pepper, BTW. Fleshy, tasty, and spicier than one might suspect. But "eccentric" to grow. Next year should be interesting.

Dennis

• mspeppajo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hahahaha!!!!! I think my pepper must have "psychically" heard me fussin' about it 'cause yesterday I went out and just for the heck of it I checked it again and it has just the slightest blush on a small spot!! You know how some ppl talk to plants? Well, if my neighbors had heard this convo the jacket that ties in the back would have been on its way to my place..." Oh, so NOW you're starting to turn?! WHAT?! Just because everyone on the forum knows how you are now? Don't think you are getting in on my good side NOW~you have already had your chances....!!!!" LMBO

Dennis ~ I think I am going to try your way as well. I am going to take one off of the plant and see what happens with that! I am going to leave the "old man" on and see how long it takes for him to turn !! I let y'all know!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I have been thinking about growing Alma Paprika next year but according to the reviews I read, I will just forget about it. I think I will use Fresno to make my paprika-like powder.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

I like my Fresno, though it didn't start producing reliably until rather late in the season either. Considerably more prolific than the Alma, though. As tasty as the Fresno is, the Alma has a lot more heat that I would miss. And frankly, a lot more flesh. One Alma probably equates to 4 Fresno in mass.

If I grow Alma next year, I'd either go in-ground or up-pot very early to get her as big a base as I could. And I wouldn't grow just one.

Dennis

• tsheets
    10 years ago

If you leave the pods on the plant, they will turn really red rather than the orange-red like when they first turn.

They aren't very prolific, are they? But, the fruit that is produced has a lot of mass, so maybe that's part of it. They are an interesting looking plant / fruit. The GF was talking about growing one as an ornamental. :-) I might even try overwintering one.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Yeah. Visitors always inquire about the "upside down tomatoes". That alone may be good enough reason.

• mspeppajo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is true... They do look like upside down tomatoes! The things feel like baseballs though, they are so thick! I sure hope these things change before it gets too cold!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I,ll rather plant YARD LONG BEANS for visitors' attraction. haha

• naturemitch
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the talk on alma paprika! I am glad to know I am in the majority with low pod counts and a LONG time to mature. I wasn't going to overwinter any, kind of figured this was my last year to grow them...they just don't make the cut with only a short season up here. After all your discussions, will try overwintering a couple and see how they respond next spring. One more summer for them :)

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz