Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_missy

Peppers and Vinegar

Bill_Missy
10 years ago

Hello all,

Dumb question but just wanting to make sure. I picked over 200 pods today (Bhut, Reaper, Fatali, Naga's) but I do not have the time right now to make sauces and I already have plenty of dried pods/flakes/powder.

Question is: I cut all the pods in half and put into separate mason jar's with nothing but 5% Vinegar, will I be okay with this for the next couple weeks when I have the time to make sauces? Do I need to put in the refrigerator or will counter top do? Any other thing I need to do? Just trying to be safe here.

Thanks,

Bill

Comments (12)

• gfinnil
    10 years ago

Bill you should probably just mail the extra pods to me :) Kidding, but curious to see what vinegar does to the flavor and texture of the pods.
    Jerry

This post was edited by gfinnil on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 22:42

• pepper_rancher
    10 years ago

I would put them in the ratio of vinager to water that you want to use for the hot sauce, that way just blend it all up with the liquid it's in when you're ready. To be on the safe side I would refrigerate the jars until you have a chance to boil it all...

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

the only thing to worry about is that vinegar degrades capsaicin. as such, the peppers will come out not as hot as they went in.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Straight household vinegar (4.5% - 5%) is safe preserver without any special processing(No need to boil, cook, vacuum etc). I have some that are over 3 years old.

When the time come to make sauce with them, use the same vinegar that the peppers have been marinated in. So, no heat will be lost.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

"When the time come to make sauce with them, use the same vinegar that the peppers have been marinated in. So, no heat will be lost. "

I would argue that it should read "no ADDITIONAL heat will be lost." sauces get milder over time anyway. that's why when making sauce I've learned that if it tastes "just right" when being made, add 30-50% more peppers, that way it'll still taste "just right" a week or so later. I always shoot for "way too hot" when making sauces, that way they come out perfect.

• rdback
    10 years ago

"I cut all the pods in half and put into separate mason jar's with nothing but 5% Vinegar..."

"...will I be okay with this for the next couple weeks when I have the time to make sauces?" Yes

"...Do I need to put in the refrigerator or will counter top do?" No, Yes

"...Any other thing I need to do?" No

The pH of 5% vinegar ranges somewhere between 2.4 - 3.4, well below the USDA recommended 4.6 max.

Another option not mentioned is simply freezing your pods. That way, you can accumulate your pods during the season and process all at once at the end of the season, or whenever the mood strikes.

Freezing also keeps your options open for processing, including fermentation.

Enjoy your sauce(s) and don't forget to post pics!

Rick

L-R: Red Hinkelhatz, Peach Habanero, Biker Billy F1

• seysonn
    10 years ago

"The pH of 5% vinegar ranges somewhere between 2.4 - 3.4, well below the USDA recommended 4.6 max. "
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I strongly disagree.
    Lower pH means MORE acid. Therefore pH of 2.4 - 3.4 is well within safety region.
    Another thing : pH of vinegar with 5% acetic acid is 2,4.(always)
    If you mix such vinegar with water (50% vinegar/ 50% water) it will have a pH of 2.7.
    UNLESS it is not a vinegar with true 5% acidity, as the label says.

This post was edited by seysonn on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 2:51

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Posted by judo_and_peppers Tampa FL (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 10:25
    I would argue that it should read "no ADDITIONAL heat will be lost." sauces get milder
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    OK. I am not a chemist but I know that Capsaisin is an oil. Does vinegar dissolve or neutralize it ? I also know that the vinegar in which hot pepper is pickled gets hot. Obviously some of the heat of the peppers get into the vinegar . But does sum of the capsaisin (in peppers + vinegar) is less that what it originally was in the pepper ?
    If so, then you are correct. I don't know the answer.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

acids (including vinegar) break down capsaicin. as I understand it, the lactic acid in milk is what helps get rid of the burn when you eat it. my very first sauce I ever made was just thai peppers, vinegar, and salt put into a blender and liquified. I put way too much vinegar, so it was extremely watery. when I first tried it, it was quite hot. when I tried it again a week later, all the pepper flavor was still there, but every last bit of the heat was gone. I ended up just throwing it away.

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Seysonn:

I don't think it's so much of a "dissolving" thing.. Rather a reaction that takes place when acid is added to peppers that it lessens the heat factor. Sugar and dairy do the same thing.

And, of course, vinegar that's had peppers in it gets hot. In that case, I think it's just a matter of diffusion. Molecules move from areas of higher concentration to areas of lower concentration.

Who knows? Maybe nc-crn will chime in.

Kevin

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Judo .... the lactic acid that mentioned, if it dissolves capsaicin then acetic acid might do it as well. But the way I understood was that it is the oil in dairy products that removes capsaicin. For that reason vegetable oils also is effective(Oil diluting oil).

I have some pickled Birds Eye for 3 years, in vinegar. I just fished one out and ate it. Still very hot but not as fresh one, of course. The vinegar was just as hot as the pepper. I can use that vinegar and make hot sauce with sweet red bell pepper.

Kevin ... I think what you said makes sense to me. vinegar maybe blocks and dilutes concentration of capsaicin.

• rdback
    10 years ago

"Lower pH means MORE acid. Therefore pH of 2.4 - 3.4 is well within safety region."

...which is BELOW the USDA recommended maximum of 4.6. Most sauce makers shoot for below 4.0. I believe we are saying the same thing.

"Another thing : pH of vinegar with 5% acetic acid is 2,4.(always)"

It depends on the TYPE of vinegar, i.e. cider, rice, wine, etc. A 5% acid content does not ALWAYS equal a pH of 2.4. For example, apple cider vinegar has an alkaline ash added which raises its' pH to 2.8 - 3.0.

jm2c

Rick

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia