Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What Pepper Plant Disease is this?

Posted by dinorosa Illinois (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 12, 08 at 15:43

Hi everyone,

I cannot figure out which disease my plant might be suffering from. Please take a look at the photos and let me know your ideas. Could it be tobacco mosaic, or black spot....

Photobucket

pepper leaves

pepper bottom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What Pepper Plant Disease is this?

• Posted by byron 4a/5b NH (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 12, 08 at 19:22

Too much nitrogen

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 12, 08 at 20:06

Or, for the leaves and new growth, perhaps drift of weed killer? Any applied anywhere on the property or next door?

o

Curling leaves might not be a disease at all but more likely an excess (or deficiency) of something. Judging from your plants in an excess of something (maybe nitrogen?). I've also seen it from plants being rootbound.

The black spots on the pod are pretty normal. Especially if you've had intense sun.

Tobacco mosaic supposedly hasn't been an issue for 50 years. So I highly doubt it's that.

I recommend flushing the soil a bit and waiting.

-HabBob

o

Did the black spot on the blossom end turn to mush? the pic doesn't make it clear if its just some sun scald or if it is actually blossom end rot.

the curled leaves on the new growth has always been a pH issue with me.

i theorize you have a calcium lockout due to a pH problem in your growing medium.

o

OH thank you thank you! They can be saved! Ok, I have transferred them to my garden with some fresh compost and let's see. Thanks for all of your help!

(By the way, yeah my neighbors have this eerily pristine lawn so I suspect they spray something. The black spots have just appeared yesterday so I took the photo and posted. They have not turned to mush yet.)

o

• Posted by byron 4a/5b NH (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 14, 08 at 20:16

Too much nitrogen depresses the uptake of calcium ergo Blossom end rot

o

The darkening or purpleing of the fruit and leaves will also accellerate in cooler weather. PH issues may be helping me thinks. Most of my plants in Kansas are showing this now, and it is entirely due to the temperatures and the daypart growing shorter. It is a natural thing to see in the latter part of the year with some varieties right before freezing. TiMo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here