Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saoodhashim

Jalapeno Seedling

saoodhashim
10 years ago

The Jalapeno seedling in the picture germinated about 15 days back and as soon as I saw the green stem poke above the soil line I put it under the CFLs. It was rising, but dead slow. I could see the two green seed leaves slowly coming above the soil line. And then around 5 days back one of the seed leaf started turning brown. And just today it is as seen on the picture. One leaf is brown and the other is still to face up.

Why could this have happened?

Also I am not sure when to keep the seedlings under lights. As soon as you see that green stem poke its head out above the soil or wait until the seed leaves have fully shown and taken proper shape? I dont know but I feel if I keep it away for a while or at least not very close to CFL for a while until the seed leaves are out, I will have some success with jalapenos in particular and hot pepper in general.

Infact I tried this trick with some cherry tomato seedlings. The earlier ones, as soon as I saw its small green head above soil, I put them under close CFL and it seemed as if they stopped rising (very slow pace). The stem however kept getting thicker - but the seed leaves have yet to take the proper shape. Currently they are similar to the pepper seedling in the pic - only difference being that both its leaves are green/alive (i.e. they are seed leaves are still not facing upwards). And they have germinated around 15 days back. The other one I just got them germinated around 4 days back and while I did keep them under CFL but kept the CFLs around a foot away. They rushed towards it in day or two. The stem was thin though but the seedling took the proper shape. Then I brought the CFLs closer.

Any help will be highly appreciated

Saood

Comments (7)

• jtight
    10 years ago

I know you know this; however,

1. How is your watering situation
    2. That much direct/indirect lighting could be drying out your soil
    3. Soil mixture could be extracting the water you make available too fast thus leaving the soil around the seedling w/o needed water amounts

Just some thoughts.

• loweride
    10 years ago

I'm no expert, but have had great success with seedlings started indoors. My theory is that they need light as soon as they come out of the ground. So I put my lights on them right away.
    I also put a fan on them right away. This prevents mold and helps strengthen the plants. You don't want them to grow for a month without any "exercise" and then hope they can stay up when some wind comes along.
    If my plants grow short, thick, and stocky, I am MUCH happier than if they grow tall and lanky. If a plant is not getting enough light, the cells will expand to "stretch" for the light. This is why plants bend towards light -- because the back side that is in the shadow stretches. Stretching is not good. It is better to have a plant that is happy with the light it is getting and puts its energy into producing strong leaves, stems, and roots.

• saoodhashim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks loweride.

I agree that a short, thick stocky plant is better than a stretchy, thin plant. But that is when all other things are equal.

My problem is it gets short, thick and stocky but with seemingly burnt out leaves. Whereas the a bit leggier has near perfect leaves.

Its coming as a package deal. Now which package should I chose?

• don555
    10 years ago

When seedlings sprout outdoors, they get full sunshine as soon as they emerge from the ground. Treat your indoor plants the same -- the pot should either be situated 2" or so under lights so the seedlings get maximum light when they emerge, or if you must germinate them further from the lights, move them within an inch or two when you first see them emerge. Fluorescent lights are much less instense than sunlight, so you want to get your plants close to them from day 1.

• loweride
    10 years ago

What wattage are your CFLs?

• saoodhashim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

20 watts.
    They do produce a lot of heat. My usual room temperature is between 70-75F. I placed the room thermometer just right close to the CFL perhaps an inch away. And it was a whopping 90F. I think that would be too much for the little ones.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

Peppers are generally more stocky than tomatoes.
    But your descriptions fit to the scenario of :
    IMO:
    Light source is too close and heat is excessive.
    What make a seedling leggy, spindly, is due to the opposite conditions:
    Not enough light, light source is too far, it is not warm enough.

But generally, stocky seedling is preferred over spindly one.

Sponsored