Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
normansfarm

Green or red tobasco peppers for pepper sauce?

NormansFarm
10 years ago

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to make pepper sauce for greens using tobasco peppers. Should I pick the peppers while they're green or wait until they're red? When I see the one in the store they're always green so I'm not sure which to use. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (10)

• HotHabaneroLady
    10 years ago

Well, they use red ones for making Tabasco Sauce. :) But I would think you could try them either way and see how you like them best.

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

• don555
    10 years ago

I find green tobasco peppers to be dry, mealy and kind of bitter tasting. When ripe-red they are juicy and flavorful and the bitterness is gone. So if using tobasco peppers, I'd wait for them to ripen.

I believe McIlhenny's green pepper sauce is made using jalepeno peppers, not tobasco peppers like their red sauce.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

don has it right. McIlhenny makes all kinds of sauce under the tabasco name now, not all of which involve tabasco peppers. they also make habanero sauce. how long does a tabasco pepper need to stay on the plant before it becomes a habanero?

• tn_gardening
    10 years ago

judo.... how long does a tabasco pepper need to stay on the plant before it becomes a habanero?

A Tabasco pepper will never become a habanero. They are separate types of peppers.

Joey. When I think of pepper sauce for greens, I immediately think of something I call peppers in vinegar. Back home, there is a brand called Trappey's and they use Tabasco (green, yellow and red) types.

and nc-crn nailed it. Make both types and see which ones you like the best :-)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

I agree with letting it turn red, I like every pepper ripe wheather it red, chocolate, yellow, green, orange, purple, or white. Jalapeno ans serrano i can put up with green unripe but they are the only two. Judo your last question I can't tell if you were serious or kidding?

Mark

Mark

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

tn_gardening, it was a poor attempt at humor, I grow both.

• peppernovice
    10 years ago

I got your humor Jason........I actually giggled a little when I read it. :)

Tim

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I don't think that it is the matter of heat but visual appearance.
    Have you ever seen green hot pepper sauce ? I have not.

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

I have found that unless I wait until they are almost ready to fall off (I grab a pepper and twist slightly, if it comes free it's ready- also don't have to worry about removing stem or cap, they stay on the plant). Last year it turned cold too fast and I ended up using them before they were almost over ripe, the sauce really tasted nasty, tasted like the bottled stuff in the store. If you wait until they are really ripe you get a really flavorful sweet sauce. Jalapenos, fine green, tabascos, nasty nasty nasty. Well, I assume nasty since orange is pretty foul. I even use the ones that have shriveled a bit.
    Pam

p.s. I got your humor Judo! I thought it was pretty funny myself, I knew you knew better than that.

This post was edited by kuvaszlvr on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 8:18

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area