Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
normansfarm

Popular peppers for vinager pepper sauce.

NormansFarm
10 years ago

This is my first year making pepper sauce using peppers and vinegar(for greens). The only peppers I used were tobasco peppers. Can anyone recommend some popular peppers to use?

Comments (5)

• northerner_on
    10 years ago

The hot peppers used in pepper sauce are usually a matter of availability, cultural heritage, and personal taste. Any and all hot peppers can be used. If you Google 'hot pepper list' you will find lots of suggestions. If I am making a mild sauce, I use primarily cayennes and any other 'salsa' type pepper. For something hotter and more flavourful (my taste) I use scotch bonnets and something yellow (maybe hot lemon) because I find that blend tasty. To make it hotter add some scorpions or bhuts; and chocolates add another layer of flavour. Then you can vary the amount of pepper to control the heat factor. I just 'wing' it all the time - no set recipe - just let your imagination rip!! Some cultures add spices like garlic, onion,mustard, horseradish, green mangoes,and celery seed that all add to the flavour. Maybe you can come up with some additions of your own. Please share.

• rdback
    10 years ago

Hi Joey83.

You must be a southerner lol! Pepper vinegar on greens is awesome.

You can use any pepper you like, but the Tabasco is traditional. Other choices might be jalapeno, cayenne, birdseye, chiltepin, some of the Thai varieties or some of the wild varieties. There are lots to choose from.

My personal favorites are Lemon Drop, Orange and Red Thai, or Naga Jolokia PC-1. If you would like to grow any of these, shoot me an e-mail with your info and I'll send you some seeds.

Now I'm hungry.

Rick

• NormansFarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah I have been just winging it. I just didn't know if there was a go to pepper or peppers for this. Yeah I live in north Florida and my family loves greens. Someone was talking me about the datel pepper. I might try growing some next year.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

honestly, pretty much any pepper goes well in vinegar for hot sauce. those are in fact the 2 main ingredients for hot sauce. it's really a question of what flavor you're going for. what do you mean by "for greens"? as in a green sauce, sauce made from peppers that are still green? I don't have any experience with that, I've only used ripe peppers. in terms of best ones for sauces my favorites are habaneros and 7pots.

• tsheets
    10 years ago

There's always the bottles of little green peppers in vinegar you find in some restaurants. I think I read here that they are made with Sport peppers. Never grown them, just throwing that out there.

@Rick - How have I never thought of making a spicy vinaigrette dressing? insert_facepalm_here :-)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets