Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuvaszlvr

pine bark fines

kuvaszlvr
12 years ago

HI guys, I'm outside of Tulsa, ok. I have been looking for pine bark fines to make soil. Surprisingly I have found Turface but no pine bark fines. I've check Lowes and several nurseries. I'm at my wits end. Any ideas on where to find it, or what I could substitute?

Comments (24)

• redshirtcat
    12 years ago

You should probably check out this thread: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/okgard/msg0114434224859.html

If you still can't find "pine fines" you can usually screen "pine mulch" down to an appropriate size or find some very old bags of pine mulch that have essentially broken down into pine fines while sitting on a pallet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJW3wIuVc90

You should call the local bulk mulch/compost suppliers - the places the landscapers use to see if they have either pine mulch or true pine fines - that's how I ended up finding mine.

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info. After I posted this I finally found some at Sanders Nursery. Yea!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Well, if anyone knows where I can find Pine Bark Fines in the central wisconsin area, let me know. I live near the Wisconsin Dells and can't find them any where. Menards, Home Depot and Walmart are all no goes along with all the other garden centers I visited last summer. I would be willing to drive an hour or so to get some.
    Bruce

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Bruce, maybe you should start a new thread. Your question may get lost here. Wish I could help you. I'm so excited that I finally found the pine bark fines and the Turface. Good luck! One idea, you might google nursery in your area and just go down the list trying them all.. That's essentially what I finally did, and I actually came across a whole bunch of nurseries in the area that I had never even heard of.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

kuvaszlvr:
    Yes, I may start a new thread. I have one in the "Wisconsin" garden web forum but after about 5 days, no one has replied. It isn't nearly as active as this one. I did call several nurseries last year and when I asked for "Pine bark fines" or Fir bark fines, they all asked "what the heck is that". But sometimes if you wait a while and ask a second time, you get a completely different response. Maybe the sales clerk will be different and be more familiar with the business. I just wish it wasn't soo dang hard to find some. I would also love to find some of that Turface.

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Haha, I didn't get any responses that were that bad, but I got a whole lot of "no, we do not carry pine bark fines". I was shocked when I found one that did carry it. You might also considering asking a nursery that doesn't carry it if they will order it for you, it's worth a try.

I found the turface by doing a "branch locator" search here
    http://www.johndeerelandscapes.com/storelocator/BullseyePro/search.asp
    I think most of the John Deere Landscape stores carry it.

I hope you find some!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the JD landscape stores. There is one about 50 miles south of me. I will check it out. Will they sell it in smaller quantities? I don't really care for a pallet full of 50 pound bags. lol.
    And I will be trying again on the pine bark fines all over the area.

• nc_crn
    12 years ago

It's a market-driven decision that pits the home gardener vs. the commercial grower.

Right now the home gardener market is still expected to rely on peat or pay too much for coconut coir/fines (or similar) in tiny bags. It's a total market/consumer-driven decision.

There's pine bark fines (and other grades aside from "chunks" commonly sold to the home gardener) all over...it's just most people that carry it expect you to buy a commercial-sized amount of it.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Yes, exactly what nc-crn said.

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well esox07, I sure hope they will sell it in smaller quantities, otherwise I'm screwed. ;-) Same with the pine bark fines.... Guess I'll find out tomorrow!

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

They don't around here. I called about 8 nurseries/landscaping outfits and have checked all the garden centers in the area. Best I can find is an Orchid Nursery that will sell it at $22 for 2 CF which is barely enough to fill a 5 gallon container.
    Good Luck,
    Bruce

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry to hear that. I did read (on this forum) that Espoma Soil Perfecta is the same stuff as Turface and Ace Hardware carries it. You might even try substituting poultry grit for Turface... I know it's not the same thing, but it might do. It's crushed granite.

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I guess I lucked out. The place (Sanders Nursery) not only sells pine bark fines but sells them in packages that are the same size as the big bags of mulch. I will go by John Deere Landscapes tomorrow to check out the Turface... but, so far so good. I think my biggest problem will be finding someone who carries big bags of perlite.

• johnjsr
    12 years ago

Timberline brand pine mulch in the purple bag. Walmart.

• kentishman
    12 years ago

My local nursery sells pine mulch in different grades. I bought a scoop (small pickup load) of triple ground pine bark and it has worked well for my soil mix. My problem is that my wife wants the still large pile moved out of the driveway!

• armac1965
    12 years ago

How much did the bag, and what size, was the turface from John Deere store?

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, I didn't make it by. I figured I'd go with chicken grit, pine fines, and perlite.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

For those that cannot find Fir Bark Fines locally, you can order it from Home Depot and get free shipping on orders over $45.00. It is $5.49 per 2 liter bag which isn't cheap compared to having a local supplier but it is cheaper than most other options. Check the link below.
    Bruce

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Depot Fir Bark Fines

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Well, I got the Home Depot Fir Bark Fines delivered today. They are way to big for making a potting mix. This "Better-gro Fir Bark" is not a viable option. I will be returning it to the local store tomorrow. The bags are way smaller than I expected also. It would take two plus bags to make enough mix for one five gallon container. Back to the drawing board.
    Bruce

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow... I'm really sorry esox07. I wish there was a way I could help.

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Ahhh, no need to be sorry. Just an extra trip to the local HD to return them. No worse off than before. I will just have to keep looking.
    Bruce

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am just sorry that you are having such a hard time finding it. too bad I can't go buy you some bags and ship them to you, but I fear the shipping costs would far outweigh any advantages. Have you asked any of the smaller nurseries if they could order you some?
    Pam

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    12 years ago

kuvaszlvr:
    Yah, I thought of having some one ship me some but yes, the fees would be cost prohibitive. I have called many nurseries, garden centers and such and 9 times out of 10 I get silence when I ask for Fir Bark fines, pine bark fines, finely groun fir bark, finely ground pine bark or orchid bark or anything close. I do have an Orchid grower somewhat close but he sells "orchid bark" for about the same as the stuff from Home Depot. I guess they don't figure on someone needing more than about a gallon bag of it at any one time. Last year I wound up getting some finely ground pine mulch for my peppers. It wasn't real fine and I don't want to go through sifting it so I used it as it was. it wasn't ideal but it worked well enough I guess. Probably what I will resort to again this spring if necessary. In the mean time, I will just have to keep my eyes open.

• kuvaszlvr
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm not sure if this will help, but my stuff is called
    Hapi-gro 100% organic compost (no where does it say anything about pine, but it is, and the nursery called it Pine Fines. it's made by Hope Agri Products, Inc out of Hope, AR. I found this site, it lists contacts, maybe you could contact someone in the company. Just a thought.
    http://www.manta.com/c/mmjhbhc/hope-agri-products-inc

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio