Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
popke

Sad peppers

Krit Pop
10 years ago

Please help! Our precious peppers look puny! The leaves look funny and they are not producing like they used to. Looks almost like a powdery substance on them and the leaves are almost curled up. Please tell me there is something I can add to turn them around.
Also, we ordered some special seeds (purple habanero, purple jalapeno, and white habanero) and they aren't growing as well as I would have hoped. The purple jalapeno is producing fruit but the plant is still small. I have been using fish emulsion on all of them.
Thank you!

Comments (12)

• Krit Pop
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ghost pepper

• Krit Pop
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Serrano

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Resembles herbicide damage. Any used nearby, by you or a neighbor, or a garden "helper?"

Also, what is in the potting mix? Any composted manure?

• Krit Pop
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Not that I know of. They are in our backyard and we live in a big neighborhood. How could I find out and if that's what it is, what can we do? The potting mix has composted manure and we repotted with fresh soil about 2 weeks ago.
    Thank you for your reply!

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Somebody mentioned Herbicide.

I say the dye chemical from the mulch.
    I don't know exactly what kind of chemical the use as colorant and water repellant. It is possible that plants might react to it.

So, I would not use any treated mulch around edible vegetable. It is ok for trees, shrubs, flowers. I would rather use natural pine fir , cedar bark nuggets. (Bark Nuggets, not mulch from the wood )

• tsheets
    10 years ago

I wondered about that mulch as well. I don't have any proof either way, but just seems like a bad idea to me, so, I've never used it.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

It's possible that the composted manure is contaminated with herbicide.

Background info is at Washington State University.
    See http://whatcom.wsu.edu/ag/aminopyralid/index.html

To determine if that's so, do the simple bio-assay they suggest. The link is at the left side of the page.

I doubt the damage is due to the mulch. But it could also be tested with a bio-assay as for herbicide contamination.

Here is a link that might be useful: contaminated OM & bio-assay

• northerner_on
    10 years ago

That curling of of the leaves and the white residue reminds me of 'spider mites' which I had early last year. I don't remember how I identified it, but I remember I treated by spraying with soapy water, alternating with plain water, and covering with plastic bags loosley. They are very small and I could only see them with a magnifying glass. Google it and see what you can find out. Could also be white fly or aphids.

• Krit Pop
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for the info! I didn't even think about the mulch being harmful. It totally makes sense though. We will remove it and use something more natural.
    If the plants are damaged from herbicide, are they salvageable or should we start over?

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Frankly, and I hate to say it, at this point I'd start over. You are late in the season and even in Z10 the days are short. You won't get much production anyway.

If the mulch is the problem then the existing soil is contaminated. It needs to go. What are you using? Miracle Gro Moisture Control? (my choice for a peat-based soil, about 50% bark and fair amount of perlite).

Dennis

• tsheets
    10 years ago

If herbicide, the damage is done. As long as it doesn't happen again, things will only improve. No fruit has formed yet, so, you really are in good shape.

re: soil contamination, it would probably be best to bare root and repot with new soil, but, you might get by with flushing very well.

• jean001a
    10 years ago

Do the bio-assay to determine the problem.
    If it's not due to contaminated compost, no need for extreme measures.

Sponsored