Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mitchrob99

Chilli Plant Dx?

Mitchrob99
11 years ago

Hi

I have been trying to work out if this is aphid damage, chemical burns or heat shock..or BOTH!

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments (11)

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Aphids attack the growing tips and I don't see any in this pic. Why do you suspect chemical burn? Did you apply something to the leaves?

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Do you only suspect aphids or did you encounter them? If you encountered them did you apply any treatment? What are you using as a fertilizer? How often do you water and use fertilizer? These questions will help us to answer your question.

Mark

• Mitchrob99
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi

I have been trying to get rid of aphids on and off for a few weeks. They keep coming back. I have been using a chemical pesticide.

I water every day, and I've noticed the soils has not been drying out, could I be watering to much? The pot also contains about 50% soil from jiffy pellets.

I have been using a Hydroponic liquid fertilizer call Proganics Stimuliser and also another all round liquid fertilizer called magic bud grow. I use them around once per fortnight.

The plant is a Butch T Scorpion chilli. It has been getting full sun light and temp has been about 30C.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

If you are watering every day, you are certainly watering tooooo much. That can cause all kinds of problems. I am not sure that is what is causing the problems you describe however. I dont think it is aphid damage either. Are you sure you have aphids?

You should only water when the soil is almost completely dried out. That means dried from top to bottom, not only the top layer. Check the soil using a wooden stick of some sort. Bamboo skewers work well. Stick it into the soil and then pull it out. If it comes out with soil stuck to it, the soils is plenty wet.

I would start there and see if the plant responds to less watering.
    Bruce

• Mitchrob99
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Bruce! I'll see how it goes

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

By the way, here is what an aphid infestation on a pepper plant will look like:

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    11 years ago

Agree with Bruce too much watering. Also if you are applying chemicals, avoid spraying during the day, in the hot sun it could cause leaves to burn. Also your plant is ready to be potted up to a bigger pot. Too much nitrogen brings on more aphids as the seedling will be weak but full of juices they cant wait to sink their suckers into. Let us know how it goes.

Mark

• Mitchrob99
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Will re pot.

Thanks for the help people!

• Mitchrob99
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the help guys

Just wanted to show you how it's going. I think I was over watering! It's looking much better now! Though I have aphids galore and can't seem to shake the little buggers!!!!!!!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    11 years ago

Yes, looking much, much better. Glad to hear it.
    Bruce

• rdback
    11 years ago

Plant looks much better - congrats.

For aphids, don't forget about natural predators, like ladybugs. Very effective control.

Rick

Sponsored