Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelec_gw

Jalapeno Slicer

michelec
17 years ago

Hi, I have a large quanity of jalapenos to slice. The egg slicers wires are to thin and bend out of shape. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to look for something that is a little more heavy duty?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (12)

• ardnek710
    17 years ago

If you have a cuisinart or a stand mixer you could use the veggie slicer attachment. They wouldn't be pretty but it would slice them quickly.

kendra

• michelec
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, but I do need something that is uniform on the cutting. I make up a candied jalapeno and am thinking of doing some gift shows with them. The problem I have is the time involved in slicing the peppers. I do them by the 5 gal. bucket! Just thought someone would know where I could look for a slicer that works with Jalapenos.

• fiedlermeister
    17 years ago

What about a mandolin?

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

michelec,

Try the Harvest forum. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that someone there will know.

jt

Here is a link that might be useful: Harvest

• John__ShowMe__USA
    17 years ago

> What about a mandolin?

That's the name I was trying to think of!! LOL

• willardb3
    17 years ago

You could surely slice them with a 10 or 12" chef's knife......

I slice quite a few chiles in a year and it gives the most consistent quality results.

• moonrobin
    15 years ago

Did you ever find the right slicer? My brother is doing the same thing and requested a slicer for Christmas and I am having a hard time figuring out what he would need or what would be most helpful.

• jimster
    15 years ago

Google on "pickle slicer".

One result is linked below.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickle Slicer

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    15 years ago

I think a Feemster Slicer would work. The platform is movable and can be adjusted to most any thickness. I've sliced cucumbers, apples, ham, etc. (including the skin off my finger...be careful!) with this simple tool. I've had mine for years and used one as a kid, too, when helping my mom make pickles. Never sliced any jalapenos with it, though. I see they advertise a "hand guard" now. I should look into that :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Feemster Slicer

• danielmlane
    15 years ago

Here's something I saw on TV today. It's called the Turbo12. This may or may not be what you're looking for. You can check it out at the link listed.

Danny

Here is a link that might be useful: turbo12

• foodiewithfamily
    13 years ago

Hey Michelec- Are you willing to share that recipe at all? I'm desperately seeking a can-able candied jalapeno slices recipe. I know you posted this thread a billion years ago, but hopefully you'll still get the notice!

Here is a link that might be useful: Foodie With Family

• DMForcier
    11 years ago

Search this forum for 'Favorite recipes here' thread. I'm pretty I saved a link to candied jalapenos in that thread.

Yes, a mandolin would be pretty quick, though with practice - and a sharp knife - so would hand slicing. You can get a mandolin fairly cheap. An Oxo V-slicer is around $30, IIRC. You can hold a group of 3-4 peps upright to be more efficient. You won't be able to use the feeder puck with peps, so be careful of your fingers.

Also useful for many other things, especially Freedom Fries.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH