Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ironmike_usmc

Happy Veteran's Day

MikeUSMC
9 years ago

Ok, I did my "Marine" post yesterday, but, today I'd like to say thanks to ALL Veterans, from ALL branches of the service for their sacrifices. It does not, and WILL not go unnoticed. We are all forever in debt to you. Freedom isn't free, though it can be easy to take for granted. Thank you all, and Happy Veteran's Day!

Mike

Comments (11)

• cottonwood468
    9 years ago

Like my father, grandfather and uncles And all the current people serving. I serve as a judge on election days, and I think of you every time. Thank you.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Yep, thanks to all that have served and are currently serving. Make sure you guys take advantage of the various restaurants that are offering free meals today to the Vets. They all seem to like to see you show up as much as you might like FREE FOOD.
    I can't help but find this little Polar Vortex snow storm today as being a reminder of the "Armistace Day Storm" that hit some 74 years ago on November 11th up the upper mid west.
    Bruce

• User
    9 years ago

Up north here in Canada November 11, Remembrance Day is a somber day we recognize the service of our living Vets and remember those who have died defending our freedom and our country's values.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Lest We Forget

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the morning,
    We will remember them.

Here is a link that might be useful: In Flanders Fields

• peppernovice
    9 years ago

Well said gentlemen. I'd like to thank my fellow Marines, as well as all the other branches of service. I don't care if you were Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard, etc. If you served......Thank You! May God bless and keep you and your families.

Tim

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

My heartfelt thanks to all current and prior military, be they ones who served or their families who also sacrificed.

• gmatx zone 6
    9 years ago

Sorry - double post.

This post was edited by gmatx on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 18:54

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Good point gmatx. Families of the service members sacrifice greatly as well. They typically are not in the line of fire but without the support and understanding back home by the family, our military men and women would not be able to do what they do for us over seas in harms way.
    Bruce

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I posted on the other thread but also would like to thank all those who served and currently serving. I didn't see the vets out with the poppies this year - first year I haven't gotten one! But I marched with the fife and drum corps today (and 2 days ago), today in Springfield MA there was a color guard of 4 Marines behind us. At the end of the parade I asked them to join us for lunch, or at least some hot cider, but they declined. I shook each man's hand and thanked him for his service - I should have had the kids do that too.

But I salute each and every one of you! Thank you for doing the toughest job on Earth.

Sheila (22 yr Navy civilian employee, Army wife, Marine and Seabee niece, Navy granddaughter, Army great-great-niece)

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

Go Navy!

(I always root for Navy - unless they're playing Notre Dame... Never served, but I am a Life Member of the US Naval Institute.)

Dennis

P.S. They still got Seabees? Ft. Worth just disbanded their division (9th?) a couple months ago...

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I had to check, I've been a SAHM for 10 years. But according to the website, Navy still has CB and they're recruiting (my uncle served during Vietnam, his little brother who lives about a mile from me was in the Marines).

Here is a link that might be useful: Seabee website

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

ajsmama: Over the past couple years, I have been seeing the fellas selling the poppies less and less. I can't remember the last time I saw one. I always stop and drop a buck or two or three. I used to collect the little poppies and stick them along the dome light fixture in my truck. I had over a dozen by the time my dog decided they were fun to play with. I was kind of hoping to start a new collection but just haven't found an opportunity for a long time.

I hope they show up again around the holidays.
    Bruce

Sponsored