Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
persimmonbob

My pepper nightmare!!

Monyet
9 years ago

I got a surprise package from Ottowa Pepper last winter for a fresh start in pepper culture.To my surprise i got more peppers and don't know what to do with that many peppers.
When you do not know what you are growing that make it so much worse.

Comments (6)

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Can we get a close-up of the peppers? It is hard to tell what you have at that distance. What do they taste like?

Not really a nightmare in my opinion. You can freeze, cook, make powder, eat raw (it goes on and on) . Its good to have healthy producing bushes.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 10:52

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    9 years ago

The one on the right looks like birds eye or Thai. The one on the left looks like peppadew, have you tasted any of them? The peppadew should have a sweet bite at first before the heat quickly takes over.

As Ronny suggested many ways to use a pepper.

Mark

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Bush on left is C.chinense (as is Peppadew). Bush on the right is not chinense - likely C.baccatum or possibly C.annum. Need to see the pods.

BTW, I have never bit a Peppadew with any appreciable heat.

Dennis

Hey Bill. What did you send him?

• Monyet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What i got from Bill: Chrismas bell,peppa dew, Numex sweet, Dragon claw, Chimayo, Kurtovska, Alma , Piri-piri,Blue Mistic( very hot)
    Picture shows a small collection, some plants are over 4 feet tall and cannot stays in tomato wires cages, too much weight..

• User
    9 years ago

Hi persimmonbob,

Mark nailed it in my opinion. Left looks like a Peppadew and right looks like a Piri Piri (African Bird Eye - a C.frutescens). It clocks in at 150,000 SHU on average. It's great for making... wait for it... Portuguese Piri Piri sauce / marinade for chicken, shrimp etc. ;-))

I'm with Dennis, I don't find Peppadews have much if any heat. The commercial ones in jars get their moderate heat from added hotter peppers in the brine.

The Blue Mistic didn't come from me. Never heard of it before?

Nice looking plants BTW. Nice job.

Bill

This post was edited by ottawapepper on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 17:43

• Monyet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Blue Mistic came from the Pepperlover, it was my first encounter with the hot pepper forum.That pepper was the only one to survive and that plant is huge, tall and wide with tons of very hot peppers but small and very seedy.That was 2013,it survive the winter in my basement shop( lighted and warm).
    I have never eaten so many pepper/sausage dishes in my live.I have to pick another batch in the next 2 days to freeze.My wife can't believe there were so much and i mean alot.She might go nuts next year.
    Thaks Bill!!
    Bob.

Sponsored