Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loweride

Is this a Bhut Jolokia or did I mislabel

loweride
10 years ago

I bought Trinidad Moruga Scorpions, Bhut Jolokias, and Trinidad Douglahs and this pepper is marked "Bhut Jolokia". It doesn't look like the pictures I see from other peoples' Bhuts.

Do you think it is a Bhut Jolokia? Aren't they supposed to be red? Maybe it will go from orange to red?

Comments (16)

• habjolokia z 6b/7
    10 years ago

Looks like a Bhut to me

Mark

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    10 years ago

+1 for Mark

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Looks good Loweride. They will redden up shortly, hang in there. John

• loweride
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks folks. I'd hate to bite into it thinking it was a Bhut Jolokia and find out it is something really spicy..... hahaha

• Jeff_H
    10 years ago

Hahaha. Funny how we don't consider bhuts to be real hot anymore when two years ago the were world record holders...

On the same note, I mix bhut powder 50/50 with Scorp BT powder because the scorp powder by itself is so freaking hot that it needs something not quite as hot to temper it. :-)

• jtight
    10 years ago

Yes.

• tsheets
    10 years ago

They will go from orange to red eventually. The redder the better.

• loweride
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good thing y'all told me that. It is all orange now and people at work are itching to try it out. So I'll tell them to wait a bit.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

wait until it turns completely red. by that I mean wait until you think it's done turning, then give it another few days. first they get orange, then they get red, then they get really dark red. it's not until the dark red stage that the flavor is fully developed. when you hear people on here talking about how much they love that bhut flavor, it's the dark red stage's flavor they're talking about.

also, it's nice to see a thread here and there where people actually end up with the type of plant they hoped to grow. all these mislabeled seed threads can get depressing.

• loweride
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is what it looks like today. It really isn't that red, but the HPS light makes it look like that. I'll wait for a while. I just don't want it to get rotten. It is my first pod ever.

I got my peppers from Dave at midwestchilipeppers.com. I think he gets his seeds from the Chile Pepper Institute. He seems pretty particular in what he sells.

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

getting close. note that the very tip is still somewhat orange. when that part turns as red as the rest currently is, it's ready. by then the rest will have reached it's final color.

for what it's worth, this was my first year growing bhuts. I went thru exactly what you're going thru now. I jumped the gun on a few of them, and left the rest on the plant the proper amount of time. the wait is worth it. you've waited this long, right?

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Those peppers are so hot that they are sweating themselves. Any time I look at them I get that impression or as if they have tanning oil on.

• fusion_power
    10 years ago

When you have on 3 pairs of nitrile gloves and still have problems with oil getting through, you understand what hot hands are.

• kclost
    10 years ago

I don't want to disagree with the experts here, But I believe you have a cross of some kind with a Bhut parent. Notice how dark green your peppers are prior to turning color. A pure Bhut "Jolokia" (if that is what we are talking about) is a much lighter green color prior to turning orange (see pic). I also grew this season what appears to be the same pepper you show and it may be a variety of "bhut" but they are no doubt a different pepper.

I'll show another pic of what was also labeled a "ghost pepper" which I thought was a Bhut Jolokia, but they don't look the same at all.

• kclost
    10 years ago

Here is what was labeled "ghost pepper" when I purchased them. See the difference in the ripening color and also the shade of green.

I would appreciate any explanation if I am wrong, but I don't believe these are pure "bhuts"..

• kclost
    10 years ago

Here is one of each when green... Bhut on left, ghost on right (as they were labeled)

I'm done Hijacking!!! lol.. But I would love to know what is correct.

This post was edited by kclost on Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 8:31

Sponsored