Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

being in the right place at the right time

judo_and_peppers
10 years ago

so I happened to be in the VERY right place at an extremely right time yesterday. I met a guy who has a nursery full of nothing but superhots. we got to talking, and he said he had a ton of plants full of ripe pods that he was gonna throw away because he didn't have the space for them, or the time to deal with them. one thing led to another, and I pretty much ended up getting to take home as many as I wanted for free. now, these plants had sat uncared for a bit too long, and many of the pods were over ripe and rotten, but there was still tons of good ones there. I'm gonna need you guys help in identifying some of them, as he didn't know what was there, other than a bunch of different kinds of 7pots, some douglahs, and some others that didn't grow true to type. I pulled out some that I knew what they were, and set some aside separately that he identified for me before taking this pic.

this is what I got (minus the ones I could identify that I already took out) after the bad ones had been tossed and "sorta soft but not yet bad" ones had been set aside to make sauce yesterday:

Comments (15)

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

first one the list of ones to be identified: these sorta look like bhuts to me. anyone recognize anything?

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I assume these are either some sort of 7pot or some sort of scorpion. they aren't necessarily all the same kind, they came from a few different plants

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was told that some of these were reapers (he specified "just reapers, not carolina reapers") and some were 7pot primo.

This post was edited by judo_and_peppers on Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 16:38

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

these to me look like douglahs. I've never grown them though, so all I know of them comes from pics on here.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

he called these "chocolate scorpions" only got a few of them

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have no idea

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

these look to me like choc habs, but I think they're too hot for that. it could just be pod variation and they're the same as something already posted.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have no idea. maybe choc bhuts?

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and these I can definitely identify, because they're what I went there for. BRAIN STRAINS! I got an order for a gallon of my burning brains sauce, but my plants are only putting out a few pods at a time. I paid 15 bucks for all these. well, the way I look at it I either paid 15 bucks for all of the above, or I paid 15 for these, and got all the rest free. either way, I'm happy with my purchase.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

First chocolates are not douglahs - probably choc. habs, though the one UR looks more like a savina (are there brown savinas?). CHs are very hot, btw. Could be listed as a superhot.

Second choc. I have never seen.

Third choc. are your douglahs or very similar.

4th choc. more habs?

1st red pic - could be some nagas mixed in.

Did you get plants or only pods?

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

he said I could take as many plants as I wanted because he'd be throwing them all away anyway (the guy seriously had hundreds if not a thousand plants) but they all looked pretty bad, and the whiteflies at my house woulda torn them apart. my strong plants are struggling with the whiteflies as it is. he did say that if I change my mind I can go back and take the plants though.

I'm trying to talk him into giving me a job.

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

any one else have thoughts on what some of the pods could be?

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I figured out what the ones that look like a choc hab actually are. they're chocolate scorpions that didn't grow to the proper pod shape. that explains why they're so very much hotter than what I'd expect from a choc hab.

I kept some seeds from the ones that are true to type. really wicked looking pods. it's a really tasty pepper. great heat too. easily above a bhut, but that's not saying much.

• rodnebridges
    10 years ago

Nothing much to add to this. All i'm saying is Gardenweb needs a "like" button or something !

• pepper_rancher
    10 years ago

judo,
    GO BACK and save some of those plants! Even if you radically root prune them all and only 50% survive, you are set for next season!

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals