Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zelicindy

YELLOW ghost pepper???

zelicindy
13 years ago

We had 4 ghost pepper plants on the deck all summer long. MANY great red HOT ghost peppers. Long, and narly looking, just like all the ghost pictures, so we know they are real. This last month the night temps have dropped to the 30's afew times. Welllll.....we have 2 peppers that are yellow. Bob finally said he was going to try one. Let me just say he is now standing in the corner of the kitchen, milk in hand, beet red, saying something about HOLY COW!! He said this yellow one is the hottest one he has had yet.....and the man loves to eat his Ghost. Why did 2 turn yellow and so HOT? Gotta run....someone needs another glass of milk!!

Comments (34)

• smokemaster_2007
    13 years ago

Do I have this right?
    You have a plant that puts out both Yellow and red pods?
    Or a plant that puts out only yellow pods?
    Another that puts out red pods?

A lot of the Yellow bhut Jolokia strains around are thaught to be Hybrids even though they are supposed to be wild mutations.

Were yours grown from pure seeds?nursery plants etc.?
    Your post sounds like the pods were red but as the weather changed so did the pods color.
    Are you sure your yellow color is the final pod color?

Interesting either way.
    Got seeds to trade?

• organicpepper_grower
    13 years ago

I grew a yellow bhut plant this year....I got a few seeds I can trade

• zelicindy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is why we are so confused about our 2 yellow Bhuts. Our seeds are pure. All summer the peppers went from green to red...normal. These 2 bhuts went from green to yellow!! NEVER even a red tinge to them!! My son said they looked like a "john deer" pepper when they started turning yellow because of the 2 colors. And the kicker is that we have red bhuts on the SAME branch that are red. So wish I could take a picture!! Any more info on this we would love to hear!!

• vic01
    13 years ago

I would definitely be interested in seeds if you want to share

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

Definitely save the seeds and the plant if possible.

Maybe you have a 2,000,000 scoville hot pepper mutation.

Sounds like double valuable genetics here.

I would try very hard to keep the plant alive and make new clones by rooting all the branches you can.

The plants from seeds will not be identical to this plant. Some will carry the gene but not all. The plant itself is most valuable for having a more correct combination of genes from which to begin genetic work.

NM Chili Institute might be interested. They would have better ability to enhance and then lock down the genes.

• zelicindy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Whewww....Garden, thanks for the info!! Already have new baby Bhuts downstairs under lights growing. Will get this plant from the deck downstairs to hopefully survive the winter and see what happens next year. And yes, from the 2 strange yellow Bhuts, we have already saved the seeds to try and get to grow to see what happens this winter under the lights.

• cmpman1974
    13 years ago

Wow, I'd love to grow that variety! E-mail if interested in a trade. Maybe it'll also put out some chocolate pods too on another branch. :)

Chris

• rick_in_va
    13 years ago

Sounds like you may have something valuable here. I agree with Gardendawgie that you should winter over this plant and try rooting some cuttings next year. you will probably have to prune it back severely and repot the bare roots next spring. Good luck with it. - Rick

• zelicindy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We moved our "special Bhut" downstairs last night as the temps are getting to low at night now. Will talk to it every day and HOPE it makes it thru this long PA winter!! We do have a light set up downstairs, so here's to hoping!! Oh.....how do you root cuttings???

• Gh0stChili
    11 years ago

This was a Habanero Plant. Planted it close to Ghost peppers and this is what happened. Can't wait to test the heat!!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Do you mean this plant is from seed of a Habanero that was planted next to Ghost Peppers LAST YEAR?

They are definitely a pretty color. Have they always been that color or did they just recently turn?

Bruce

• kuvaszlvr
    11 years ago

Just looks like a plain old yellow bhut to me. They are beautiful. Wish mine had that many fruit on it.

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

You say it made red pods up until it nearly froze.

If anything I would say the cold damaged the pods and prevented them from ripening properly.

Only way to find out though is to let it set some more pods under normal temperatures and see if they go back to being red.

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

You guys are commenting on a thread that's 2 years old.

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

D'oh!

I blame Gh0stChili there. Lets get 'em!

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

peppernovice-lighting torches and grabbing pitch forks...."Let's Go!" :)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Those look nothing like the Yellow Bhuts I've seen, or the Yellow Bhuts I'm currently growing.

The previous pic look like Yellow Nagas, or something else. Again, not Ghost Peppers.

Josh

• Nitrouso2
    11 years ago

@greenma28 - Josh, the seeds for this plant, and all my current Bhut plants, came from a single pod from a previous Bhut plant that only yielded red chiles. In person these look very like the reds. Please post pics of the Yellow Bhuts you're currently growing. Would love to see the difference.

Chris

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

I have reds that look like that just before they turn. Try leaving it on for an extra week or so. I'll try to get a pic of mine and post it.

