Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pretty_gurl

Mild Ornamental Pepper

pretty.gurl
11 years ago

I would love to an ornamental pepper plant to my garden. I would like a pepper on the milder side. From my research, it seems as though many of the ornamental plants can be very hot. Any suggestions?

Comments (15)

• nc_crn
    11 years ago

Medusa peppers are one of the most popular "standards" these days.

• smokemaster_2007
    11 years ago

I don't know what Mild is to you,but there are a lot of multi colored pepper plants in various sizes to choose from.

Bolivian Rainbow,Aji Omnicolor,Chinese 5 color,Nosegay(Ammazzo),Poinsettia,New Mex Twilight,flourescemt purple,firecracker Pequin,Purira(hot),Royal Black,Black Prince,cascabella,Chilly Chili,Explosive Ember,Explosive ignite,Explosive blast,Filus Blue,Jaloro,little elf,Marbles,Pretty Purple,Riot,Tri Fetti,Auora,Avala,Carneval,Embera,Mala,Masquerade,pretty in purple...

There are lots of multi colored peppers around and a lot of peppers that have pods that aren't very colorful but the plant is...

A lot of the above are no heat to mild to med. hot. in various plant and pod sizes.

• rick_in_va
    11 years ago

What are you talking, Smokemaster? I think you have burned out all of your heat sensors. The gurl is looking for mild. I would second Medusa, altho it has some heat, too. The closest thing to a sweet Christmas pepper is called "Sweet Pickle", it's multicolored ie red, orange, yellow, purple.

• rockguy
    11 years ago

I'm not clear on why heat makes a difference if the pepper will be used as an ornamental.

• pretty.gurl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am interested in adding a container pepper to my growing indoor garden. I love peppers so the plant would not be used strictly as an ornamental. I tend to enjoy peppers in the lower heat ranges. I like spicy but not super hot stuff.

• rick_in_va
    11 years ago

Well, then, for indoor pots, medusa is great, and I will backtrack and say Smoke suggested a couple really nice miniatures, explosive ignite (the smallest pepper I know of, can grow in a 3-4 inch pot) and the other explosives, but they are all in the jalapeno heat range. I still say try sweet pickle, it's very attractive and doesn't require too much space.

Explosive Ignite

• smokemaster_2007
    11 years ago

As I posted,it depends on what your idea of mild is.

I don't consider stuff with jalapeno heat as generally that hot.
    To me a lot of what I posted is in the Jalapeno heat range some are less to no heat.

Are you sure it's not my taste buds that are burned out and not that yours are too sensitive... :)

Actually you can use about any pepper in anything.
    You just use less of it and give the dish time to blend before you eat it.
    I like 7 pots but am not going to replace 5 Jalapenos in a dish with 5,7 pots...

• pretty.gurl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow. Great pic. Thank you all for the advice. I decided to purchase some Sweet Pickle seed.

• rick_in_va
    11 years ago

No argument there, Smoke. I just find when I give my peppers away to the neighbors, they always think they are hot, even when I think they are mild, so I have learned to be cautious.

• smokemaster_2007
    11 years ago

I used to always get told that my rubs were too hot by a lot of people so I usually tone things down when I smoke stuff for certain people.
    I usually smoke a lot of stuff at once and vac pack it in the freezer.
    I've found that some stuff seems to get hotter when it's been frozen.
    I've been told it's because freezing makes the water expand and open up the cells in what was frozen so when you thaw it all the spices can soak in more...
    I know jerky gets better after it's frozen along with smoked fish.

• tsheets
    11 years ago

Not to drift off topic, but, that's interesting info, there, smoke! Thanks for that. :-)

• fusion_power
    11 years ago

Drifting back on topic, I agree that many ornamental peppers are too hot for most kitchens. I've grown Pretty in Purple, Purple Robe, and several other ornamental multicolors from Craig Lehoullier. All of them run 30,000 to 50,000 scovilles.

I sold some Anaheim plants to a customer this year and was told they were way too hot. I went to his garden and tasted a few. They were distinctly hot in the range of very hot jalapenos or maybe even cayenne. This tells me that our season caused even relatively mild peppers to develop abnormally high heat levels.

DarJones

• scorpion_john
    11 years ago

If its under a Hab. Its mild, John

• pretty.gurl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Update. I bought seed and none of it germinated. I have some new seed from a different source on the way. What a bummer.

• rockguy
    11 years ago

Pepper seeds planted without bottom heat can take a long time to germinate. With heat some can be up in 3-4 days!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz