Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scorpion_john

The original Reaper?

scorpion_john
9 years ago

Heres another little experiment i grew for my own curiosity. Can you tell the difference? 2 are Reapers and 2 are Primo. To me no real difference in heat or taste. i would say my Reapers were more productive than the Primo. John

Comments (29)

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

I tried to do the same myself only none of my premos came out true. No regrets one has a flavor that is a seed savor.
    I want to grow Premos next year but need seed. Reapers are very productive.

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

I had some Reaper pods that looked exactly like my 7 pot infinity pods. I wonder if it could be a Primo/Infinity cross? It seems when the tail didn't develop, it looked like an infinity.

Tim

• Djole
    9 years ago

I'd guess top left and bottom right are reapers

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    9 years ago

top is Primo... bottom are Reapers

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

I cant tell ,Growing Reapers myself I could find a pepper to fit any one of those. I want Primo seed for next year.

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave,

i got you covered buddy, i am not bagging seeds yet. still busy cutting peppers. but i have tons of seed drying and will make sure you get some. John

• jtight
    9 years ago

Scorp - Tried sending you couple emails about seeds; however, I keep getting a MSG Delivery Error.

Johnny

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Johnny,

you probally had the old one. had to delete it. people were getting spam from it. the one on here is current

• jtight
    9 years ago

you'll have to email me
    jluse21@yahoo.com

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Johnny,

i emailed you my new address. i also updated my trade list on here if you wanna take a look, didn't get around to the seeds i'm looking for yet. still thinking about that one. John

• plantsman56
    9 years ago

Let's try top left and bottom right are Primos. Too much variation to say for sure on either of these. I got my Primo seeds from Troy. There is an obvious difference in taste and a little difference in heat, but just by pictures of pods, even when I'm picking both each can look the same.

• TNKS
    9 years ago

Solid Primo strains are every bit as hot and flavorful as the Reaper.
    The reaper "fad" is finally dieing off,plenty of other strains can run with it.
    Taste is complete BS! in these ranks
    If you get flavor its all of 3 sec and your head begins to unscrew from the base,dont buy into the hype
    Get some yellow primo pods and they are really good fresh or powdered

• chervil2
    9 years ago

What exactly do you do with these horribly hot peppers? They seem so ghastly hot that I seem only inclined to admire them hanging from the plant. I need some inspiration and some calming of my fears that I might poison myself with actually eating them.

• jtight
    9 years ago

@ TNKS - if you have some you're willing to part w/ let me know.

Johnny

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

@ chervil2. You posted, "that I seem only inclined to admire them hanging from the plant" but the beauty of hot peppers is you can grow them with lower heat levels like Trinidad Perfume or Ají dulce.

Good luck growing fellow Taxachusetts resident!

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Interesting comparison.

When I look at those 4 pods, the only difference i can identify with is the size. Shapes are not that much different .A single plant can produce much more pods with varied shapes.
    Then, of course, I am just a newbie here.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

> "I need some inspiration and some calming of my fears that I might poison myself with actually eating them."

Your primary inspiration should be the apparent mental health of the pepper-scarfing nuts that post here. [Wait, that was self-contradictory, wasn't it?] If it were possible to poison oneself with peppers, they would have accomplished it long ago.

Which is not to say that the "reaper" is not misnamed because it merely makes you wish you were dead...

Seriously, unless you already have the emotional scars, you don't want to "eat" a super-hot pepper. You can snack on bits of it - and that (very thin slices) is the best way to get a feel for the flavor and the heat without the trauma .. err .. drama. Then start to mix the bits into food. It takes quite a lot of a pepper before the heat will overwhelm accompanying food.

Or give them away on Halloween.

-

Dennis, reaped, mixing metaphors like crazy

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

mixing metaphors like crazy

• scorpion_john
    Original Author
    9 years ago

in my opinion, they are close heat and taste wise. The Reapers seemed to be more productive. i'll try it again next year and see if the Reapers still out produce the Primo.

