Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sidhartha0209

Will The Real Aji Amarillo Please Step Forward?

sidhartha0209
11 years ago

Would No. 1 be what is otherwise known as 'Aji Chinchi Amarillo'?

Would No. 2 be the 'standard' Aji Amarillo?

The chilliman.biz (see link provided) IDs this one as Aji Amarillo No. 1:

....and gives this description of it:

"The fruit grows to 4-5 cm long by 1 cm wide and matures from light green to bright yellow. This is a hot chilli and the flavour has a hint of citrus. The plant will grow to 1.5m high and is a prolific bearer. Heat Level : 7 "

The chilliman.biz IDs this one as Aji Amarillo No. 2:

....and gives this description of it:

"The fruit grows to 12-14 cm long and matures from green to orange. Crunchy flesh with typical fruity baccatum flavour. Great for salsa and stuffing. Heat Level : 4-5 "

Here is a link that might be useful: Capsicum baccatum

Comments (13)

• tsheets
    11 years ago

It looks similar to the aji chinchi amarillos I grew this year. The color of mine were closer to the second pic. They look a lot like the lemon drops I have. I've never grown the regular aji amarillo.

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No. 1 "grows to 4-5 cm long by 1 cm wide and matures from light green to bright yellow. This is a hot chilli and the flavour has a hint of citrus."

It looks and sounds like the Burpee Hot Lemon I grew this year, see link for comparison.

No. 2 "grows to 12-14 cm long and matures from green to orange."

#2 is three times the size of #1. What size was the one you grew?

Here is a link that might be useful: Burpee Hot Lemon Pepper

• tsheets
    11 years ago

The Aji chinchi amarillo I grew was about the same size as Lemon Drops. About 5 cm give or take.

Front and center are Aji chinchi amarillo:

These are my Lemon Drops:

The regular Aji Amarillo is supposed to be more full size like you mentioned.

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the pics and for commenting t. Look at the 1st and third listings on the Pepermania link provided.

Would you agree the 1st listing is the same as #2 Amarillo in the OP?

Would you agree the 3rd listing is the same as #1 Amarillo in the OP?

I say yes to both, they are the same.

Here is a link that might be useful: Capsicum baccatum - 2012

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"The color of mine were closer to the second pic."

One more question, where did you get your seed or plants?

• tsheets
    11 years ago

The aji chinchis I got from peppermania.

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

tinley, what zone are you in?

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"tinley, what zone are you in?"

Ditto

..and yes you're helping, the pepper you're describing sounds like #2 in the OP.

tinley, 5 yrs of overwintering is quite impressive (to me at least) and I thank you very much for sharing this.

Do you consider this pepper to to be hot, or vey hot? Perhaps the better question is. is it good to eat fresh, as is, out of hand? Or is it too hot for that?

• highalttransplant
    11 years ago

I think the heat levels in the original post are backwards. The Aji Chinchi Amarillo has less heat than the larger Aji Amarillo, IMO.

• tinley244
    11 years ago

Sorry for the delay in responding. I live in KY zone 6.
    The pepper is hot but in Peruvian cooking the pepper is placed in boiling water and then made into a paste which takes most of the heat away. I think she does use in fresh in ceviche though. I do have a few extra seeds if you would like some.

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey tinley, thanks for commenting and for the seed offer. Let someone else have them, right now I'm inclined to order plants for 2013.

It sounds as if what you have is #2 in the OP.

• itzybitzy_gw
    11 years ago

Hey Tinley was wondering if you still have the aji amarillo seeds(not lemon drop,already have those)that you may want to share or trade with me:)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH