Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jcav8ter

Fatali sauce or jelly recipe request

jcav8ter
12 years ago

The weather here in Atlanta has definitely taken a change for the colder so I brought my plants in. Several started to ripen immediately, especially my Fatali. Now what to do with all the peppers. I'll use some for making spicy pickles but for the rest I'd like to make a spicy jelly and a sauce. Any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Comments (3)

• romy6
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is a good recipe that Bonnie Highlandtransplant shared with us on her thread.It ain't Fatali but they could be subbed in:)

Here is a link that might be useful: habanero gold jelly

• ottawapepper
    12 years ago

As Romy6 said, you can sub whatever hot peppers you have for any in a recipe. If you're canning, the volume must be the same (ie. 1/ 4 cup habanero = 1/ 4 cup whatever you are subbing with).

Double Batch Habanero Gold Jelly

1 cup minced dried apricots (1/8" dice) Note: Could use dried peaches or pears instead.
    1 1/4 total cups minced red sweet pepper and minced red onion (1/8" dice), approximately half-and-half.
    1/4 cup Habanero peppers (Note: For extra-hot, increase Habaneros to 1/2 cup and reduce red sweet pepper/red onion combination to 1 cup total.)
    1 1/2 cups white vinegar
    6 cups sugar
    1 3-oz. pouch liquid pectin.

Prep apricots, peppers and onion. Place in a large, stainless or other non-reactive pot. Add sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil and cook 5 minutes. Pull off the burner; allow to cool, cover and let sit overnight.
    Stir occasionally if convenient.
    Note: 4-6 hours would be plenty, so the time doesn't need to be any greater than the soaking time for apricots in the original recipe.

Next day, bring the mixture back to the boil. Stir in liquid pectin. Boil hard 1 minute.

Pull off the heat. If necessary, skim foam. Let cool 2 minutes, stirring to distribute solids. Pour into jars. Stir to distribute and remove air bubbles. Do the usual with the jars and lids, BWB 10 minutes.

When jars are sealed, "agitate" to distribute solids throughout the jelly.

Yield: 6 8-oz. jars.

----------------

Turkey's Revenge

Ingredients:

3/4 cup cider vinegar
    3/4 cup white vinegar
    2 cups 100% unsweetened cranberry juice
    1/2 cup finely diced habanero pepper
    1/2 cup finely diced red onion
    1 3/4 cups fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
    1 pkg liquid pectin
    5 cups sugar

Procedure:

1. Finely dice peppers and onion and coarsely chop cranberries
    2. In a large sauce pan, combine cranberries, pepper, onion, vinegars, and juice
    3. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low
    4. Simmer 15 to 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend and to soften up cranberries
    5. Add sugar and return to a hard boil for 1 minute
    6. Remove from heat and stir liquid pectin in well
    7. Add jelly to hot sterilized jars
    8. Wipe rim of jars with a clean damp towel
    9. Position lids as per usual instructions
    10. Process in a hot water bath for 10 minutes
    11. Remove jars and allow them to cool
    12. During the cooling, periodically "gently" invert jars to distribute solids.

Yield 7 or 8 - 250ml (1 cup) jars

Easy Hot Sauce

Pickled Hot Peppers

Pickled Jalapeno Rings

Peppersauce

The following recipes, as far as I'm aware, have not been vetted by certified canning instructors or officially tested as safe for canning but have enough acid to non-acid ingredients for my comfort zone. I've made both with great success.

Habanero Mustard

Hotter than Heinz Ketchup

Whenever I'm looking for new ideas for using my peppers I check this site's Recipe page for inspiration. Recipe categories are on the left hand side of page.

Pepper Fool Recipes

• jcav8ter
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info, very helpful.

John

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?