Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about crossing peppers

Posted by guysensei1 none (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 26, 12 at 4:21

Hey everyone
I wanted to cross a Asian birds eye and a jalape�o, and after doing some research, I found that a crossing table says that frutescens x annuum will result in 'normal germination'.
Does anyone know what's the difference between this and say, highly fertile?

Btw, the crossing table is from fatalii.net

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Pepper jungle

Interesting site. Reminds me not to be proud of how big my plant had gotten... (Btw, what language is that? Looks vaguely Nordic.)

Massive plant pic here

o
... in Finland ?!?

Finnish: "taste the quality of domestic"

As to the original question, I don't see that "normal germination" speaks to fertility at all. The two descriptions appear to be orthogonal.

o
RE: Question about crossing peppers

well maybe it means 'f1 is sterile'?

many other crossing tables say that it crosses sporadically.
has anyone ever crossed a birds eye and a jalapeno before?

o

Howdy,
I have a question. Guysensei1 mentioned a crossing table. Where can I find that? Sounds both interesting and very useful.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

o

The table that edymnion posted also has 'normal germination' listed.
Has any cross ever been made of the species listed as 'NG'?

o

Yes. I means that the resulting hybrid seeds germinated normally. Contrast that to IV, or "inviable", where the cross produced seeds, but the seeds did not germinate.

The chart is obviously from a paper describing experiments. It would be nice to see the original paper. As I say above, the entries seem to be describing different things about the crosses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here