Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sidhartha0209

Limon - questions

sidhartha0209
11 years ago

I'd appreciate input from any who have experience with this chile.

Does Limon have any sort of lemon or citrus flavor, or is it just hot? (I'm skeptical of 'early season' anything in the flavor department)

How hot is it?

How productive is it?

Would this do well in a hanging container?

Description from Cross Country Nurseries (see link for photo):

"LIMON - very hot; 1.5 to 2 inches long by 0.5 to 0.625 inches wide; medium thick flesh; matures from green to yellow; pendant pods; green leaves; 12 to 18 inches tall; Early Season; Uses: Prolific; from Peru; C.chinense."

Here is a link that might be useful: Cross Country Nurseries

Comments (6)

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Wikipedia and a couple other sites identify it as a baccatum. The pod pics look like the same pepper. I've never grown it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia

• peppermeister1
    11 years ago

I actually grew a Limon plant from CCN this summer. The plant was slower to start producing than most others but I ended up with a lot of fruit. The flavor is hot, and definitely a bit citrusy, but I find the Limon to have a bit of a bitter taste. I fermented a bunch for a Sriracha Limon Sauce that really cut the bitterness and tastes great on anything.

If your looking for a super tasty citrus type that grows early, try Beni Highlands. They produce well and have great heat and flavor. If your willing to wait a little longer, go with Datil. They are hot with a great bright flavor.

Here is a link that might be useful: PEPPERMEISTER! Hot pepper gardening, recipes, and chile info.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

DMF - Not sure if you are aware, but, there is a c.chinese version as well as a c.baccatum. There are many names they go by as well. I've never grown the c.chinese version, but, really like the c.baccatum. :-)

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PEPPERMEISTER1: "I actually grew a Limon plant from CCN this summer. The plant was slower to start producing than most others but I ended up with a lot of fruit. The flavor is hot, and definitely a bit citrusy, but I find the Limon to have a bit of a bitter taste. I fermented a bunch for a Sriracha Limon Sauce that really cut the bitterness and tastes great on anything.
    If your looking for a super tasty citrus type that grows early, try Beni Highlands. They produce well and have great heat and flavor. If your willing to wait a little longer, go with Datil. They are hot with a great bright flavor."

Thank you for commenting, this is exactly what I'm after. Beni Highlands is interesting, I may very well try it 2013.

Burpee Hot Lemon, which I grew this past season, has made me aware of a whole new dimension of chile peppers, all of which I'm anxious to learn about and try and grow. I guess it's now the standard from which I judge all others for fresh consumption.

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    11 years ago

DMForcier - "Wikipedia and a couple other sites identify it as a baccatum. The pod pics look like the same pepper. I've never grown it."

tsheets - "DMF - Not sure if you are aware, but, there is a c.chinese version as well as a c.baccatum. There are many names they go by as well. I've never grown the c.chinese version, but, really like the c.baccatum. :-)"

This one referenced in the OP from CCN is Chinense. There seems to be quite a bit of confusion with Limo, Limon, Hot Lemon, Lemon Drop chiles when deciding which is Baccatum and which is Chinense.

• roper2008
    11 years ago

I'm growing the baccatum next year. I grew it in 2011. It
    was extremely productive.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County