Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djoyofficial

Final Haul!! ha ha.

djoyofficial
9 years ago

This is it.. The last of the ( hung upside down) ripeners... These little Thai peppers are so amazing dried.. They taste just like cherry fruit leather... Till the heat hits. Love it!!

dj

Comments (7)

• seysonn
    9 years ago

That looks good, djoy.
    So it seems that every pod on the upside down plant ripened.

Thai Hots, similar to yours ( which I also grew, just one plant) are very thin skinned and they dry real easily. I would either powder them or just throw one or two pods in saute or soup.

And this is my final haul

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks nice seysonn!

I only laughed in my title cause mine seemed like a pretty small haul when I think of some of the amazing pictures other folks here post. Not ashamed of mine and... Dare I say, a little proud.

Here is the powder I made tonight after drying. I'm going to spread it out and give it a little while longer before bagging it.. Taste is amazingly fruity, heat is hot but not too hot (college age nephew in town thinks its mega-hot)

dj

• seysonn
    9 years ago

That is some nice looking powder, dj.
    I have also dried what I had (maybe half as much as yours) But not powdered it yet. I think with my dismal production, I have enough sauce and powder to carry me through till the next season.

Seysonn

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Great haul.
    Make some Piri-piri with the Thai's. Only need a handfull, dried or fresh.

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've never had piri-piri sauce.looks pretty simple to make. Wonder how it would be with fresh trout?

I ground my coffee this morning without cleaning out the grinder (same used for peppers). I just tapped out the loose pepper powder. I must admit it was some amazing coffee. I had a slight tingle in the back of my throat after each sip , that lingered for five min or so. No burn it was strangely unique.

dj

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Nice last pickin DJ. Yeah, the Thais tend to be able to get to final color a lot easier than a lot of other varieties.

Kevin

• djoyofficial
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. I'm slowly working towards having more variety. I like how you have more variety in yours seysonn.

Kentishman sent me some fish pepper seed (thank you!)... I hope to be adding those to next seasons harvest.

I do have a final pick coming but I dont consider it haul worthy.. .

These are the ones originally marked moruga scorpion at my local nursery. Obviously not. Might be a cross. Heat was hot but not super hot on first one. Going to grow it again next year to see if any recessive genes come out. I only got a half dozen pods off it after a mid season emergency transplant. Almost ready to pick a few. So slow with no good sun.

Edit... It's droopy and needs water. Hardly have to water it while inside. It slowly droops over two or three days indoors and that's after a week or more since last watering. It also takes longer to perk back up after watering. It's like its metabolism has slowed with less sun. Not sure metabolism is the appropriate term for it but same idea.

Rambling... Gniight.
    dj

This post was edited by djoy on Mon, Dec 1, 14 at 1:42

Sponsored