• TNKS
    9 years ago

Some do confirm 2nd season reapers really get busy

As for poisoning ? yes to some people it can be as close as it comes. High level cap peppers will really jack them up as their systems react in terms of "severe allergy" requiring ER procedures to recover.
    Although rare it can still pop up when least expected.

Those asshats you see on the vids munching whole super pods
    are either very lonely or freakish masochistic exhibitionist.
    Very few actually"enjoy" the experience IMO.

I try all new strains the same way,Ive had over 130 to date
    Stem and cut each pod length wise into 1/8ths(wearing gloves of coarse)
    Sample the pod from top to bottom for fairness,also a well proven method of damage control :)

I also remove as many seeds as possible without disturbing the placenta.
    Reason being I believe it is the cause of the"floral demon" thats responsible for undo funkyness to many fine strains, Butch T,Chocolates etc being labeled.
    Ive worked it thru personally,both fresh and powdered,with seeds and without and find considerable difference in flavor profiles respectively.

Summery:
    Seeds are for planting :>)

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Allergic reaction?

Try panic attack.

DMF

• chervil2
    9 years ago

This is an entertaining forum! I have been shy about hot peppers ever since growing a red Fatali. A few were placed on the grill along with some beautiful lamb chops and other vegetables. I took one bite of the grilled Fatali as an appetizer. I left the dinner table and spent the next four hours writhing in pain and debating whether or not to go to the local ER. It was a nightmare that I do not want to repeat. My son turned 21 recently and has impressed his college friends with alcohol and Carolina Reapers. I have yet to even have a small taste and would happily consider a new home from the dozen that are hanging on the plant right now. Yes, Taxachusetts is where I live and grow strange plants!

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

I see that you have yet maintained your sense of humor. :-D

Fatalii may not be a "super-hot", but it's definitely "dam-hot" so I'm not surprised that you would have a near-apoplectic experience from chomping down on one unprepared. But four hours? You mean your mouth was burning for that long? Did you perchance get some on your hands and spread it around?

Last might I tried some chopped reaper in queso. I expected it to be hot, but holy moly! it was painful. Yet I couldn't stop eating it. Strange stuff, this weaponized fruit juice...

Dennis

Fwiw. these long-dicked reaper pods are the hottest things I have yet dealt with. I don't see any point to looking for anything hotter...

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

I find that with any hot pepper that I put in salsa, as long as you keep eating it you are fine. It is when you stop that the pain sets in.

So I will usually have a mass eating frenzy of chips and salsa with very little talk and/or breathing. Then when I have my fill I will stop and suffer the consequences.

Works well going in, not so well a few hours later coming out.

TMI?

-Susan

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Yep.

Fortunately some (most?) of us don't have that problem,

But think of it this way: Twice the endorphins.

Dennis

• kclost
    9 years ago

Dennis, were those the reaper pods I sent you? They do keep a fairly long time before going to mush....

Layton

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Oh yeah. They're still perky. Pods will last a LONG time in the fridge if you keep them out of enclosing plastic bags etc.

In the case of these reaper pods, they are scary hot and I'm still trying to figure out what to do with them. I was thinking jam, but they're too hot for a small batch.

Thanks, btw. These are great pods. Reapers aren't as tasty as e.g. Butch T, but they got the heat game beat.

Dennis

• kclost
    9 years ago

Yea, I tried very small slivers of the reaper with some cheeze and crackers. Probably ate almost half of a pod one evening that way. Blew me away, and the next morning my gut was all tore up.

I plan to mix up Fataliis, morugas, ghosts, a few 7-pots, and the Reapers together to make sauce. Hopefully the flavor will be good, lots of heat and not gut destroying like a raw reaper. I'll send you a bottle if I think it's good enough..

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Of course, I wouldn't be able to evaluate it without a bottle.

I like my hot sauce hot, btw...

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?