Tim

• peppernovice
    11 years ago

Sorry, I meant to say they have a stage where the color is similar. The pod shape is different. Here's an in-between pic, already pretty red though. You can see the similar color on the bottom third.

Tim

• Nitrouso2
    11 years ago

Tim - I'll keep them on the plant for a bit. They don't show any hint of turning red at this point and all their fellow plants that have turned so far have gone from green to orange to deeper red, with no yellow. However it turns out, it'll be interesting! Looking forward to seeing your pics.

Chris

• Nitrouso2
    11 years ago

My red ones do the same thing color-wise. As far as pod shape, I get a lot of different shapes, but they're all generally like that. Some are on the shorter and stubbier side, and some are longer. I have a yellow one that looks like a clock in a Salvadore Dali painting!

11 years ago

It's a pic from the end of August...I'll try to get a more current pic today.
    I have no idea if the color will be yellow in the end, but the pod shapes sure are different....
    much skinnier than the Red Bhut. This seed sourced from Wayright, I believe, sent to me by Jaime.

Josh

• Nitrouso2
    11 years ago

Wow, that is a different pod shape!

11 years ago

Here's a current pic, though it's not the most clear....

• Gh0stChili
    11 years ago

The Hab plant was fully grown and I planted them close to the Bhut's whcih I started from seed. Man..They are HOTTT!!!

• Gh0stChili
    11 years ago

I made my own green house this year. I'm growing bhut jolokias, Trinidad pot 7, Butch T and Trinidad scorpian. Seedlings are doing excellent. They are all on their 4th set of leaves.

• Edymnion
    11 years ago

"The Hab plant was fully grown and I planted them close to the Bhut's whcih I started from seed. Man..They are HOTTT!!!"

Then they would have been just as hot if you had planted them next to broccoli. Cross pollination only affects the seeds, not the pods.

Think of it this way. If you have a white cat that gets impregnated by a black cat, does the mother cat suddenly turn black while she's pregnant? No, the kittens come out as gray (or black, or whatever).

The pods are made by the mother plant. The pods will always be the same no matter what you cross pollinate the plant with. Only the seeds in the pods will be different.

It is physically impossible for a grown sweet pepper to set hot pods just because it was placed next to a hot pepper. Only the plants grown from the mixed seed in the second generation will be hotter.

11 years ago

Edymnion is exactly right regarding the crossing of strains.

And a follow-up to the green pods I posted last season. Red Bhut, Yellow Bhuts, Hybrid (Chocolate habanero x Bhut or Naga).

• Gh0stChili
    11 years ago

I have read up on crossing strains. Curious as to how cat's got used as an analogy. That post was last year and I was just answering esox07 question. Better late than never.

• Gh0stChili
    11 years ago

Locate flowers on one parent pepper plant that are nearly ready to bloom. They are easily distinguished by their unfurled sepals, or green outer petals, which reveal the flowerâÂÂs inner petals. Use small scissors and latex gloves to cut away any bloomed flowers surrounding the unbloomed flowers, as they could pollinate them. Cut the bloomed flowers at least 1/4 inch down the stem leaving only the unbloomed flowers. Wash the scissors with rubbing alcohol and put on a new pair of latex gloves before proceeding.

Peel away the flowerâÂÂs unbloomed inner petals with tweezers to reveal the interior of the blossom. You will see several stamens, the male organs of the flower. Use the small scissors to clip away the stamens, leaving only the pistil in the center of the flower. Wrap a twist tie around the stem of the emasculated flower to mark it and repeat with as many others as you would like. Wash the scissors and tweezers with rubbing alcohol and change into a new pair of latex gloves before proceeding.

Repeat the process of emasculation on the second pepper plant with at least one flower. Do not discard the removed stamens. Slice up the side of one stamen with a dissecting needle and use its tip to scoop out the pollen from inside. Apply the pollen to the top of the exposed pistil, known as a stigma, on one of the other parent pepper plantâÂÂs flowers. Repeat with the remaining harvested stamens and exposed pistils.

Watch the pollinated flowers. Within three to four days, the ovary, located below the pistil, will begin to swell. This is a sign of successful pollination. The resulting fruit and subsequent seeds are the crossbred pepper species. If the ovaries do not swell, the pollination was not successful. The most common cause of unsuccessful pollination is damage to the pistil during emasculation.

• pegasus_48
    9 years ago

The yellow peppers i see in a pic above, look like Devil Tongue to me. Never seen a ghost pepper. Bought some seeds in a container from an Amazon seller years ago, they never grew. Not even sure there were seeds in there LOL! But I have raised Devil's Tongue, and these pictured her look like them to me

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

pegasus_48 this thread is 2 years old...just FYI

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative General Contractors