Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chad5_gw

Hot Pepper Noob, Sayin Hello!

Chad5
10 years ago

Hello all! First off, I would like to thank all of the contributing members of this forum for sharing their info,pictures and videos. I can't tell you how much this is appreciated by us lurkers who don't have a clue and want to give hot peppers a serious go. Also, thank you for not shunning us beginners who have a million questions as it can be intimidating when you don't know where to start. I have been landscaping all of my life and organic garnening for about 5 years now. (not organic in containers). I like to take a TON of pictures of what I grow, however, the pictures on this forum maybe the best I've ever seen. True art. I plan on planting about 20 or so pepper plants next year in containers and in the garden ranging from medium hot to super hot. I began building my new grow station for next year and stumbled on a few questions. My first question is what types of peppers would you recommend for someone who is trying to test the waters? I plan to make sauces and powders out of most of the peppers, but we love spicy food in my house so we will also be eating alot cooked in meals. I had no idea these seeds were so much $ until I started shopping around which is why I would like some recomendations on which to purchase. I don't know if this helps but we cook alot of fish and chicken in this house so if any would pair nicely with this please let me know. Also, I don't know if I can post the website name that I am considering buying from, but they sell the Carolina Reaper and claim to be part of the devolopment team. If anyone knows what I am talking about...Is this a reputable supplier of seeds? Thank You, Chad

Comments (4)

• jtight
    10 years ago

Welcome.

As far as planting in "containers" just make sure the container is the size of a mature plant. Nothing worse than having to replant over a/ over b/c the plant outgrows the bucket.

Personally I have the following:
    Bell Peppers
    Scotch Bonnets
    Cayenne
    Jalapeño (however, not replanting for 2014)
    Ghost Peppers
    Trinidad Scorpion

My opin you could use any of the above in marinades for fish/chicken. Grind up to make powder, as you ref., or cut some into strips a/ mix into seasoning, hell make your own sauce. There is no limit w/ what to do.

No info on the Carolina Reaper. Others here prob have this.

Good luck a/ thanks for joining the forum

Johnny

• jtight
    10 years ago

Welcome.

As far as planting in "containers" just make sure the container is the size of a mature plant. Nothing worse than having to replant over a/ over b/c the plant outgrows the bucket.

Personally I have the following:
    Bell Peppers
    Scotch Bonnets
    Cayenne
    Jalapeño (however, not replanting for 2014)
    Ghost Peppers
    Trinidad Scorpion

My opin you could use any of the above in marinades for fish/chicken. Grind up to make powder, as you ref., or cut some into strips a/ mix into seasoning, hell make your own sauce. There is no limit w/ what to do.

No info on the Carolina Reaper. Others here prob have this.

Good luck a/ thanks for joining the forum

Johnny

• judo_and_peppers
    10 years ago

buying seeds is for losers. nobody on here buys seeds. most forum members (myself included) will happily give away seeds if you ask nicely.

my personal favorites in the medium hot range are thai peppers (several varieties), tabasco, aji limon, orange habanero, and chocolate habanero.

for superhots my favorites are the chocolate scorpion, moruga scorpion, and the brain strain 7pot.

I find jalapenos pointless, and I grew serrano this year but won't be growing it next year, I find that pepper incredibly boring.

I'm growing 30+ varieties next year. this oughta be fun.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

You *must* grow the Ghost (bhut jolokia). It is Capsicum chinense, as are most of the super-hots, and they mostly grow alike so choose which appeals to you. Scorpion is hot as hell but otherwise I don't feel that it has much to recommend it. I like Tr. Douglah.

Also consider fatalii, red or yellow, from Africa. Very! hot, prolific, - and tough. Chocolate Habanero or Scotch Bonnet. Aji limon or lemon drop is good - medium hot with a unique flavor. Try and ornamental or two like Numex Twilight or Black Pearl just for fun.

Don't spend anything for seeds. Many of the sources are rip-offs anyway. Avoid eBay and Amazon like the plague. Get your seeds here.

Enjoy the madness!

Dennis

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor