Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fawnridge69

Dehydrated Scotch Bonnet peppers

Looking to buy a minimum of 8 ounces and up to 16 ounces, depending on price, of dehydrated and powdered Scotch Bonnet peppers. I cook a tremendous amount of Jamaican jerk (chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, cole slaw, ice cream!) and need a regular source as my current one has gone out of business. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Look around at the stores near you. If nothing, there are plenty of suppliers on Amazon.

Just choose wisely "Grasshopper". :)

Here is a sample link.

Here is a link that might be useful: sample link

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ronny - I've been here for 16 years and visited every Jamaican/Caribbean grocery store in Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach county. Most carry only a couple of bottles and they're JCS brand, which is not hot.

I did find a supplier on Amazon, but I figured I'd check here first.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Fawnridge,

Thats what I figured but I had to ask.

I have never ordered powder or dry pods online but I have seen many companies that sell bulk quanities of powder. This might be your best bet unless others have different ideas or a supplier they use that they can reccomend.

Lets see what others suggest.

• OKgrowin
    9 years ago

Email judy at pepperlover, it's not on her website but she had lots of moa powder and is a top notch supplier, i'm sure you could set up a regular fresh supply deal.

(she'll even give you free sample)

http://thehotpepper.com/classifieds/item/467-moa-seasoning/

This post was edited by OKgrowin on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 17:36

• kclost
    9 years ago

I have quite a good batch of red habs dried last season. If interested you can have them.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Here is a site I just came across that sells powders.

Jeffs Dried Hot Peppers

http://driedhotpeppers.com/

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Ronny. I just got back from the Broward Meat Market. They had JCS brand for $4.49. Same one that's for sale on Amazon in a 10-pack for $6.99 a jar. I bought all 12 jars they had on the shelf.

This post was edited by fawnridge on Thu, Oct 30, 14 at 16:36

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Glad you found what you were looking for.
    Are those prices for powder or sauce ?

Another alternative is to grow some of your own (!!!)

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The price is for powdered Scotch Bonnet peppers. Here's the rub they'll be used in. This recipe is from a jerk shack in Boston Bay, Jamaica, that I got from the cook in August 1982.

Boca Boys Jerk Rub Recipe - use this on anything you want to jerk, even fish!
    ======
    4 tablespoons Ground allspice
    4 tablespoons Dried thyme
    4 tablespoons Ground Scotch Bonnet Pepper
    2 tablespoons Freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons Ground sage
    1 tablespoon Ground nutmeg
    1 tablespoon Ground cinnamon
    2 tablespoons Garlic powder
    4 tablespoons Brown Sugar
    1 cup dried Chives

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Interesting rub recipe, Fawnridge.
    I'll try to make some with my dried hot peppers (Mostly habs).

QUESTION:
    What is special about Scotch Bonnet ? I am going to grow some next season along with 3 kinds of Habanero.

Seysonn

This post was edited by seysonn on Fri, Oct 31, 14 at 3:01

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What's special about the Scotch Bonnet is the flavor. If you cook Jamaican Jerk, you learn early on that the flavor profile of your rub (and the finished product) depends heavily on the flavor of the Scotch Bonnet. While I'm not Jamaican, I've spent plenty of time there as well as eating in jerk shacks throughout South Florida. If you gave me a dozen pieces of jerk chicken, half with Scotch Bonnets and half with other peppers, I'd have little problem picking out the correctly cooked jerk.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner