Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sidhartha0209

Favorite Chile/Powder Blends_looking for a SW recipe

sidhartha0209
11 years ago

Share your's?

Anyone have a blend that's along the lines of Mexene Chili Powder? (I love that stuff for southwest style chili)

Comments (5)

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    11 years ago

...or Gebhardt Chili Powder, I've never been able to locate it around here but I've heard it's good SW style also....

• tsheets
    11 years ago

I'm interested to hear what ideas anyone has as well.

I never really thought about trying to replicate a commercial product. I started with a very loose interpretation of Alton Brown's recipe for chili powder. I don't know what you would classify it as. I use Anchos and whatever else I have for a medium and hot component (varies from year to year). This year I grew Guajillos and Pasilla Bajios to experiment with. Haven't tried them yet, though.

• sidhartha0209
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alton Brown's Chili Powder

Ingredients
    3 ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
    3 cascabel chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
    3 dried arbol chiles, stemmed, seeded and sliced
    2 tablespoons whole cumin seeds
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon smoked paprika

Directions
    Place all of the chiles and the cumin into a medium nonstick saute pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, moving the pan around constantly, until you begin to smell the cumin toasting, approximately 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside and cool completely.

Once cool, place the chiles and cumin into the carafe of a blender along with the garlic powder, oregano, and paprika. Process until a fine powder is formed. Allow the powder to settle for at least a minute before removing the lid of the carafe. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
    -------------------------

I've never been able to find [real] cascabels here, the round ones. Some guajillo looking chiles are sometimes sold under the name 'cascabel'.

I've never had any luck using a blender to make a fine powder, have to use a coffee grinder to do that.

I haven't fooled with powders much, I usually rehydrate dried chiles and puree with a blender. I may get into making powder though, I'll have to get something better than my coffee grinder though.

I was basically using the 'holy trinity' of chiles before I had ever heard of it: ancho, guajillo, pasilla, along with de arbol, cumin, oregano (I like European best), garlic - makes a decent bowl of chili, or is a good start to a mole.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alton Brown's Chili Powder

• smokemaster_2007
    11 years ago

Ancho Chiles
    Cascabel
    Chile Negro
    Chile De arbol
    New Mex,California,Guajillo
    Mexican Oregano
    Cumin

All dried and ground.
    I like more Ancho , Chile Negro and cascabel in mine for Flavor.
    I use the new mex etc. for heat and flavor but add some hotter peppers if I want more heat.
    I'd say I use 2/3rds Ancho etc.
    1/3rd New Mex types and add whatever for heat as I use it,assuming I'm who is eating what it's in.
    Mexican Oregano is a must.
    A touch of Mexican Cinnamon is nice too...
    I don't measure stuff in general so precise measurements are something I can't post.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

I am intolerant to cumin, so my chili powder mixes don't resemble anything commercial.

But just pay attention to the overtones of the chiles - some are a chocolate/tobacco smell and go great with beef. Other have a sharper, almost pine resin smell and go better with pork.

And toasting the dried pods in a dry skillet before grinding changes the taste - mellows it and drives off a bit of the heat. Do this outdoors, because that heat is air-soluble and will make it hard to breathe in your kitchen.

You even get a different taste is you soak and puree and heat versus soak and puree and add to HOT oil and lightly fry the puree first.

Garlic powder is not as good as fresh garlic added to the puree - totally different taste.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks