Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Small-scale indoor winter pepper garden

Posted by don555 3a (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 2:18

Some folks here have huge pepper gardens and that can be intimidating to us dabblers. I grow about 4 patio-pots of early-ripening hot peppers outdoors during summer, and during winter I grow a few peppers under lights, usually in 6" pots.

Last winter I grew under shop-lights a couple pots of some Naga variety... I got the seed from a trade on this site. At first I didn't think I'd actually use any of the peppers since they are wickedly beyond anything I'd sampled previously, but I grew to like them and now I'm down to the last couple pods and I need a new crop. So here it is in its early stages...

I planted indoor Naga peppers July 28 under lights, and these plants just got their first blossoms today, all 3 of them.
 photo Nov513Naga1.jpg

Here's a closer up shot of one of the Nagas today, showing lots of buds.
 photo Nov513Naga2.jpg

Here's a pic of my indoor set up, with the Nagas in the back row and some cayenne-like hot pepper in the foreground. I've also got a pot of Thai Sun pepper growing, to act as a pollen source when the cayenne-like plant stops flowering, plus some random pots of basil, etc.
 photo Nov513IndoorPeppers2.jpg

If last year is any indication, I won't be picking ripe-red Naga pots until at least February 2014.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small-scale indoor winter pepper garden

How nice to have fresh in February!

Good looking set up.

Okay, now I've got to know - why is it that pepper people are tidy people? I haven't seen one photo with any messes or clutter in them and I'm sure that we all don't stage each and every pic!

o

At ~ 3.5 months in, those look good.

o

See there, you went and got hooked, Don! Funny how that works, isn't it? haha! Looking really good!

o

That is quite a challenge and accomplishment there.
Well done

o

Thanks all! There's something tantalizing, a bit delightfully decadent really, about growing superhots in the basement under lights. Kind of like a grow-op without the risk of getting busted, but something that most neighbors would still be shocked to discover that you are growing in your basement...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here