Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepperguy18

Growing habaneros indoors in October?

pepperguy18
9 years ago

I recently bought a few packets of habanero seeds (of different variety) and was wondering if it would be wise to start growing them right now. I have Red & Blue lights for the plants when they do germinate, I have a heat mat for germination as well.

My plan was to put the seeds folded in a wet paper towel then into a plastic ziploc bag to have them sprout while on the heat mat. Then after they do sprout put them into a growing 'cell tray'. After they get large enough then I'll plant them into a pot for indoor growing.

I live in the Midwest and falls rolling around as well as the cold weather. I've heard they're slow growers and hoped by the time they started producing, or getting large, sunlight would be getting stronger towards the spring.

Would this be a bad idea?

Comments (10)

• toolstack
    9 years ago

Hello
    Sounds like they will be fine, I'm going to start my seeds in December and will use a heat mat for seeds and a grow light when the break ground.
    Good luck
    Randal

• seysonn
    9 years ago

That is the way I do too, Randal.

After germination, heating mat no longer is needed.. Seedling will do just fine at room temps ( 65F +). Too much heat might even cause lanky seedlings.

Another thing : TIMING

I start sowing peppers about 6 weeks before our LFD. For example: Our LFD is on/about 1st of April. I start on/about 14th of February. I dont grow super hots but I think you can start them even couple of weeks early, as they grow at a slower rate.

Seysonn

• pepperguy18
    Original Author
    9 years ago

How do I figure out the LFD for my area? Is it usually the same time every year?

And on another note, the seed packets I bought recently said the date 'December 2014' (bought at seedsavers), does that mean they aren't good after that time? Are they basically worthless to me if I started sowing in Feb?

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Pepperguy,

LFD date is a statistical average date. There are few versions of it like 5%, 10%, 20% probability that frost might happen after a given date. Commonly most people take the 10% probability date.So really it is not a fixed date

To find out : Just google "Last Frost Date ...[your city, state]"

Seysonn

• don555
    9 years ago

The date printed on your packet is a "best before" date. Doesn't mean they are worthless after that, pepper plants will still germinate years after the BB date if stored properly (cool, dry, dark). The germination rate will go down year after year, but usually it's pretty good for at least 3 years, sometimes longer.

• don555
    9 years ago

BTW, I have grown nagas indoors during winter, and they are in the same C. chinense genus as habaneros so growth rates are probably similar. For seeds planted indoors in July, they get their first blooms in November, and the peppers are red and ready for picking in February. So if you want to plant them out when they start flowering, my experience says that takes about 4 months from sowing, so plan accordingly.

• HotHabaneroLady
    9 years ago

Habanero peppers are slow starters, but not necessarily slow growers. Once they get going, they can grow pretty fast.

If you start them indoors in October, bear in mind that they will probably grow very slowly indeed. The shorter days, lower temperatures, and lower sun usually mean much slower growth. Unless, of course, you are in the tropics.

Angie

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Or have indoor lights.

• HotHabaneroLady
    9 years ago

Silly me for overlooking that the OP mentioned having lights. I usually assume people don't. But I stand corrected. :)

Angie

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

I found a site for frost dates that's really great.> Victory Seeds I'm in MA and if you click on the link you get. A Few Locations But if you click on Click Here for more detailed information and additional weather station choices. at the bottom of the list, WOW! Even has my hometown!

Sponsored