Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megachili

Where to get best seeds for 2010?

megachili
14 years ago

Just gettin' to thinking about 2010 - maybe start ordering some seeds next month.

I know there are various lists here about good (and bad) seed companies) but I thought it'd be useful to perhaps centralize some of that information.

I would appreciate if anyone can add to this thread specific online retailers of superior seeds for hot peppers - high germination rates, proven performance of the plants in your back yard, etc.

I had good luck with almost all Burpee seeds - they offer a limited, conventional selection of seeds, all had high germination, customer services and responsiveness is very good.

I had pretty good luck with TradeWindsFruit. They have a lot of exotic and interesting cultivars. a few of them were truly stellar in my garden (the Holland), but some others were disappointing (Bolivian Rainbow).

Pepper Joes has some really exotic and interesting cultivars to try out. I have not yet purchased from them, so I don't know what to expect.

What I am toward here, ultimately, is a master list of a top 5 or 6 or 8 providers who have a track record of delivering high-quality, unusual, true seeds that do what they're supposed to do, and conversely, the key vendors to be avoided for being untrue to type or just being difficult in general. I'm thinking such a Good vendor vs Bad vendor list would be very useful for getting ready for 2010

Thank

Comments (41)

• chillilover
    14 years ago

www.thehippyseedcompany.com I got seeds from him in a week(Australia to Canada) Grew his seeds two years in a row and always were true and produced like mad.

• rds040800
    14 years ago

I second chillilover on hippyseedcompany.com. Another good one is www.peppermania.com, but I beliebe they will not be taking orders until after the first of the year to check for germination rates of their current seed stock. Another good one is www.fatalii.net, the exchange rate makes them pricey but they have an awesome selection. And of course some of my best seeds have come from trades and members doing SASE.

The main one to avoid is Reimers, and I have had extremly bad luck with anything off of ebay.

• vic01
    14 years ago

I agree with the ones listed already, hippy seed, peppermania, no Reimers!!!!! I've had good luck with tomato growers and tradewinds, have not tried Baker's seeds yet but they have a good reputation. ebay you take your chances. I'm sure some sellers are great, some are not trustworthy.

• spiced_ham
    14 years ago

Tomato Growers Supply has a good selection of peppers in general, and they are good quality seeds.

• brien_nz
    14 years ago

I would second peppermania. I have had prompt service, interesting free seeds (plus some extra free seeds that I did not expect) and 100% germination. I have received these seeds recently, since Beth has come back from her summer break, and there is no indication on the website that she is not taking orders.
    I would not recommend Tomato Bob. I had about 3% germination with his onions and less than 50% with his pepper seeds. He was out of stock for Trinidad Perfume (although this was not noted on his website), and substituted an ornamental pepper, rather than a mild chinense (say Tobago Seasoning). He did not comply with our Customs labelling requirement (full botanical name) so I was lucky that they did not open the parcel or all of the seeds would have been confiscated. (There, that feels better)!
    Brien

• booberry85
    14 years ago

I really like Baker Creek Heirlooms. Keep your eyes open here too. Sometimes chiliheads here are very generous!
    :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Baker Creek Heirlooms

• rds040800
    14 years ago

I ordered seeds from peppermania in October and she refunded my money. I know for a fact the summer here was hard on everyone, seeing as though she is located 20 miles from me.Here is the email explaining why she is not currently doing orders.

Greetings from Texas!

Thank you for your order. Your business is greatly appreciated but I regret to say that I have just refunded your order in full.

To explain, this is the time of saying goodbye to Chile Chile 2009 and begin preparing for Chile Season 2010. At this time of year, I keep very few varieties packaged and some varieties may be deplenished or seed is not of the quality I offer to my customers. This Fall, after much contemplation, I am doing something I have never done before, I am suspending seed sales until preparations for Season 2010 are complete and currently figuring out the best way to do this on the website (I am my own webmaster). The time it takes to process the few "off-season" orders that do come at this time of year takes from the time I can utilize to prepare for the coming season, especially updating the web site to suspend orders. There are many tasks going on now...processing the remaining harvest, seeds are drying as I type, germination tests are happening with more to come, the packaging will then come as well as updates to the photos and website.

