Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ottawapepper

My largest small harvest this season

ottawapepper
10 years ago

Hi Folks,

Unlike last season, my plants were limited this year. I've been harvesting pods here and there as they ripened over the past couple of months but nothing to fill a plate and photograph.

Anyhow, with the weather turning against me now, I pulled whatever was almost ripe to ripe a few days ago.

Middle: Chimayo. Clockwise from the 1:00 position: Chocolate Bhut Jolokia; Savinas; a couple of small Bhuts; Moruga and Butch T's; stunted Berbere's; Orange Habs and finally, my most prolific plant this year, Esox07's Naga Morich's.

Overnight today it's going to get close to freezing overnight so I pulled pods from plants destined for compost and moved a couple of others inside.

Here's a couple of shots of today's small harvest of mainly Botinecka Zuta and a few Orange Habs and Savina's.

For some reason my yellows didn't get the memo that the season is ending, they're taking their time ripening. I've moved my Yellow Bhut Jolokia and Trinidad Scorpion FG inside. I've harvested 8 or so Yellow Bhuts so far but there's still 30 odd green pods on the plant. I've got easily 200 pods on my TS FG but it's only now starting to ripen. It's a real tease!

Here's a couple of shots of the FG (not a pure Scorpion but the only variety that consistently puts out a stinger on at least 90% of its pods).

FWIW,

BBill

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 19:23

Comments (16)

• tsheets
    10 years ago

That's a nice variety - lots of colors and shapes, Bill! You sure those aren't tomatoes? ;-)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Nice pods Bill. I bet those pods will ripen if you can keep the plant warm somewhat. They're almost there!

Kevin

• Armageddon
    10 years ago

great job on the harvest bill and thanks for resending me that recipe i would be interested in some of those Trinidad Scorpion FG seed if you have any to spare i have some things for trade if your looking for any seed .Were looking at some bad weather to i will be doing a harvest tomorrow then getting ready for the battle looks like next 4 days will be rough 36 32 32& possible snow 30

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Nice job.
    I think you've enough for whole year's supply for sauce, powder and pickle.
    Enjoy !

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

Bill - Great photo of your pickings. I pulled the plug this past week with pulling the last of my plants on Saturday (got down to low 30's). Was great-full for a longer season at the end here in MN compared to most years.

The FG looks great. I've not grown any type of Scorpions yet, so may have to try a scorpion or two.

I've not seen/nor tried a 'Botinecka Zuta' before, can you enlighten us about them. I like that they look like small toms.

Sandy

• rdback
    10 years ago

Nice pods Bill!

Sorry to hear you had to cut back this year. Does that mean no Grim Reaper 2013?

I sure hope your pepper prospects work out for the 2014 season.

Good luck on the selling/buying home front.

Rick

• John A
    10 years ago

Nice harvest, Bill. Very pretty variety. I'm still spending about a half day every week stemming and seeding. Supposed to get some temps in the mid 30s in southern CT this week though. As usual, I'm going to have to finish ripening my Manzanos inside this year.
    John A

• ottawapepper
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Armageddon, send me your mailing address, I can't find it in my notes.

Sandy, the Botinecka Zuta is a Balkan heirloom pepper. It's a Hungarian cheese type variety like the Alma. Both are used to make a sweet paprika. It has a thick flesh with a firm crunch and no heat. I've read they also make a mice stuffing pepper.

I can't find your address either. Send it to me and I'll forward some seeds and a couple of Scorpion varieties for you to try.

Here's a few additional shots Botinecka shots that I hope help illustrate size and flesh thickness.

For US viewers:

For Canadian viewers (on a new plastic $20)

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

Yep, some cool looking peppers there Bill. I pulled my peppers last week. The weather held out longer than I expected but now we are in the 40's for highs and 20's for lows with a sudden end to the Indian Summer. I hate to say it but I threw out a whole lot of super hots. I grew one Giant Ghost and it had 4-5 dozen pods on it and nearly half were nice and red when I pulled it. My Carolina Reaper started slow this year but put out a ton of nice pods. I tossed that with 70+ pods on it and easily half were ripe red. My Butch-T grew very vigourously but only put out about a dozen pods and I only got two of them to ripen before the end of the season. I know, heresy in tossing perfectly good, ripe peppers, but I just have no real use for the super hots. I just grew them for the novelty, I guess. I would have gladly given them away but I don't know anyone that was willing to take them...hahaha. I guess I live too far from the Mexican border or something.
    Bruce

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

Nice haul considering you down sized this season. Hopefully everything will be back to normal next year. I enjoy seeing your large harvest shots.

Tim

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

That's a decent harvest, alright!
    Those Yellow Bhuts don't get the message...they take their sweet time. I recall harvesting the last of 'em in December (in the cold-frame). Probably doin' the same this season.

Good to see all you other fellows, by the way!

Josh

• mspeppajo
    10 years ago

Hi Bill
    Are u moving? I didn't know! Well Hon, I have given up on the Habanero plants...they got as far as flowering but the weather is just going to cool down too much for them to produce anything now... The same with my Trinidad S. Those definitely need to be started early and I just did not have enough time. I might get that one Alma red but I don't know about the others! I am going to see if I can bring my black Cubans, black pearls, Takanosume and a couple other plants indoors and see if I can get them to finish inside then I think I am going to totally start all over again next season. Totally new plants, etc. unless JJ wants to keep a plant or two to take care of!! So I will have to check around for some of the seeds I need. And I DEFINITELY will get started early this year!! Oh by the way would you happen to have those two recipes you sent me last year? One was the Carribean BBQ sauce the other was a sauce or salsa that used part of a 7 pot pepper. I lost it when we moved! Thanks Bill!!

• Armageddon
    10 years ago

Bill i will send another email but i need your shipping info first.... you can wait until my package arrives would like to try a few of those Botinecka seed to if you have any extras i am going to be sending you a package with some goodies that you surly will enjoy along with a self paid envelope or enough funds to cover the post back to me or if you have a paypal account you can just send a request for funds .

• sandysgardens
    10 years ago

Bill - Thanks for the offer of seeds. I'll shoot you an email and hopefully we can work out a trade. The Botinecka Zuta does sound like a great stuffer as well as a paprika powder....

Bruce - Shoot I wish I knew you had those extra super hots, I would have crossed the border and met up with ya!

Sandy

• mspeppajo
    10 years ago

Bill. If you have an extra few of those Botinecka seeds could you float a few down my way. There heat is about my speed... Nil!!! JJ and D ( my second son-only 13 months between them) are the ones into the Superhots now!!! I thought eating the Superhots would mess with (not to be gross about this) mucous production and lord knows what with insulin, pancreas, etc. so we really did not want D eating them at first . He has Cystic Fibrosis and asthma and we didn't want him to trigger anything bad . However, last year he started eating some hot peppers and he seems to be willing to try more and more - so far with no side effect so ...he's a teen what can I do?! We'll let me finish my emails!!!! Thanks Bill

Jo

• northern_hab
    10 years ago

Bill,
    Still a nice harvest. Here on the west of Toronto. I got a wopping 3 orange habs, a handfull of thai's and maybe 6 jalepenos.

I pulled all the green off a couple of nights ago as we were starting to have overnight frost. Put them all in my dehydrator to grind for my shaker.
    Hope we have better weather for the pepper season next year.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz