When

pepperchuck
10 years ago

When do you start seeds?

Just a fun general question.

Comments (7)

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

I'll be starting my superhots, habs, and ornamentals in a couple of weeks. Less common ones around Mid Dec, jalapenos and common annuums around first-mid January.
    Pam

• scents_from_heaven
    10 years ago

Depends what zone you are in and whether you have an indoor seed starting area or cold frame. Here in central Florida we are zone 10 and can start them almost anytime and I have an indoor grow area and a screened in back patio that I can put plastic up and heat with lights or if it gets really cold an electic heater. I also have a micro climate in the front L shape of my house that stays 10 - 20 degrees warmer than other areas and never gets touched by frost. We use Christmas lights wrapped around stakes and poles with plastic over them or cloth when we are having frost.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Depends on a) when warm weather comes, and b) what support you can offer them until then. New plants should break ground in 10-14 days, then LIGHT, warmth, and dirt until time to set them out.

Here is zone 7 with fair support, mid-January is time to start the slow ones. But with good support you can start them now.

Dennis

• seysonn
    10 years ago

I also think that It depends on few things: Growth habit, indoor support. and plant out date.

For example, if it take 4 weeks just to germinate and then it grows very slowly and stocky ,you can start seeding 12 weeks in advance of plant out time. I might try with ornamentals, Habs, pepperoncini eaerly Feb. To plant in mid May. I might be able to transfer them to my cold frame sooner.
    For me, plant out date comes 2 to 3 weeks after LF date. I have found out that early planting in cool weather and soil does not do any good. With cold frame I can partly overcome that problem.

This is a very good thread. Lets keep in touch and report regularly. I am a newbie in hot peppers world and appreciate learning from you guys with a lot of experience.

• CanadianLori
    10 years ago

I got a late start last year and sure am happy to have the choice to start earlier.
    Probably will start everything January 2nd. I have the whole family over on New Years day so there won't be room until the next morning.
    My habs are all gone now but I am still picking my morugas, 7 pots, butch T's and Devil's Tongue.
    I don't want to be doing this in November next year and that's why I want an earlier start.

• pepperchuck
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm thinking about starting a tray tonight with various peppers, that is if I can get my heating pad away from my girlfriend that is :)

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

> "if I can get my heating pad away from my girlfriend"

Well good luck on that. Might want to get your own. This whole conceit of "dual ownership" is just that.

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County