The horrid heat and drought of this summer took it toll on the chiles childs but we have come through with some of our old favorites and are happy to report that there are new varieties in the line up, including some of the highly sought after "Super Hots". Once the dust settles, I will be reporting progress and availability through my new E-Newsletter and with my Peppermania Texas Blog, currently WIP, work in progress. To get the latest on the coming Season 2010, please sign up for our Peppermania Newsletter at the website:
    Peppermania Texas Newsletter Sign Up (Not to worry, I do not share or sell your information. I am a FIRM believer in privacy and our right to get ONLY the emails and information that we request.)

I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience or disappointment. I truly know the anxiety a Chilehead gets when planning and starting a new season, I got it myself as I prepare for Season 2010.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and if you should have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this email. Just know that I am busy making ready for the bestus of Chile Season in 2010!

Sincerely,
    Beth in Texas
    The Heat Is On and Chiles Are Cool!
    www.peppermania.com

• User
    14 years ago

Brien,

Being in NZ (lucky bugger), I'm suprised you didn't list the the Hippy Seed Company?

I've never ordered from Neil but I've never read about a bad experience. Every review I've read highlights his quality seed fair price and service.

I have corresponded with him regarding an unsafe pickling recipe on his site. He was most grateful for the advice and openly invited future feedback.

If you haven't given him a try, you may want to contact him.

FWIW,

Bill (no I am not affiliated with the referenced company)

• jjs7741
    14 years ago

I'd have to put my vote for Hippy Seed Company. Great selection with shipping from Australia cheaper than most places here in the states.

I ordered some Bih Jolokia, Chocolate Bhut, yellow 7-pot and 7-pot Jonah on Saturday, paid by Paypal on Sunday, seeds shipped on Monday and arrived today, Thursday. That's quicker than a lot of places I've ordered from in this country. Very pleased so far, but haven't grown them yet, so can't comment on germ rates or true to type yet.

jj

• dirtdaddy
    14 years ago

For peppers I prefer Plants of the SouthWest, mostly because they sell you a good amount of seed. If a crop fails to germ. well or if the rabbits take it all out, or if the weather is bad, you still got some seed to try again and don't gotta find some more quick.
    I've had some real good luck on ebay, and some real bad luck. How can you give feedback on a product that you won't get results on for another nine months?
    Again, I stay away from anything less than thirty seeds and make sure I'm buying from stores that know peppers.
    I will look at hippy and Peppermania this weekend though.

• brien_nz
    14 years ago

Bill,
    I haven't bought anything from the Hippy Seed Company yet, but I did tell him about a problem on his website (with a suggested solution) and he asked me if I would like some seed and sent me a free packet, which was unexpected and appreciated.
    Brien

• User
    14 years ago

Yes, without a doubt, every review I've read says Neil is a stand up, honest and genuine man of his word.

I don't need seed this year but I'm going to order some from Neil just to throw his business some support.

Bill

• willardb3
    14 years ago

Do not buy seed from Reimer's.............

• mister_al
    14 years ago

I've ordered seeds from Tough Love Chile Co. in the past and I think you should give them a try. I placed an order on a Tuesday and had the seeds in my hand by that Friday. The seeds germinated well and were true to plant descriptions for what I ordered.

Alan

Here is a link that might be useful: Tough Love Chile Co.

• ufseeds
    14 years ago

Urban Farmer Seeds has a large selection of both hot and sweet pepper seeds. All germination rates are tested and above 80% for all pepper seeds. Plus they package all their seeds in recycled magazine pages. Defiantly recommend for pepper seeds! Link below

Here is a link that might be useful: Pepper Seeds

• User
    14 years ago

In the past I have ordered from Two Wings Farm in BC and I would be remiss if I didnÂt mention them.

A very limited variety of chili peppers but what they sell germinates at a high rate and grows true. Excellent customer service and very responsive to questions. A good reputable source if they have what youÂre looking for.

Bill

• milehighgirl
    14 years ago

Seems to be a problem with the Tough Love's security on their website.

I got some good rocoto seeds from The Pepper Gal.

http://www.peppergal.com/

• bjs33
    14 years ago

My favourites are Hippy Seed Company and Peppermania.

Both have great selections of things I cannot find at the garden store seed rack and are also easy to deal with over the net. Top quality seeds!

• aleksandar
    14 years ago

I took your advice and ordered from Hippyseed and got great response. Seeds arrived in a week with a bonus. Thanks fellow chileheads!!Also highly recommend Peppermania as well ottawapepper's plug for Two Wings. I know the proprietors and they are good folk with a good product.

Alex

• brien_nz
    14 years ago

I see that Beth has updated her website and Peppermania is back in business!
    Merry Christmas from sunny New Zealand!!
    Brien

• smokemaster_2007
    14 years ago

Rainbow chile seeds

Here is a link that might be useful: seeds

• red_hazard
    14 years ago

Ebay is a crap shoot for seeds. Here is a question and answer from one seller:
    "Dear -------------,

I purchased your Maxi-Jala seeds. This a hybrid type (as in your description). Were these seeds purchased in bulk from a reputable supplyer or did you merely remove them from peppers pods you grew?"

Answer:
    "These are not reputable. I got them from a guy at a pepper convention, and grew a set of three plants. He was not entered in the competition and said he got them from a competitor the year before.

If I've done anything wrong by using this name, please let me know.

FF

- (name removed)"

I proceeded to explain that seeds taken from pods of an F1 Hybrid parent plant will not produce true hybrid plants. I got no response and was out $2.50.

• rdback
    14 years ago

As Brien said, Beth is open and shipping again at Peppermania.

She currently has a combo deal of six different peppers, called "Garden of Fire".

If you're looking for Super Hots (including the Bhut Jolokia), I doubt you'll find a better deal. You better hurry tho, I expect she'll run out soon.

Of course, I'm not worried myself - I already received mine (hehe).

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: Peppermania - Garden of Fire offer

• ohiopeppers
    14 years ago

Red Hazard,

Could you please post the Ebay seller name for the maxi-jala seeds. I believe I may of bought some.
    Thanks, Karen

• willardb3
    14 years ago

You will do much better with chile seeds if you avoid Ebay entirely. Chile seed purveyors on Ebay don't have a clue.

• notrod
    14 years ago

To reiterate what rdback stated... If anyone is considering the "Garden of Fire" deal from Peppermania, I would make a decision soon. I talked to Beth about my order earlier today, and found out she has a limited quantity left in stock. She says it might last another week.

• travis_in_va
    14 years ago

I jumped on the "Garden of Fire" deal, figured, why not... let's see how my limits can be stretched... My first order from Peppermania.

Ordered from Two Wing Farms and Horizon Herbs in the past. I personally liked dealing with Two Wings better, nice people!

• red_hazard
    14 years ago

slakermom: His initials in my post and his Ebay ID match. The only place I could find on the web that sold Maxi-Jala was chillifarm.com. I sent them an email asking if their seeds came from pods of parent plants. They advised they get their seeds from various international seed suppliers. They are located in South Africa and the cost is rather high. Though they say 10 seeds in a packet, I actully got 25 :-). It's ironic that I had to order hybrid seeds developed in the USA from Africa.

• ohiopeppers
    14 years ago

Thanks Red hazard

I figured it was the same seller. I was a bit more gullible and ordered $25.00 in seeds from him. They haven't arrived yet although I bought them on Jan. 2nd.

I might try Chillifarm. I have a neighbor that I grow plants for who adores jumbo jalapenoes. Last year he canned 40 pints of pickled jalapenoes in a single day.

