Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
filmost

Please help me identify this pepper

filmost
10 years ago

Parents sent me some pepper seeds this year and I am trying to figure out what they are. For the longest time I thought they were Goat Horn peppers b/c that's what mum called them in Vietnamese, but I just found out this isn't the case.

They start out a pale yellow-green color just like this photo:

Then ripen to red as in the attached photo below.

All I know is they are some kind of horn pepper, and if it is indeed the same as the photo above then the literal translation is Golden Horn Pepper. In any case, I just hate growing something and not knowing what it is!

Any ideas?

This post was edited by filmost on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 20:52

Comments (13)

• salevene
    10 years ago

That looks like a standard red chili peppers... how hot is it?

• filmost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Could be, though don't standard red chili's grow erect on a small plant and start out a darker green? (To be honest, that was something I read, can't seem to find any pictures of a standard red chili plant)

These grow similar to this lady's plants, only five of mine are about 4 ft tall:
    {{gwi:1236439}}

As for how hot, I don't have much of a baseline to compare it to. I have only tried an unripe one and it has a nice burn.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

They look like Hungarian wax (yellow) peppers too.

• filmost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Indeed it does, but Hungarian Wax it most definitely is not. Those are much fatter.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Just look at these: HUNGARIAN WAX

• filmost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very nice, are they yours?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

They're definitely not Hungarian Wax ;-)
    Can't tell you what they are, though...too many possibilities. Do they have that classic Thai/Asian chile flavor?

Josh

• filmost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha, you'll have to define that "classic" flavor for me. ;-) Still quite new to growing peppers. I will say I had a green/yellow one and felt like it was kind of floral in flavor. Will try another one tonight and report back though!

Can anyone recommend other hot pepper specific forums to ask in?

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

The Thai/Asian chiles, more specifically those with C. frutescens lineage, have to me a tangy flavor up front and a sort of bitterness down the back, with a tongue-stinging burn. Tabasco, also a C. frutescens, has that same juiciness but much more floral and perfume-like. It's hard to describe, of course, but is completely unique from the flavor of a Jalapeno (C. annuum) or Habanero (C. chinense), for example.

Josh

• seysonn
    10 years ago

The other possibility is BANANA PEPPERS.(?!)

• filmost
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Alright, well I can't comment on the flavor of a ripe one, but I had one today that was starting to turn yellow and to be honest, by itself it just tasted...hmmm, green and hot. If I ate WITH something, then it was kind of floral/herby? Heat was a tongue stinging burn.

They do look like banana peppers huh, but I think the shape is not very banana pepper like; more specifically the area near the stem. Banana peppers to me seem more broad towards the stem, like hungarian wax.

• greenbud
    10 years ago

How long are they and how wide at the widest point? This may not be a known, named pepper. Sometimes new varieties surface which have been passed down in families, which are not exactly like any other.

• PepperGuy222
    10 years ago

Check out Charleston peppers

Sponsored