Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moronguideto

Siling Labuyo (Philippine Bird's Eye pepper)

moronguideto
16 years ago

I'm exchanging my siling labuyo (Philippine Bird's Eye pepper)for Red, Yellow , Orange ,chocolate Habanero. Email me at mister_seeds@yahoo.com

Comments (13)

• smokemaster_2007
    16 years ago

Are you interested in trading some Tree Habanero seeds?

Habanero Arbol,mine grew over 8ft. high before I pruned it.Mines 4 yrs. old.
    Peppers are green with purple streaks than they turn orange when ripe.

It puts out peppers year round here in Ca.
    Mines survived drought,overwatering,heat and a couple days of frost and still keeps going.
    Not as hot as regular habaneros,close but not as hot, with a different taste.

Pods are about 3/4 inch by 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 inches.
    The seeds from my parent plant seem to vary in height from 4ft. and up so far.They just might need more time.Mine aren't that old yet.
    My plant grew the most last year though.This year I pruned it and right now the peppers are twice as fat as before.It is putting out the same amount of them.It's also growing back to it's original size already.

• cmpman1974
    16 years ago

Smokemaster,

Any pictures you can post of the plant and pods for this one? I'd like to see it. it sounds like an impressive plant.

Chris

• smokemaster_2007
    16 years ago

I don't have a camera and don't know how to post them anyway.
    Sorry

• fiedlermeister
    16 years ago

Look like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Siling Labuyo

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    16 years ago

Interesting link. It shows the leaves can be used as a vitamin rich vegetable. I've seen a few other places that indicate pepper leaves can be eaten, but that doesn't sound tasty or safe to me. My childhood food ideas are hard to overcome.

From the link:

"Uses:

Nutritional

Fruit is a popular condiment. The leaves are used as vegetable; an excellent source of calcium and iron, a good source of phosphorus and vitamins A and B."

• cmpman1974
    16 years ago

John,

Thanks for the picture. I was referring to smokemaster's tree habanero plant though. It's always interesting to see an 8 ft tall plant.

Chris

• moronguideto
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi smokemaster,
    would you like to trade your tree habanero seeds with me. Just email your address to mister_seeds@yahoo.com if your interested.
    Thanks.

• smokemaster_2007
    16 years ago

What do you have to trade?

Right now the tree is about 6-7ft tall.I pruned it in Oct.
    First time I cut anything off it other than if I had a broken branch.
    I should have done it a couple years ago.
    It's growing a lot more branches and the peppers are a lot bigger-fatter.
    Before it had 4-5 ft. branches but it wasn't bushy at all.
    Now the whole plant is getting bushier besides taller and wider.

I'm probably going to have to repot it this year.
    Maybe put it in a bigger container,It's in a 15 gal. one now.
    I don't know when to re pot it.It has no dormant stage.It grows peppers year round.
    I think re pottings supposed to be done when it's not growing peppers or branches etc.
    Maybe I should leave it alone and keep doing what I'm doing.i don't know,haven't decided what i'm going to do yet.

It's been in the same pot all these years since it was a seedling.

The soil keeps getting used up and I replace it with whatever I feel like at the time-compost one time,worm casings the next,planter mix the next.
    It still seems to grow,it has liked anything I feed it so far.

I am going to try and get some cuttings from it in case it dies for some reason.
    I don't think the cuttings are supposed to get as big as the original plant though.
    So far I can't get cuttings to live or grafts to work either.

I really like the plant and it's peppers.
    Last year I got 5 gal. of peppers pickled from it and at least the same amount that I froze.
    I give a lot away and eat them every day.
    I've only seen this habanero the one time when I got it originally.
    Another guy has one a year younger than mine that only got 6ft. high but it's been in a 3 gal. container.
    I don't know where he got it.

There is a red peppered habanero tree that looks the same that I've seen seeds advertised for,I don't remember what it was called or where I saw it advertised.

I'm thinking about trying to cross a red Savina with it and see if I get a Tree Savina.
    That would be cool.

Breed a Naga Jolokia tree,that put out peppers year round.

• moronguideto
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Geee that sounds great . You really have a green thumb. Well what I have here are Thai Hot Dragon , Siling Labuyo , Taiwan Bird's Eye Pepper, Siling Lara and Siling Haba seeds.

• smokemaster_2007
    16 years ago

Cmpman and Moronguideto.You have mail.

• cmpman1974
    16 years ago

Smokemaster,

I never received the e-mail from you. Can you try again? My e-mail is cmpman1974 at wowway dot com. Please replace at for @ and dot for . Eliminate spaces as well between words. I'm trying to stop potential spammers. I look forward to getting your e-mail.

Chris

• smokemaster_2007
    16 years ago

Cmpman,thats the address I sent to before.
    I'll send another.

• seattleman1969
    13 years ago

Gents,

I am married to a Filipina and would love to treat her with some additional memories of home by growing some labuyo, haba, and lara in our garden for her.

I don't currently have any seeds to exchange but I am hoping that next year I will have some rare varieties (Ordered from the USDA seed bank) to share including a yellow chiltepin type that is actually a chinense from Central America (Yellow fire).