Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will The Real Aji Amarillo Please Step Forward?

Posted by sidhartha0209 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 9:42

Would No. 1 be what is otherwise known as 'Aji Chinchi Amarillo'?

Would No. 2 be the 'standard' Aji Amarillo?

The chilliman.biz (see link provided) IDs this one as Aji Amarillo No. 1:

Photobucket

....and gives this description of it:
"The fruit grows to 4-5 cm long by 1 cm wide and matures from light green to bright yellow. This is a hot chilli and the flavour has a hint of citrus. The plant will grow to 1.5m high and is a prolific bearer. Heat Level : 7 "

The chilliman.biz IDs this one as Aji Amarillo No. 2:

Photobucket

....and gives this description of it:
"The fruit grows to 12-14 cm long and matures from green to orange. Crunchy flesh with typical fruity baccatum flavour. Great for salsa and stuffing. Heat Level : 4-5 "

Here is a link that might be useful: Capsicum baccatum

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will The Real Aji Amarillo Please Step Forward?

It looks similar to the aji chinchi amarillos I grew this year. The color of mine were closer to the second pic. They look a lot like the lemon drops I have. I've never grown the regular aji amarillo.

o

No. 1 "grows to 4-5 cm long by 1 cm wide and matures from light green to bright yellow. This is a hot chilli and the flavour has a hint of citrus."

It looks and sounds like the Burpee Hot Lemon I grew this year, see link for comparison.

No. 2 "grows to 12-14 cm long and matures from green to orange."

#2 is three times the size of #1. What size was the one you grew?

Here is a link that might be useful: Burpee Hot Lemon Pepper

o

The Aji chinchi amarillo I grew was about the same size as Lemon Drops. About 5 cm give or take.

Front and center are Aji chinchi amarillo:
Final Harvest 2

These are my Lemon Drops:
Lemon Drop Loaded, Lemon Drop with ripe fruit.

The regular Aji Amarillo is supposed to be more full size like you mentioned.

o

Thanks for the pics and for commenting t. Look at the 1st and third listings on the Pepermania link provided.

Would you agree the 1st listing is the same as #2 Amarillo in the OP?

Would you agree the 3rd listing is the same as #1 Amarillo in the OP?

I say yes to both, they are the same.

Here is a link that might be useful: Capsicum baccatum - 2012

o

"The color of mine were closer to the second pic."

One more question, where did you get your seed or plants?

o

The aji chinchis I got from peppermania.

o

Hello
I hope this helps. I got my aji amarillo seeds from some peppers I bought at a market in Peru. The pepper grows to be about 3-6 inches in length and changes from green to orange. My wife is from Peru and uses this pepper in many of her Peruvian dishes. The plant also over winters well. I have one plant that is 5 years old now.

o

tinley, what zone are you in?

o

"tinley, what zone are you in?"

Ditto

..and yes you're helping, the pepper you're describing sounds like #2 in the OP.

tinley, 5 yrs of overwintering is quite impressive (to me at least) and I thank you very much for sharing this.

Do you consider this pepper to to be hot, or vey hot? Perhaps the better question is. is it good to eat fresh, as is, out of hand? Or is it too hot for that?

o

I think the heat levels in the original post are backwards. The Aji Chinchi Amarillo has less heat than the larger Aji Amarillo, IMO.

o

Sorry for the delay in responding. I live in KY zone 6.
The pepper is hot but in Peruvian cooking the pepper is placed in boiling water and then made into a paste which takes most of the heat away. I think she does use in fresh in ceviche though. I do have a few extra seeds if you would like some.

o

Hey tinley, thanks for commenting and for the seed offer. Let someone else have them, right now I'm inclined to order plants for 2013.

It sounds as if what you have is #2 in the OP.

o

Hey Tinley was wondering if you still have the aji amarillo seeds(not lemon drop,already have those)that you may want to share or trade with me:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here