Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepperhead212

Never ordering from Reimer Seeds again!

pepperhead212
18 years ago

Here's a warning to those planning their garden for next season: While I used to order from Reimer Seeds, the last two years I (and many others) have had major problems with the seeds I bought there. I had two varieties with 0% germination, 3 types with low germination rates, 4 varieties that were not what they said they were, and, though I didn't even try this year since I will never deal with them again, very rude customer service employees last year, who were all but telling me it was all my fault. I don't know if somebody bought them out and the quality took a nosedive as a result, or what caused it, but I just figured I would warn all of you pepper lovers out there.

Dave

Comments (28)

• nefer
    18 years ago

Sorry you didn't know about them long before now and had to get burned. This info has been out for a long time and I am surprised they still have any customers.

• willardb3
    18 years ago

Do a search on this site for "reimers".

• pepperhead212
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Last year was the first bad year I had with them, and only ordered from them again because I had a large refund check from them. Though they may do that again, and refund my money (only if I order from them), it wouldn't be worth it.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    18 years ago

Go figure!

Scroll to you know what...

Here is a link that might be useful: Watchdog

• lil_rhody
    18 years ago

Ahhh...once bitten...

If you were able to see the GW archives dating back a couple of years, you would see that I was the first person on this forun to blow the whistle on Reimer's, then others followed.
    Some members here were dis-believers and had to find out for themselves.
    It's too bad, a company that lures in sales by offering the largest selection (IMO) only to turn around and ship garbage seeds. They could have been the pinacle of pepper seed sales on the net but they chose to blame their buyers for germination problems generated by them.

• John__ShowMe__USA
    18 years ago

> If you were able to see the GW archives dating back a couple of years...

Here is a link that might be useful: wayback

• shelbyguy
    16 years ago

Count myself as another who was burned my Reimer, their non-viable seed, and their piss-poor customer service.

I was enticed by the variety available, but I guess it doesn't matter when the seed won't germinate...

• dangould
    16 years ago

They advertise things I am interested in but I have never ordered from them because of all I read about them. This one thread is a tiny sample of the complaints. The tomato people are not happy either. What a shame.

• siamack
    15 years ago

On Dave's Graden Web site Reimer Seeds has a terrible ranking - 4 times more negatives feedback than positives ones. You have to work hard to disappoint this many people. They are a terrible company. I ordered from them two weeks ago, when I wrote to inquire it took tw days to answer me and now they say it ws shipped last night. I'll never again buy anything from Reimer Seeds.

• carroteggs
    15 years ago

Argggh! I just ordered from them last week! Wish I had asked about them first. Good thing I only ordered two packets. Now I know not to ever order from them again. I usually order from Johnny's, but they didn't have rice seeds. Well, I guess I'll see what happens. Anyone know of a good place to get unusual varieties not carried by Johnny's or Burpee?

• mauirose
    15 years ago

always happy to enable ; )

Here is a link that might be useful: Here be Dragons

• jake031457_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

This was my first & last year for ordering from Reimer. Very bad germination on the peppers & tomatoes. I have plants that are just now emerging after being planted 5 weeks ago. A lot of the seed never did germinate. I've also got stuff growing that looks more like wild lettuce or dandelions than peppers or tomatoes This really threw my gardening schedule off.

• bodean59_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

I ordered peter pepper seeds from reimer, none germinated.
    I sent them an e-mail (they have no phone listed) and got no response, after 2 months of e-mails they sent me an reply, they said that no one else had any problems, it was just me!
    well they had this little form to fill out about how I started the seeds, so they could test my technique. in the same day they sent me an e-mail saying my way was wrong! pepper seeds take 7-14 days to germinate some longer, yet they tested my way in 2-3 hours, and said it was my fault because no one else had any trouble.
    If you buy any thing from Reimer seeds you are throwing your money away!

• Doctor_Richard
    9 years ago

Please note that Reimer's seeds should be avoided for ANY seed ordering, not just pepper seeds. I ordered cauliflower seeds and was shipped some type of broccolini or Romanescu type of variety and I've attempted to contact Reimer seeds more than 3 times in the past week with no response. I was once a satisfied customer like a number of other posters here who have had to learn the hard way that they are no longer a reputable source and apparently are committing alleged multiple fraud. I will be reporting them to the BBB, but that has already been done as well and they are surprisingly (NOT) NOT a member of the BBB.

• Andrew
    9 years ago

I ordered seeds (first time) from them before I saw this forum.

I actually have had good luck with them. I ordered a 20 pack of Chinese 5 color pepper seeds and they sent me close to 40 seeds. I started to germinate 10 seeds and all 10 of them germinated and sprouted.

