Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kclost

Crazy weather....

kclost
9 years ago

87 degrees in KC today. Still no freeze yet. Unbelievable!

Comments (47)

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

It has been a crazy fall for sure! It was 80 degree here (Northern Utah) yesterday and we havent had a freeze yet either. Unfortunately, a cold front hit us today (only in 50's today) and we are expecting a freeze and possibly snow tonight. Heading out to do some plant pulling and pot moving this afternoon. Cold could be heading your way....

dj

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

End of Oct. and no killing frost here either! I usually have a 2-3 overnight frosts in late Sept.- Early Oct. then season ends late Oct. with regular frosty nights.

Not complaining mind you! What about you ajsmama?

• jtight
    9 years ago

We are in our normal random temp pattern as evident by photo.
    3-4 days @ 70-80 w/ 50+ at night
    2 days @ 60 w/ ~40 @ night

I need another 2-3wks to get all my green pods

Johnny

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

We have had some frost, I covered my peppers the past 2 weekends (not the past 2 days) but there must have been another cold night this past week b/c when I went out on Sat the upper leaves were looking worse than before, and the minibells were shot. Lots of rain and highs in the 50's-60 lows in the 40's-50's (I thought). Next 2 days going to be nice but then it gets cold and rainy again - hope Halloween isn't bad for the kids. I'm pulling all my plants the next couple of days - they're done and I still have a ton of peppers I've already picked I need to preserve (I've promised some to soup kitchen Wed).

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Nothing too crazy here in PNW ( NW WA, Seattle area).
    Our rain season is underway, very little sunshine, lots of rain ; Temps in 45F(L) to 58F(H) range. My tomat plants are practically dead because nothing is ripening. I have shelter few pepper plants in mini hoops, hoping that more pods will/might have a chance to mature. Everything has done ok except the Bishops Crown.

At this early morning hours, that is how the the temperatures look across the Land. Northwest is the coldest.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Looking at the possibility of a record high here today. (82?)

Third flush is well underway, and it's a big 'un.

Dennis

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

It's been running 55 - 88 here the past week and my late start super hots are coming on strong, ripening daily now.

I love it when a plan comes together. ;-)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Enjoy the beautiful weather, while it last. A cold front is pushing from North/Northwest to East/Southeast.

• MikeUSMC
    9 years ago

Yeah, pretty crazy weather in New England (par for the course). It was about 75* by my house yesterday, and they're talking about a snow/rain mix in the next few days! It'll melt on contact, though. This weekend the temps are really supposed to drop here, and stay low. I'd say this weekend is probably the end of my season. I lost (almost) all the leaves on my Habs and Scotch Bonnets, but my Bhuts are THRIVING in my dining room! Haha! My wife doesn't seem to think it's as funny as I do, though...

Mike

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

The weekend permitted some beach time. Now the furnace is back on.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

In our neck of the woods things are very steady.
    For the next 10 days the lowest of lows will be 43F and the highest if highs will be 60F, raining 8 out of 10 days.

I have shelter some of my plants in the mini hoop to help ripen some pods, possibly. But growing season is over in the US of A, except in south Cali and Flori.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

" But growing season is over in the US of A, except in south Cali and Flori. "

Hey now, average first frost isn't until Nov 15th in Central Texas. Unless that first one is a real strong front, temps should recover quickly enough to continue outdoor growing for another couple weeks. I figure we have 3 to 6 weeks left, but definitely not counting on it. You never know.

PS Shoulda bought an Almanac. They would know. ;-)

• jtight
    9 years ago

www.intellicast.com

Online hostorical weather

Johnn

• OKgrowin
    9 years ago

nice and warm here in a OK.
    cold front won't stop me for a while it seems...
    Fresh Peppers for my thanksgiving dinner lol?

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Now they're saying snow mixed with the rain Sat, and below freezing Sunday. Our season is over.

• gardenper
    9 years ago

It may be that winter temperatures are coming slightly offset now from before, but consider that it may also mean the winter temps will continue on into March, April, or even May like last year (for some parts of the country).

• seysonn
    9 years ago

@Mecdave,

FFD is just when the fat lady sings(...la..lala.. la..la). haha
    But practically, for many of us the season is over weeks before the FFD : Case in point:

1) my tomatoes are loaded with lots of green ones and rotting out there and our lows have not dipped below 45F yet.
    2) my pepper, not just growing any new ones, the old pods are just sitting green and pretty.
    So that is what I meant by saying for most of us growing season is over, even before the fat lady sings :-)

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Was just feeling left out when you didn't mention Texas. In South Texas the climate is similar to Florida and California in that they grow citrus in the Rio Grande valley and may not even get a frost some years.

When we do get a FF here in the central part of the state the temps usually bounce back quickly and may stay mild for a couple weeks or even longer. Heck, I've seen 80's on Christmas day some years and a white Christmas on the coast 250 miles SE of here on others. Now that's crazy weather! :-)

• kclost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Frost on top of the car this morning around 40F. We will see if it affected the plants after work. I do know that Friday we are expecting 29F low, so that will be the end for sure. Almost into November, not bad.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Mecdave, ...Sorry about that.
    That show how much I know about Texas. I was in Dallas one Thanksgiving, many years ago and it was pretty cold there and then. . While in Atlanta, Ga, we often got texas weather coverage too. I have heard Texas panhandle a lot. I often though Dallas was close in weather to Atlanta, but slightly colder winters and hotter summer. But then Texas is a big state. I should study some US geography.I have lived in TN, GA, CT, IL, MO, KS and now I am in WA and rotting. hehe

Ok, hope you will have a nice weather ahead.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Crazy No More.

After a week of unusually warm weather in mid west, south, southeast it is getting back to normal.

The picture below, temps snap shot at early morning hours, shows that cold air has moved in from Canada and spread

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Mon. morning looks dicey but overall still above 32°!

• jtight
    9 years ago

Apologies in advance to our friends north of border.

Yay.... Stupid Canadian cold front. Like everyone else this shift is just enuff to upset you a/ cause scare towards temp changes. Sat we'll be 56 a/ 36 w/ 20mph winds a/ >30mph gusts. Time to get out the ol plankents a/ get them set up. I have too many green pods to risk it.

Johnny

• sandy0225
    9 years ago

Yup, picked 1/2 bushel of hot peppers yesterday and almost a bushel of bells along with tomatoes. And that is the latest I've ever picked those...but it's definitely going to be over by tonight. Low 27. Crazy though, in a good way!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Our temps are a bit better. Thou day highs are in mid 50s but the night lows are still ok, ~44F.
    So technically we don't have to worry about freeze/frost but nothing is ripening. Today I will do some picking to bring in. They will ripen better of the plants , inside.

O'! and I should mail my seed packs Johnny's way, too.

• kclost
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yep, pulling my remaining plants tonight. Have many ripe to almost fully ripe pods to save.

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Is it true that {{gwi:2131548}} are digging out of up to a foot of the great white north fluffy stuff?

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Yep, NW Texas (Panhandle). Record breaking snowfall.
    Edit: Doh! Shoulda clicked on NECM's links first.

Just a cold rain here in Central Tx, like much of this winter so far. But we really need the rain so I'm not complaining too much. ;-)

This post was edited by mecdave on Fri, Jan 23, 15 at 11:17

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

{{gwi:2131550}}

Wish I had a buck for everyone of my DOH's... I could retire!

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

One of our winter Santa Anas. But even this is a tad too warm for this time of year. Better not frick with my cool season veggies!

Kevin

Here is a link that might be useful: 10 day

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Were going to hit mid 70's this weekend.

This crazy weather is causing some chilis to start budding and most of the stems are starting up again.

Even the fruit trees are starting to bud and it is way too early.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Last time I reported that it is raining here. Guess what ? still raining. hehe.
    But overall it feels like PNW spring weather : playing 40F(L) to 62F(H), with NO sunshine in the forecast. This kind of weather (plus short days) will hang around til April. Now, thats crazy.
    But in the mean time I have germinated half of my peppers. The rest is on hold for couple of weeks.

Seysonn

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

After a relatively snow free winter so far Old Man Winter has my area in his sights!

4 to 8 inches of heavy wet stuff!

This post was edited by northeast_chileman on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 6:07

• tomt226
    9 years ago

No snow here in Bastrop County Texas. Over the last two days got 4.5" of rain. Everything is a hog waller...

• MikeUSMC
    9 years ago

This is what I woke up to this morning in Central Connecticut. Not bad, considering (like NECM said) this was the first decent snowfall we've had this year. The last couple of years, we've been getting hit pretty hard at the end of October. The weather reporters were calling them "Frankenstorms."

Mike

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Well, the Blizzard of 2015 (January anyway.) is over, I got 31.5" and here's what it looks like.> Not my video!

• MikeUSMC
    9 years ago

I was wondering how you were making out up there, NECM. The news showed that "Baahston" got slammed. We got spared this time. I only got about 10", but it was just the light, fluffy snow, not the heavy messy stuff.

Mike

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Well Mike, another all day snow for New England!

{{gwi:2131552}}

• MikeUSMC
    9 years ago

Yup, looks like Mother Nature saved any winter weather we could've gotten in December, and crammed it all into the past couple of weeks! I got about 5" so far, but it's supposed to turn to freezing rain in a few hours, so I can't even shovel yet, or the driveway and sidewalks are gonna turn into a sheet of ice. Gotta wait for that to pass and do it all at once.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

You know what they say about New England weather ! I have live in CT for about 12 years.
    Back here in this part of PNW things are pretty steady and quite predictable : RAIN, RAIN, DRIZZLE and more RAIN. This will be going on til May. Is it crazy or what ?

Seysonn

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Geeeez Louise, gimme a break, another 18 - 24 inches!!

{{gwi:2143976}}

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

The weather here is quite crazy. Last night it dropped down to 50. Today's high is going to be 76. Temp right now as I type is 59. Real feel in the wind is 52. I have tomatoes out on the porch to harden them off right now. It will be nice, and warm days till Thursday. Then it will get a little cooler, and be more seasonal.

This time of year here the weather has two extremes.

1 Extremely nice.
    2 Extremely horrid. (Cold,ice,rain,hail.)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Reporting from the very Northwest neck of the woods:

Currently (10 AM local) it is 53F. High will reach 58F later this afternoon. On top of that it is partly sunny. Tonight low to be 43F. This nicely crazy. That is how are weather normally is in April (43F- 58F).

I like this kind of crazy weather.

Seysonn

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

As usual, it's horrible here. :P

The drought isn't going away any time soon for SoCal.

Kevin

• Seysonn_ 8a-NC/HZ-7
    9 years ago

Haha. It is crazy here too. for the middle of winter.

Currently (10:20AM) is 57F. Tonight's low will be 47F.

I like this kind of crazy weather

Seysonn

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Im cool with the weather here... high 70's maybe even 80's. I love the winter when it is like this. Sun Sun Sun here we come.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?