Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20039395

Small Cheyenne harvest

User
9 years ago

Hi all
I just picked these and thought I'd share. I only have one red cheyenne all the rest turned out to be golden. It has about 15 more peppers on it in various shades of ripe, but I will probably pull the plants this weekend due to rainy cool weather maybe I'll hold off another week and see how the Temps are.
Hope all have a good weekend
Randal

Comments (10)

• lexxluthor
    9 years ago

Looks good Randal. I dry them and use them as a filler with the hotter peppers.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Lexx, I cooked jambalaya last night I used my smoked thai hot powder and habanero powder for heat and halved the Cheyenne and had them as a side dish. They were really good, not to hot and really good flavor. My girlfriend even enjoyed them. I wasn't planning on growing them next year but I think I will now.
    Randal

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

I had a Cheyenne plant this year as well and the peppers were very nice (one of my favorite actually). The only problem I have is I cannot find any information out about this pepper.

I got the plant from an Ag store in Eastern Washington for a buck, but there was no info on the tag. I did save some seeds but I am assuming it is a hybrid of some sort.. Anyone know?

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I also have a Cayenne plant. I bought it at Farmers Market, a bit later in the season. It was in a bad shape. I repotted it and took care of it and it rebounded. I came to like Cayenne. It ripens early here and continues producing.

Cayenne make good powder for general use. It is not that hot but has enough heat and good flavor, to me. I add some of it to paprika to give it a kick.

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Randal,

Those are some nice looking Cayenne. They make for good power or when cooked fresh are good in meals. If you pull them green, they will still turn eventually.

just for reference... There is a chili plant called a Cheyenne, not to be mistaken for Cayenne. Two totally different looking fruits.

I have 1 growing but it has not produced fruit. Not sure what the problem is but it is my only one. Popped out from seeds that I got in last years swap I believe. Fruit looks nice too.

Of course there is a hybrid Cheyenne that looks like Cayenne from Burpee but not sure if they just misspelled it to market it as a cayenne.

http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/peppers/hot-peppers/pepper-hot-cheyenne-hybrid-prod003164.html?siteID=1GpKAeohQ5c-HqPnEnIRcEWoMvc3UZbV2w&cid=AFF

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheyenne

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 15:28

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

Mine is not a cayenne. the peppers are much larger and fatter. more gnarly looking. Size wise.. probably an average annaheim?

And it was brought from an AG store.

• lexxluthor
    9 years ago

Siouxzn- possibly a portugal? I grow those every year and they are a lot larger and look like they have rings around some of them.

• farmerdill
    9 years ago

Cheyenne is a hybrid cayenne type. Large cayenne type red fruit moderate heat. Main attraction is the compact plant suitable for container gardening. There are several OP varieties of cayenne ranging from skinny hot ones (Long Slim) to large thick mild ones.(Large Thick)

Here is a link that might be useful: Some cayenne varieties

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think mine are the Cayenne that farmer dill is talking about I think. I bought the plant so all I had to go by is the marker that was in it. I bought other" Cheyenne "from another place and they were marked red cheyenne but are golden and the pods are smaller than these pictured here, and seem a little hotter and more pungent. I like the flavor of these not so much the golden. I was going to dry them and make powder but I think I will pickle them instead. The plant isn't very big or bushy but the pods a large.
    Randal

• siouxzin
    9 years ago

Farmerdill

Thank you for the link. That is indeed what it is!

I did save all the seeds so hopefully I can reproduce the plant for next year!

Although it looks like an F1 hybrid so I will probably end up with just a cayenne.. we shall see

This post was edited by Siouxzn on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 9:56

Sponsored