Now after reading this, I hope the seeds turn out to be what I ordered

• Pyewacket
    9 years ago

For anyone still looking for sources for rare or unusual seeds - try Baker Creek Seeds. I used to live a few miles from them. They have lots of unusual seeds of good quality.

They're store link has become oddly difficult to find - I finally found it by going to the site map, so that's what I'll post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker Creek Seeds

• brenna125
    6 years ago

I ordered from Reimer Seeds and had 100% success. I had no problems whatsoever. I read the instructions off the website and exactly 7 days later I saw sprouts! This is also my first time planting seeds in a garden. I ordered some okra seeds and zipper pea seeds and they are doing great so far. Planting seeds can be tricky and sometimes they do not germinate. I do not think the supplier is to blame if the seeds do not grow. I planted my seeds in a raised garden bed outside. I used Miracle Gro soil and covered them with a seed cover. I made sure to water every day. They are still growing strong. Can't wait to have okra and peas this summer! This was my first time ordering from Reimer Seeds and I will do so again.

• brenna125
    6 years ago

Yes, ALL of my seeds are doing very well and are still growing strong into their correct form. Sorry to hear your seeds didn't turn out.

• the_northeast_chileman
    6 years ago

Reimer Seed has a long history of hit or miss customer satisfaction so whenever I consider buying any product I google them like Reimer Seeds review.

• Keith Johnson
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I went to their website last night as they came up in my search for Aconcagua Pepper seeds. I could get 1/8 oz for $4.50. I noticed they had a lot of pepper seeds on sale for $1.00 so I went through all their peppers and had over 20 in my cart for a total somewhere under $30. It was getting late so I decided to complete the order today. Much to my surprise when I went to checkout I noticed my total was now over $42 and the Aconcagua seeds had increased to $7.50. This was before any shipping had been added. I then decided to Google Reimer Seeds and saw all the unsatisfied customers posting their complaints. In the end I'm glad they raised their prices in my cart sounds like I'm better off without them.

• Ljubisa Kostic
    4 years ago

I ordered seeds from Reimer a month ago. I thought it was odd that they charge about $10 to process an order in 2 business days -- seems like that should be the norm. But I was not in a hurry so 3-10 business days seemed fine. A month later and still nothing. I asked for an update a week ago and they wrote me a very long email with lots of excuses and promises, but have yet to move the needle. I would not recommend buying from this company. Their business practices are clearly not up to snuff.

• Chasity Wright
    4 years ago

Terrible customer service and completely unprofessional. I emailed the company after almost three weeks without email of shipment We paid for expedited shipping. I received a response with an apology, promise to ship the following day, and an offer of refund for expedited shipping. Four days later I received an email stating that now two of our seeds are out of stock and we were refunded $8. No refund for expedited shipping. Of course the seeds were now out of stock since it took three weeks to fill the order!! I emailed inquiring about the shipping refund and this company wanted to argue with me terminology regarding shipping and expedited fees. Sending email after email arguing and finally an email that said “You can’t read English?”!!!! What business manager sends out an email like that. Rather than admit their mistake and attempt to make things right they want to argue and be absolutely unprofessional. I had to email them threatening legal action if they continued to send me emails. I don’t even want these products now. We will never order from Reimer seeds again

• Talulah Potlucky
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I ordered a pack of cotton seed from them for the grand kids to experience the plant. TWO seeds out of the pack germinated... I emailed them about it ... they sent me an in-depth questionnaire 10 questions even asking night and day temps soil tyoe etc... then after they got that back they would research weather anyone else had a problem and after that they would TEST THE SEEDS THEMSELVES.... WHAT THE......?.? I usually order from baker creek they are wonderful and on the rare occasion the seeds don’t sprout they simply ask the lot number and send u a new pack! REALLY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SEEMS TO BE NO Guarantee with Reimer.... STAY AWAY!

• Kevin Kerner
    3 years ago

• HU-43683290
    3 years ago

I think this compay only made a good site, every seed is false, they are not those they say, germination is terrible, Please be careful donot buy seed from this company of reimerseed.

• mike curranto
    last year

Rip off. They have low prices but the seed pack has very few seeds. Then their shipping is off the wall expensive. I placed an order on 10/31/22 and in the comments section I complained about the shipping cost. They emailed me with an order cancellation. Reason? Customer complained about high shipping cost. Other seeds I purchased from reimer had low germination rate. 2 packs, 0 germination.

• beesneeds
    last year

This might be an obtuse question but... Why did you place an order with them today (10/31/22) if you were unhappy with the seed count of the packets and the shipping cost? Why place an order today then turn around and complain about you order?

Sponsored