Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ottawapepper

Proof that Hell can freeze over

ottawapepper
14 years ago

Hi,

The season here is over. Ive moved the last two slow poke (Trinidad Scorpion and BishopÂs Crown) plants inside to ripen up and harvested the last of my Jolokia pods.

I dried my previous Jolokia fruit as it ripened. This final harvest is destined for Golden Ghost Jelly later in the fall. Sliced them all in half (saved some seed from the ripe pods) and froze them. Here are some shots.

Nasty looking buggers eh!

The final 2009 harvest of Bhut, Bih and Dorsets.

Out of the freezer (YES, HELL does freeze over!!!) Man, the fumes when cutting were deadly.

Vacuum sealed for safety :-)

Bill

Comments (6)

• organic_dusty
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

They look incredible:) Good for you....I would love the ghost jelly recipe if you can share it with me....we are patiently waiting here for some pods to ripen:)

Dusty

• reyna1
    14 years ago

haha, those pods look evil!!

just in time for halloween - the ghost chile!!

• smokemaster_2007
    14 years ago

I thaught hell freezin over was when you take a dump in the morning after eating a couple bhuts...Hell
    You cool things down with frozen toilet paper and then putting on the shorts that were next to the paper in the freezer too.

Nice looking heaters you have there.
    Won't have to defrost the freezer for a while.

• booberry85
    14 years ago

Nice looking peppers Bill. Too hot for me though! I'm sure eating those peppers will help thaw you when the Arctic winds come this winter!

• ottawapepper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

smokemaster, you are the first person who has told me I have nice looking heaters (blush).

organic_dusty, Id be happy to share my Golden Ghost Jelly recipe with you and everyone else. Honestly, its not original. Im just substituting Bhuts for Habaneros in the Habanero Gold recipe and renaming it :-))) "Originality is undetected plagiarism."

In case youre not familiar with the recipe, here are two versions. The first is the original Habanero Gold from the Bernardin (Canadian version of the Ball Blue Book). It only makes a small amount. The second is a double batch version developed by Readinglady over on the Harvest Forum.

Habanero Gold Jelly

1/3 cup finely sliced dried apricots
    3/4 cup white vinegar
    1/4 up finely diced red onion
    1/4 cup finely diced sweet red pepper
    1/4 cup finely diced habanero peppers, including seeds
    OR 1/4 cup diced, combined jalapeno and Scotch Bonnet peppers
    3 cups granulated sugar
    1 pouch Certo liquid pectin

Cut apricots into 1/8 inch slices. Measure into a large deep stainless steel saucepan with vinegar; let stand 4 hours. Individually, cut onion and seeded peppers into 1/8 inch slices; cut slices into 1/4 inch dice. Measure each ingredient; add to apricots. Stir in sugar.

Over high heat, bring to a full roiling boil. Stirring constantly, boil hard 1 minute. Remove from heat. Immediately stir in pectin, mixing well.
    Pour jelly into hot jar, dividing solids equally among jars and filling each jar to within 1/4 inch of top rim. Wipe rims. Apply lids.

Process 10 minutes in BWB (boiling water bath). Cool upright, until lids pop down, about 30 minutes. When lids are concave but the jelly is still hot, carefully grasp jar without disturbing lid and invert, twist, or rotate each jar to distribute solids throughout jelly. The jar can be inverted temporarily but do not allow it to stand upside-down for prolonged periods.

Repeat as necessary during the cooling/setting time, until solids remain suspended in the jelly.

Yield: 3 half pints

----------------
    Double Batch Habanero Gold Jelly

1 cup minced dried apricots (1/8" dice) Note: Could use dried peaches or pears instead.
    1 1/4 total cups minced red sweet pepper and minced red onion (1/8" dice), approximately half-and-half.
    1/4 cup Habanero peppers (Note: For extra-hot, increase Habaneros to 1/2 cup and reduce red sweet pepper/red onion combination to 1 cup total.)
    1 1/2 cups white vinegar
    6 cups sugar
    1 3-oz. pouch liquid pectin.

Prep apricots, peppers and onion. Place in a large, stainless or other non-reactive pot. Add sugar and vinegar. Bring to the boil and cook 5 minutes. Pull off the burner; allow to cool, cover and let sit overnight.
    Stir occasionally if convenient.
    Note: 4-6 hours would be plenty, so the time doesn't need to be any greater than the soaking time for apricots in the original recipe.

Next day, bring the mixture back to the boil. Stir in liquid pectin. Boil hard 1 minute.

Pull off the heat. If necessary, skim foam. Let cool 2 minutes, stirring to distribute solids. Pour into jars. Stir to distribute and remove air bubbles. Do the usual with the jars and lids, BWB 10 minutes.

When jars are sealed, "agitate" to distribute solids throughout the jelly.

Yield: 6 8-oz. jars.

• ottawapepper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

booberry85, they may help reduce the heating bills this winter!

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz