Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judo_and_peppers

need opinions

judo_and_peppers
9 years ago

I'm designing shirts. I think they should have my logo emblazoned across the front, as big as possible. she thinks people won't wear a shirt with my face on the front. she thinks I should do text only, I figure a good compromise is the logo really big on the back.

I need more opinions.

here is the logo in question in case you haven't seen it on the other thread:

Comments (14)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

From marketing point of view, you should be trying to promote a product, not a person !

• MikeUSMC
    9 years ago

I think, on the front left breast (where a T-shirt pocket would be), just the "Jason's Fire Fusions" text, in that same font. On the back, the full logo (big), just as pictured above.

Just my opinion,
    Mike

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Hell, I'd wear one.
    I knows good art when I see it...

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I'm with Mike. Have a few made up as he suggests, if they don't seem popular just go with the small text in the pocket area and have the back blank. Can your wife design a logo for the pocket area that has the "Gourmet Hot Sauce" text (and maybe a small bottle with the mushroom cloud) as well as the "Jason's Fire Fusions"?

IMHO, subtle on the front is best, but it would be nice to have an image, it just needs to be a small one so you can see details, and agree to market the brand not the face. If she can do the same bottle/cloud with "gourmet" banner under, it will echo the full image on the back. If people don't like the test run with the printed back, you can save $ by just doing the front, but the bottle and banner/text will be there, help them recognize the full label when they see it in stores.

Are you wholesaling to stores? Or just selling yourself at markets/craft shows to start? How did it work out with the state/FDA regulations?

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Compromise. Replace you with a hot girl (your wife?). Then the guys would wear it in big size.

In the alternative, do a composite logo with just the exploding flask and the "Jason's.." text above or below. That can go on the pocket with a large something on the back.

Dennis

• User
    9 years ago

"Compromise. Replace you with a hot girl (your wife?). Then the guys would wear it in big size. "

This goes along with my suggestion when we were discussing his original coconut sauce label - Hula girl in a coconut top with a burning grass skirt. I'd buy it. ;-)

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

interesting ideas, everyone. I kinda like the idea of just the bottle on the front, maybe in the top corner, and the full image on the back.

in terms of progress, I am still waiting for the BPCS book to arrive, so I'm trying to figure out details like this now. I would like to wholesale to stores and restaurants, as well as doing online sales, and I wanna go to stuff like art shows, etc. I am going freaking crazy with the wait. I now understand why so many people go the co-bottler route. I'm just hoping all this headache will be worth it in the end.

edit: new update, the FDA finally got back to me, all sauces are approved. not that this was a surprise, it's just good that they finally got back to me. so the BPCS is the only thing I'm waiting on.

This post was edited by judo_and_peppers on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 16:48

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

"Compromise. Replace you with a hot girl (your wife?). Then the guys would wear it in big size. "

The "hot" girl thingee has been so overdone by CHOLULA

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Are you taking the course or did they say you just needed to study the book and take the exam somewhere? The course is about $400 but I took it for $50 sponsored by the Farm Bureau. Not a lot in that book that's applicable to your process/equipment but it's one of the hoops the FDA makes you jump through. Hey, if this doesn't work out, you can always get a job at Cholula ;-) - I'm going for Vlasic myself.

• lovetheburn
    9 years ago

You need to ask yourself a few things.

Do you often see people wearing loud t-shirts in your area?

Do you want your (cheesy) grin associated with the product?

What is your target demographic? Local? National? International? Young? Old? Male? Female?

If your target is local and you see dudes and duddets wearing loud shirts, do it.

If your target is the world.... Previous suggestions that lean toward typical conservative design can't hurt.

There are niche markets for these things... If the product is good and becomes a staple... the crazier the shirt the more it becomes desirable. If you like it and have faith in the product do it or do a conservative one and this one as a "limited edition".

So many options.... Just like sauces....

J

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I spent 400 for the online course, which I don't get to begin until the book arrives in the mail, which makes no freaking sense to me, since the book is just so you can highlight stuff as you go along in the video. I can't help thinking they send you the book just so you feel the 400 freaking bucks is slightly more justified.

so here I sit, waiting for a book to arrive, so I can take an online course.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

How are they going to know if you have the book yet? I say start the course (UC Davis?). Is the exam online too? Heck, if it weren't for questions on 1-piece closures and retorts and records, anybody who's been canning for any length of time and knows basic food safety could ace that test. And you've gone through the process approval so you know how that works.

I like the idea of the first full-image back T-shirts as the "limited edition" - or first edition. Collector's item!

• judo_and_peppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

because the code to get onto the website... is mailed out with the book. awesome. oh well, I've waited this long, a few more days won't kill me.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Sorry.

Sponsored