Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mecdave

Don't do this at home

Don't take a big whiff of your just-ground superhot peppers unless you're positive your sinuses need to be cauterized.

Don't assume just because your work hardened hands aren't burning at the moment, that you won't end up spreading the pain all over your body before the hands start burning too.

Don't eat superhot peppers on an empty stomach. The distress will continue on into the next day for at least X* number of hours.

* Distress still ongoing. Will fill in the X number when it finally stops.

Don't...

Comments (33)

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

... I'm back. Whew, that was close!

Don't...

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I second the "HANDS" part.
    I never feel burn or itch on my hands. So sometimes I forget to wash them thoroughly and then I touch my other body parts an then I realize it. Of course, the hottest pepper that I handle is red Habanero. Still pretty hot to me.

With the powder, I let the grinder sit and settle a while before opening it.

Seysonn

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

When grinding peppers in my coffee grinder I cover it with a plastic Baggie and wait at least 10 minutes before I carefully remove it. Experience is the best teacher!

• scorion1
    9 years ago

I have not use a grinder yet,but have gas my house out when deseeding peppers.Not a good thing to do.

• Bill_Missy
    9 years ago

Don't cut up peppers without gloves and then touch the bedroom door knob.... I did and my wife did not like it as she opened the door after I touched it and wiped her eyes. Lets just say she got mad!!! lol

• peppers_galore
    9 years ago

I got a $17 3M respirator and some Venom Steel gloves at Menards recently. They work really well but I need to remember to not touch the tools after I de-glove. It seems every time I get done with working with peppers I burn myself from cross-contamination.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

I think we should all research the ebola protocols to learn how to apply, and most especially, un-apply protection.

For instance, if you double-glove, then take one outer glove off with your other outer glove, you probably have just contaminated the inner glove.

Fume hood would beat the respirator solution, but since that is not an option for most, we need research on the effectiveness of respirators.

- Dennis, equipment supplier to mad scientists around the world

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Don't assume that your cheap exam gloves will prevent capsaicin oil from penetrating to your hands. It got through mine the other day.

Never (men) take a whiz right after cutting up peppers, even if you think they aren't that hot. Like you said. Don't assume. I made this mistake and I was doin a dance that would've made anyone laugh. Me, I cried just a little. Ha

I agree whole heartedly that eating super hots on an empty stomach can be a miserably interesting experience.

dj

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Treat hot peppers just like you would working in poison ivy. Wash yer tools, clothes, and bag yer gloves. And don't pet anything with yer gloves on, 'cause it'll come right back at'cha.
    I've been eating peppers for 55 years and have always eaten them WITH something. I guess newbies gotta learn the hard way...;-)

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't use an organic granular fertilizer* on your indoor plants unless your house already smells like chicken sh1t and/or you really like the smell.

* I know, not for potted plants, but I hated to see it going to waste. Fortunately it's warm enough for the pots to go outside for the next few days. ;-)

Don't ... (fill in the blank).

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Excellent link necm, but misses the spirit of the thread. ;-)

Don't ... >>>insert humorous experience here

This post was edited by mecdave on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 9:58

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Another excellent link?

Here is a link that might be useful: how do I wash peppers off my hands?

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Don't plant more seeds than you have potting soil and little containers to put them in, when they outgrow the seedling tray. Like I did, somehow believing there would be low germination and with a friend asking for half the seedlings. Gave up trying to count the seeds and planted what I thought was about fifty seeds, ended up with one hundred and ten little seedlings.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Don 't toast* dried chiles inside unless you want the paint to peel off the walls and the cat to leave home. Take an electric skillet outside, or use an outdoor grill.

(Toasting is basically dry frying them to change the flavor - drives off some of the capsaicin, carmelizes the sugars, makes them mellow and yummy)

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

great thread!

• centexan254 zone 8 Temple, Tx
    9 years ago

Do not handle your gun with rubber grips after chopping peppers. I would up with a blistered spot on my side where the grip touched my body. I still wonder how I managed to do that, and how I did not get it on my face. The oils must have gone through the gloves.

• Deeby
    9 years ago

Would it be mean if a lady just got the giggles?

• randy355
    9 years ago

Don't try and tell your teenagers friends that Reaper powder is not the same as Chile powder just enjoy the show

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Deeby ... only if the lady isn't planning to get amorous with a guy who has just chopped habaneros.

The burn is contagious

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

I buy my gloves at a Commercial Fishing Supply . No oil gets through ,they are cheep and a pair lasts the whole season. $4 a pair
    Also the rubber dipped gloves at the local hardware store work fine but you can get the gloves they use for cleaning fish that go up to your elbows . Well worth the investment and no way any capsicum will get through these things.
    A must have for anyone dealing with a lot of heat.

• pepperdave
    9 years ago

I recommend a pair of these at least. Latex in no match for the hot oils that will bleed through even 2 pair. And you dont have to throw them out I put mine in a 1gal zip lock.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't stand downwind of the electric skillet while toasting superhots outside, as lazygardens suggested. Whew...my lungs are still burning!

I'm smoking the last of the pods today and decided to pan toast a handful on the electric burner I use to preheat the smoker with. Unfortunately the wind was out of the wrong direction and I got gassed every time I opened the door to stir them up.

Beyond that, they turned out great! Will make a nice flavor addition to this evening's salad.

Don't...

This post was edited by mecdave on Sun, Dec 21, 14 at 17:27

• Edymnion
    9 years ago

Also an important thing I learned through painful experience.

When running nuclear hots through the dehydrator, PUT THE DEHYDRATOR OUTSIDE!

Nothing says "You are a effing dumbass!" like filling the dehydrator to the brim with bhuts, turning it on, walking away, only for a few minutes later to realize that you have just maced your entire house.

• kchd
    9 years ago

Pepper peeps, try nitrile gloves. They work wonders and stand up to oil.

• garretds7
    9 years ago

Don't ever forget...
    when you work with Habanero's earlier in the day without gloves, including washing your hands (don't matter how many times you wash your hands). And later that night before bed - take your contact lenses out.

Again...
    The next morning thinking you can put them back on.

Yeah, here's my sign :)

Hey, that capsicum stays on your fingers for atleast 5 days. I was wearing gloves just to put my contacts in after that!

• garretds7
    9 years ago

Another true teenager one...

Make sure to tell them not to sniff the yummy odor of the freshly ground up powder too heavily. Then watch them take a big ole whif! It was funny as hell. I told him not to do it, but all manly like he went on as if to snort the Habanero Orange right out of the container. Just before handing it over, I gave it a little shake (my reason for the warning). Haha! Loved it!!!

He must of sneezed 30 times after, ROFL!

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one should go without saying.

Don't do this at home... seriously. :D

youtube video

• northeast_chileman
    9 years ago

Addressing above video, click on this Link.

• gnappi
    9 years ago

Did anyone ever see the movie Apocalypto specifically the scenes with the soanzo leaf ? It's Hilarious!!!

• LullabyF360
    9 years ago

My cousin has a hilarious, but inappropriate story about a girl he picked up at a bar. Earlier in the day he was cooking with super hot peppers. He didn't end up in pain. She did.

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't forget those little ol' poblanos you grew last season were unusually hot and WILL reach out and bite you when (and where) you least expect it.

(sigh... guess I need to review this thread from time to time)

Don't...

• northern_hab
    9 years ago

Don't:::: Give your neighbours kid (university student) red habs. :) He went back to his dorm and fried them up. HA!!
    Gassed everyone out, then texted me to call me a Di(k.

Sponsored
Sharp Landscaping
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Hanover County's Source for Beautifully Designed Outdoor Spaces