Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
obchili

First Overwinter Attempt

obchili
9 years ago

It is getting colder here and I had nowhere to overwinter so a family member is letting my put a few potted plants in his greenhouse this year. So here are a few pictures of my pruning and overwinter-ready plants.

Carolina Reaper left corner in back was grown in the container, Carolina Reaper transplanted and pruned today into this container, Trinidad Moruga Scorpion on right grew up in its container, just waiting for 1 to ripen.

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion on left, Bhut Jolokia next, 7 Pot Douglah, White Bhut Jolokia last on right.

Before of the last four in just a slightly different order.

Carolina Reaper grown in this container (same one as in the left rear corner of picture 1.

So, I hope these pull through the winter. They will be in a greenhouse kept around 65-70 degrees. No artificial light, only natural light through opaque fiberglass roof panels. So my fingers are crossed.

Comments (9)

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

I over wintered a Chiletepin for almost 4 years with only "trimming" of the branches. Still miss it!

• willardb3
    9 years ago

Pruned tepin

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    9 years ago

Why are the leaves all gone?
    The leaves aid in the transition and can help with the new growth to come, before the old leaves fall away. This is especially important since you are attempting to ripen pods on the plant, rather than simply revive it (in which case, prune hard as Willard demonstrates).

Josh

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@greenman28
    Leaves on the plants were cut off as the plants were supposed to go to their new home for the winter last week, then the plans changed. We do not have enough room to hold all plants with leaves as they were too bushy. As for the pods, they were trimmed off and are going into a cardboard box with a banana to ripen.

@willard3
    Wow, what a pruning job there. I tried an extreme prune tonight on 2 plants as they were destined to die. I was told that I was not allowed any indoors, but wanna guess who is working tonight...So, I pulled all my plants and did what I thought was an extreme pruning until I saw yours. Wow. I do feel better now. How does one take care of a plant like this over the winter best if I may ask. Thank you.

Bhut jolokia on left, Brainstrain on right

Switched sides. Brainstrain on left, Bhut Jolokia on right. Aluminum piece was there just for size reference only.....

• don555
    9 years ago

Obchili, I`d say just start fresh in 2015. Zone 3 is not really `overwintering territory``, so extend your fall 2014 season as you choose, but grow new plants for 2015. Just my (zone 3) opinion..

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Why do you say that, don? The growing season is so short in zone 3 that overwintering may be the only way to get a decent crop of the slow-growers.

To care for the poor little amputees, provide warmth (50F+ though more is better), light (hopefully a south-facing window or better), and no water.

Seriously, these plants will need water, but a LOT less than they did. Over watering is common among new over-winterers. (Naturally being a contrarian, my first winter half of them died from dehydration.)

I've never hacked a bush that badly. Please keep us updated on how they do.

Dennis

• obchili
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What is the best type of watering schedule? I have not watered yet since transplanting yesterday. Should I give them a little drink?

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

How the heck should I know? Ask your plants.

If you haven't given them *any* water since hacking, they may be too parched to speak. Moist soil. Not desert.

Dennis of Arabia

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

P.S. I bristle at the very idea of a "watering schedule". You cannot impose a schedule on nature. The plant will do what the plant does. It is up to you to learn its needs. Or leave it in the wild.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz