Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Manzanos Not Ripe Yet

Posted by john11840 z6/CT (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 2, 10 at 10:45

As usual, frost time is here and the Manzanos aren't ripe yet. I have some plants with big, beautiful pods that are almost ready to turn, but not ripe yet. Will they ripen on the counter if I bring them inside? Would it be better to dig up the whole plant and bring that inside in a pot? Any advice will be appreciated.
John A

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Manzanos Not Ripe Yet

I would dig up and bring pot in. Here in Maine I grow most in pots, so don't have to dig up, but often have to bring plants in to finish ripening. They do quite well with very little light if you just want to finish ripening.

john

o

Thanks Fiedlermeister. I followed your advice and potted them. The first one has already ripened. It was a beautiful red one about 3" in diameter.

This is the 3rd year I've used your recipe for bread & butter peppers. I enjoy those very much.

John A

o

I'm glad it worked for you and also that you like the peppers. After your plants finish ripening their pods you might want to cut them back and try to over winter them. They can survive with a little light and give you a big head start next year.

o

It looks like only one of the 3 plants I potted are going to survive the transplant. The pods still seem to be ripening anyway. I'm already getting too make over-wintered plants inside. Wife is going to start objecting soon. I did save the seed from the big red Manzano.
John A

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here