Karen

• s.hamptongardener
    14 years ago

I'm new to the forum and new to growing peppers. With that said, I bought seeds last year from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. They carry open pollination organic seeds (mostly) and list the germination rate on the package with a date. I didn't have good luck with yield on the bells or pimentos but got lots of jalapenos, aji dulce, anaheim, and cayenne. Learned about the forum while looking up hot sauce info.

Here is a link that might be useful: SESE

• User
    14 years ago

Welcome s.hamptongardener, you don't have an email link on your profile. If you're interested in hot sauce "Learned about the forum while looking up hot sauce info" send me an email.

slackermom, I'm intrigued by this Maxi-Jala variety. Actually, I wrongly slammed Red Hazard for spamming when he first posted about sourcing the seeds. Although I offered to source for him/her they obviously took offense and got the seed from the SA source that does ship to the US.

If you are truly interested in securing some seed, I'd be willing to split the cost 50/50 + $2 mail to Canada. I have a link to the SA vendor. Let me know.

Bill

• ohiopeppers
    14 years ago

Ottwapepper,

I ordered the Maxi-Jala seeds from chillifarm before you posted.

I'd be more than happy to send you some.

Do you have anything to trade? My questionable Ebay seeds are: Aji dulce#2, Fatali, Caribbean Red, BHUT, tepin, fish,
    scotch bonnet. Anyone of one these or something similar would be fine.

Karen

• User
    14 years ago

Karen,

We can swap seed if you like but I'd still be willing to split the cost for half the elusive (LOL) Maxi-Jala seed if you are interested.

Bill

• ohiopeppers
    14 years ago

Mike,
    I'll email you.
    Karen

• User
    14 years ago

Mike????????????

LMAO Karen, Mike (Smok... OK I won't reveal him for fear of his wrath) is a crusty old curmudgeon who freely distributes seed to new growers.

I'll be in touch tomorrow. The dog needs to go for a walk now.

Bill

• rdback
    14 years ago

ottawapepper posted: "If you're interested in hot sauce "Learned about the forum while looking up hot sauce info" send me an email."

Bill, this seems to suggest you may have some "insight" regarding hot sauce making? If so, I'd like to hear it as well. Perhaps a new thread? *smile*

And, by the way, you say you fear the wrath of the master, but you call him a "crusty old curmudgeon"? Doesn't sound wise to me, but we'll see if he awakes. lol

Rick

• fmalmgren
    14 years ago

I also jumped on the "Garden Of Fire" deal from Peppermania. I got the seeds only a few days after ordering. Thanks Beth! Will use again and again! I also ordered for my brother trying to get him hooked.

• User
    14 years ago

Rick, what can I say...

I have a strong will but a weak wonÂt. So far so good, I haven't suffered any wrath "yet".

Regarding sauce making, I personally do not have experience but I do know a source that may be helpful. I'll send you an email.

Bill

• s.hamptongardener
    14 years ago

Bill,

I think I have an email address listed now. I'm gonna need some more info on sauce, will email you. My first batch (very small test batch) was surprisingly boring. It seemed to get very tame in the cooking, lost it's heat. I was going for a chipolti with med heat from jalapenos I smoked and dried. I'm going for plain cayenne next. Everything is dried because I had no idea what to do with all the peppers at first.

Melissa

• ohiopeppers
    14 years ago

Red Hazard,
    I never received my seeds from our favorite Ebayer. I filed a claim and also mentioned that he was selling seeds that were not true to variety. He sent me a nasty reply saying that he bought the seeds at Johnnys.com and I could buy them there and pay more. If, only! I informed him that Johnnys does not sell Maxi-jala jalapenos and that their web site is johnnyseeds.com. I also told him that Johnnys.com is a web site for Foley and Associates. I told him if he is going deceive people he needs to get his facts straight. He has chosen to cease direct communication with me. Go figure. I think Mr FF must be trolling this forum.
    Karen

• User
    14 years ago

Karen or Red Hazard,

Please post the eBay name of the bad source in the title of a new post with a description of your experience.

Your post may help others who are thinking about ordering on eBay sort out the good from bad.

Sponsored