Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onesteward

Does this pepper look familiar to anyone?

This is a pepper grown from seeds from last years swap. Hoping someone will recognize. I think is should be Piri piri? It's a small plant. The fruits start out yellow and are starting to turn orange.

Comments (13)

• seysonn
    10 years ago

The size of the pods are similar to pequin (aka birds eye). But pequin plant grows very tall. If I remember it correctly, piri piri has round pods. (I could be wrong)

• onesteward (Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you. I had two different peppers that I had transplanted into a temporary pot together, but lost the tags. I think they were Piri piri and Peppadew.

These have some nice heat to them so figure they must be the Piri piri. I found a couple of pics online that look much like them called African bird's eye chili, which I think is another name for the Piri piri?

• BigAl437
    10 years ago

They are either pequins or hot lemon peppers. Both are very good to eat and put in recipes.

• smokemaster_2007
    10 years ago

Did the seeds get donated by me?
    If so it is a pepper I got in a trade years ago that had no name.
    If it is,it stays yellow a LONG time,can't miss the plant from a mile away.
    Eventually it has yellow,orange and red pods all at the same time.
    It was named Robyn's Red or Gift pepper.
    VERY prolific plant.Does well in small pots indoors(window) or outside.

{{gwi:1228280}}

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1228277}}

This post was edited by smokemaster_2007 on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 22:18

• gardendrivenlife
    10 years ago

The pod looks like a piri piri, except mine is red. My first time w/ this plant. Got it in the HUGE seed swap last year.

Gary

• onesteward (Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Smokemaster, that's a pretty plant and the pods do look like mine. Your plant is much bigger than mine but I never moved it from its small container.

I looked at my list of seeds that I actually planted last year from the swap and the only other possible seed that I planted was one called 'Cascabella' not sure if it could be that one. What I found about it on line, Cascabella is described as bigger than this tiny pepper.

I didn't plant any of the no-name seeds last year.

The seeds look a little rounder than most hot pepper seeds, if that helps at all.

If I can't ID them, I will still continue to grow this one, since it does have a nice heat and flavor.

I appreciate all of your help.

• onesteward (Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Gary, did your piri piri's start out yellow?

the other plant in the pot is finally starting to grow some peppers. I just noticed them today. I'll try to get a picture in the next couple of days. Maybe you all can see what you think. Hope so.

Thank you all.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

you said the peppers were beginning to turn orange. did they continue to red? if so it looks a lot like what was given to me, labeled as tabasco. mine was extremely badly stunted (spending 2+ months in a half inch of soil in one of those seed started things. my friend had given up on it, and I took it over. the plant was started in feb and is now barely 10" tall, but has produced close to 200 pods. all of which are far smaller than a tabasco should be (the biggest ones reaching 1/2" long), so I assume the pod growth is stunted too. the pods look much like a piquin pepper, except they start out yellow then turn red. it's either oddly stunted, or a cross between a tabasco and a piquin. either way it's an awesome plant with exceptionally tasty juicy and fiery little pods. I will be doing my best to regrow it next year.

• onesteward (Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, they are almost all red now. Your plant's foliage sure looks nice and green too. Little upright red pepper, that's what I have, small plant.

Maybe it did cross pollinate. It should be interesting to see what the seeds from these peppers do.

Thanks for all of your help.

• Russell P
    8 years ago

Onesteward, are you still growing this pepper. I think its the one I've been looking for that I got from my uncle, but have since lost viable seeds. Please reply if you still have viable seeds that you wouldn't mind sharing.

• smokemaster_2007
    8 years ago

Wondering what the color change is.

Freen,Yellow,Orange to Red?

• onesteward (Zone 7b)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

The final color is red. This is one cute little plant that keeps on ticking. It now stands a little over one foot tall. One of the only pepper plants that I've been able to keep this long, it's pretty resilient. Perennial like! Here's a picture I just now took of it and a closer look at a little pepper that has been growing on the plant all winter (In the garage with little care). I haven't found any of the saved seeds but as you can see, I will have a chance to save more. :)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    8 years ago

Peppers are Perennial plants. But, in most of the USA, they are grown as annuals.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County