Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thebutcher_gw

How to save seeds in a short time!

thebutcher
10 years ago

I know this has been covered but did not have the time since I am pickling now. But I did not want to waist these.

How do I save seeds, I just took about 300 seeds from the Beaver Dam and put it into a ziplock which is still open as I continue to finish pickling? I made sure they were all the same and not mixing with the other peppers that I am pickling all together.

I mention this because I tried to saved seeds before from that pepper and some others and mold develpoped. I then threw them out, but don't want to ruin them while I continue to finish the canning tonight. I will be back in a few hours if anyone can help. :) And I appolagize for not reading the Faq.

Many thanks,

Mr - Beno

Comments (22)

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

Take them out of the ziplock and put them on a some paper towels or a torn/flat piece of paper bag (exposed and not enclosed, but not in direct sunlight) in a low-humidity place inside the house somewhere.

Let them dry fully over a few days then bag them.

• User
    10 years ago

What nc-crn said. Definitely put them in an area with air flow. Not where the paper towel will blow over and not in an enclosed space like a closed cupboard or closet. Air flow = good when drying quickly.

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 18:50

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

Oh yeah, and lay them flat...single layer...not a pile.

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

I place on a paper towel or on a plate and air dry on the kitchen cabinet or on a shelf in the dining room. Any air dry method above works also.

Mark

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much all, gona do it and I got some video to share soon when I took them out tonight.

Your all the Best!

- Mr Beno

• seysonn
    10 years ago

You got the advice, Mr. Beno. I do the same way : SPREAD ON PAPER TOWEL,...
    Another method: Spread on paper towel, roll it, put is a paper bag, put in the refrigerator. Refrigerator air is very dry and I can even dry bay limes in there. That is good in the summer when normal air is too humid(unless it is air conditioned) but right now home air is pretty dry.

• pepper_rancher
    10 years ago

One addition to the above info: if you want 'clean' seeds roll them up non overlapping and roll them up in some paper towels. Then rub them back and forth... This scrapes off the pepper membrane which sticks to the paper towel, then shake the seeds off onto a clean paper towel for drying as the above posts mentioned. My seeds have never been harmed by sunlight filtered through the kitchen window, and that makes drying pretty quick.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Not entirely desirable, but mold usually doesn't hurt the seed unless it has a considerable time to work. What's molding initially is not the seed but the tissues around the seed - the seed itself is tough and the mold takes a while to get into it.

On the other end, I've tried to start some seeds that immediately molded - undoubtedly left over from before they were dehydrated - but then germinated and grew perfectly well.

As for drying, I use a little plate for each type set atop the corresponding labeled gathering bag (to keep track of what's on the plate) and just spread the seeds out on the plate and leave in the kitchen for a day or so. At this time of year the windows are open so there's plenty of air movement and humidity is a function of the current whim of nature. But no mold.

Dennis

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

I've been putting mine on a paper towel, putting another paper towel on top of it, and put it on top of the fridge. so far, no mold.

• kclost
    10 years ago

Great thread...

Will removing seeds from a dehydrated pepper give you good seeds for next season? I usually cut a slit in the peppers to help in the drying process as well.

This post was edited by kclost on Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 10:26

• User
    10 years ago

kclost,

It depends. Do you have temperature control on your dehydrator and if so, what temp did you set it at? If you do and dried in the 95 - 100F range you should have some viable seed.

If you don't have temp control, odds are that your seeds are baked. Manufacturers of "basic" home dehydrators without temp control have to assume that you'll be doing meat jerky. As such, the machines should be designed to be able to maintain safe food temps... 140+ F. You can still try germinating them but the odds are against you.

FWIW,

Bill

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again all,

Here is a photo of the seeds so far. I put them on a paper plate and covered it with a paper towel and left them in my basement out of light since this past Sunday (3 days aprox).

When Should I ziplock them?

Many Thanks,
    - Mr Beno

• User
    10 years ago

Mr Beno,

How damp is your basement? You should have them in a lower humidity location.

3 (approx) days seems a bit quick to me. If you're not in a hurry and don't need the room, I usually leave mine to dry for 7 - 14 days..Best to make sure they are dry for storage.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

OK. Now that we are talking about pepper seeds drying, I have a question.
    We know that not all seeds are matured and thus viable.
    HOW can you separate the good pepper seeds from the worthless ?
    I know how to do it with tomato seed. After fermenting , I pour it into a tall glass, stir it. Good seed settle down an bad ones float. I pour those out... keep doing it until I have a bunch of good ones at the bottom of glass. An I dry and save those. This way, I will have a better germination rate.

• kclost
    10 years ago

Ottawapepper, I have a non temp controlled dehydrator. So I'm probably out of luck..

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Best way to select viable seeds is to select ripe, healthy peppers to take them from. On the other end, assume that the germination rate won't be 100%.

Dennis

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My basement is not really damp (at least I think) but the humidity upstairs could be worse in the Philly area. That is why I thought it could be best to store them here to dry. I am probably wrong and that is why I love every ones advice here. I will let them dry another 7-10 days or so then package them up. I was gona save the other seeds from other peppers but I am unsure if they were hybrids but the package for the Beavedam said heirloom so I felt confident that they will be original. Plus I didn't want to mix them after cutting.

Thanks again all

- Mr Beno

• User
    10 years ago

Mr Beno,

Good plan to let them go longer. Why would you have mixed seed... paper towel is cheap ;-) I seed mine in batches by variety and put the seeds on paper towel pieces to dry. I make sure my cutting area and knife are clear of seed after each variety.

kclost,

You have the seed already. For personal use (not trading) it won't cost anything to toss them in a starter mix to see if any germinate.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Damp paper towel in a warm spot is a better test bed than starter mix. You can see the little tail as soon as it emerges whereas dirt is opaque last I checked.

But the point is well taken. Don't just toss your seeds, check them out.

Dennis

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Mr. Beno ... when it gets cold(I would think it is in PA right now) and your furnace is running ... the RH in the house drop quite a bit. Actually it would be on the dry side. So drying seed in the house is not a problem. Eventually, seeds will have some moisture too and they are not supposed to have zero moisture content.

• thebutcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again all,

There is a slight possibility some maybe hungarian hotwax, but I don't think the probility is that high. This is because I thought they looked similar but the HHW is shorter. I guess either way I could just label it Hungarian Hot Pepper. But like I said I am pretty sure they are all Beaver Dams.

That is a very good idea after they dry and stuff to test them, Also it is starting to get cold soon in Philly other then today and tomorrow, it hit 75F But this time next week, it is suposed to be in the 50s and drop to around 32-35F for a few nights as TWC states..

• seysonn
    10 years ago

The seeds in the picture all look similar

You can cut another Hungarian and another Beaver dam and compare them. They might look different is color and size.

Sponsored