Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
byron_gw

Chimayo Chiles

byron
17 years ago

FWIW

Last year and this year I went to a chile event in Indy

I harvested a few Chimayo Chile peppers (last year, this year a shopping bag full)

In the low heat range these were the most awesome tasting chiles I have ever tasted, I now use Chimayo's in place of black pepper.

For those into heirlooms, The Chimayo was first recorded in

1. The only land race chile recorded in the USA, Found in by Spanish explorers in Chimayo, NM.

Was said that it was one of the Nu Mex parents..

I love them, got several oz packaged in about 30 seeds1/pkg, one plant is enough for a year. even for Zone 4 growers, Zone 2 or 3 ??

Wanna try some? cost you a 39 cent stamp and a SASE

Byron

Comments (11)

• noinwi
    17 years ago

Byron, would you be able to post a pic of one of your Chimayos? I purchased seed from Reimers(yeah, I know) last winter and although I haven't harvested many(hailus interruptus), I would like to see if what I have is the real thing. The top pepper here is the Chimayo, the bottom is Aji Dulce(hot strain). I brought one plant of each inside at the onset of frost, but they are not ripening, just shriveling green. I still have plants outside that are still green, even though we've had a warm spell...it's very frustrating! Anyway, I'd appreciate it if you could let me see whatcha got!
    {{gwi:1236106}}

• cmpman1974
    17 years ago

I can't comment on Chimayo as I never grew it. However, the bottom pepper is as far from Aji Dulce as I have ever seen! Aji Dulce is a mild C. Chinese I was told. Ripens to red.

Chris

• noinwi
    17 years ago

Chris,
    You're absolutely right. It's a Guajillo. I need to label my pics and not rely on my(less than sharp) memory. However, the Aji Dulce I have is one of the hot strains, and is shaped a bit differently from the habenaro shaped ones(which I also have).

• sndk
    17 years ago

I sent you email, would love to try out some chimayos!

• byron
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The top one looks close to chimayo, what bothers me is that they normaly ripen in 60 days at 5,000 ft elevation. If you aren't picking ripe ones by now, sometins wrong

• noinwi
    17 years ago

It just hasn't been a good year weather wise. All my plants were doing pretty well until the hailstorm in August. Most of the pepper plants lost about 2/3 of their foliage and all of the developing fruit. They basically had to start over. Now I'm looking at lots of green fruit and temps that are just not warm enough. I'm checking peppers every day for any sign of color so I can pick a few. The one in the picture was one from the plant I dug up and brought in. It was well enough along to ripen, but the others on the plant have shriveled(I suspect I did too much damage to roots when digging). I have one more Chimayo plant outside, and hopefully, by covering it on frosty nights for the next couple of weeks, I'll get a few more peppers. I'll be trying again next year, in any case. I am aware of Reimer's reputation and I was hoping that I really did get Chimayo seeds, and it seems as though I did. I appreciate your observations, opinions and expertise...thanks!

• sndk
    17 years ago

"Wanna try some? cost you a 39 cent stamp and a SASE"

Can I take you up on that offer?

• cuda
    17 years ago

Should the seeds be planted in March?

• byron
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Should the seeds be planted in March?

Depends on your last frost and average warm up. Chiles grow
    slower than tomaotes so I like about a 12 week transplant.
    If I start the end of March for a 2nd week in June plant our.

The ones between the Cayannes and the Fataliis are Chimayo's

Here is a link that might be useful: Peppers

• txboob_yahoo_com
    17 years ago

can chimayos be stuffed for rellenos? how are they used most often---fresh or dried? being that i grow on an island in washington state, we have a short growing season.
    the quicker the better i think

and yes, noinwi, i love to send you the dough and etc...to try next year.....i guess you write me...ok thanx-bob

• mark_h
    17 years ago

Byron,

Thank you for the seeds. I have started my Chimayos that you sent me and they are just growing their second sets of leaves.

I live in an apartment and have to container garden. What do you think the best sized pot would be for this variety?

Thanks,

Mark