Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtight

Perfect Choco Ghost

jtight
9 years ago

This is a beautiful Choco Ghost specimen. Pulled a dozen just like it today. Def. keeping these seeds for next yr. This strain looks almost pure.

Johnny

Comments (17)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Chocolate Ghost? As in Chocolate Bhut Jolokia?

You must be joking around ;-) Doesn't look close to a Chocolate Ghost. A Chocolate Scorpion of some cross or other, yes.....

Josh

• jtight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Speed typing error. Scorpion

Hahaha

:)

9 years ago

That makes more sense ;-)

Josh

• jtight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BTW - You have nice ghosts.

Johnny

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Nice. Color, both Scorpion and the Bhut, Johny and Josh.

I am not into SHs but I like the look of CHOCOLATE color. I will get into Johny's exchange and try to get some Chocolate Habaneros or something in that class of heat. I also like color combinations. I already have orange and red Hab, plus Lemon drop and Chinese 5C.
    I have this perception (maybe just dead wrong) that the chocolate colored ones have SMOKEY flavor.

• jtight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Email me about wanting choco seeds. Will send you some.
    I alao have some Tequila Sunrise (bright orange) if you want some color.

I am unsure about taste (smokey) flavor also. Going to slice one open tomorrow a/ find out.

Johnny

• toolstack
    9 years ago

I've never had a scorpion before they look mean. I heard that chocolates are hotter or have a more violent burn than say the red or yellow but I don't know. I love the pimpley texture that ghost have! Those look really nice. I just got my peach and red bhut seeds in the mail today, I can't wait to grow and try them.
    Randal

9 years ago

Thanks, guys.
    In my experience, the Chocolate/Brown pods tend to be on par or slightly hotter than the Reds of the variety. There are always exceptions, of course.

As for the smokey aroma or flavor, I didn't notice it strongly in the Bhut; certainly not like a Chocolate Habanero. I was expecting smokey, but didn't find it.

Josh

• jtight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Am planning on making some sauce tomorrow. Have these a/ Douglahs to work with. I should get a good feeling/taste for the choco after that.

Johnny

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Johnny,
    Thanks for the offer. I will be joining your Holiday Seed Swap. So then, along with my small contribution, I will send a very short wish list. I will wait until then. I would like thing like choco Hab, Scotch Bonnet, Fatalii ...something under 400k SHU range

Seysonn.

This post was edited by seysonn on Sun, Oct 19, 14 at 5:15

• tomt226
    9 years ago

jtight,
    Will yer sauce be called "Brown 25?" ;-)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Talking about hot sauce, I am brewing a small batch by "lacto Fermentation" as recommended by Kevin. This way, you dont use any acidifier like vinegar or lemon juice. All you need is distilled water and pickling salt. In the past I have made all my sauces using vinegar. So this is a new adventure for me. I will report the result.

• jtight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I use distilled white vinegar on all mine. Cuts the thickness of mash a/ is a natural preservative.

Johnny

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Yeah, Johnny,
    Up to now I have always used white vinegar. It preserves pretty good ( @ 50w/50v ratio). But I just wanted this method. It is the same as the old fashion dill pickling, sour kraut,.. . The lactic acid, produced in the process is also a preservative and gives it a mild sour taste. The lacto fermented pickles are normally refrigerated. They are meant for immediate use and not for long haul preservation. BUT this process require some patience. It will take about 10 days from start to finish (unrefrigerated)

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

Seyson, I too will be fermenting very soon. The last parts for my jars should be here today. Are you using a starter?

PS I have several fermenting links on my website list (below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Favorite Website Links

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Name of sauce: "The Brown Note".

Fans of South Park, kindly ignore this post.

Dennis

• jtight
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Call it Mr. Hanky Juice

Johnny

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994