Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chilliwin

My Pickles and Dry chillies

chilliwin
10 years ago

I got a lot of good tips and advice from our forum members, I sincerely respect all of your efforts to help my plants at the times of troubles.

I didn't know the super hot chilies could be so productive. In fact I had a pretty hard time when they were getting ripe.

I am really happy to see the result of my first time experiment of growing hot chilies.

I made some Asian pickle and vinegar based pickle. The big jars are 1.8L, the medium size are 1.0L and small size is 0.5L. I do not know how many years I am going to eat. I have about 32 L dry chili and 10L frozen chili :-)

{{gwi:1239683}}

I enjoy more to see my plants than eating. I love the scorpion and fatali flavor most. Ghost red and brown were crossed so I am planning to grow some real one this season.

Thank you all for helping my plants :-)

Caelian

Comments (22)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Caelian, nice stockpile! :-)
    I used some dried Yellow and Red Ghost to make pickles this season, and they turned out excellent. Ghost Pickles are my absolute favorite.

Josh

• kuvaszlvr
    10 years ago

Wow Caelian, impressive haul. BTW, what is an asian pickle? Never heard of it. Love the jars.
    Pam

• ka0ttic
    10 years ago

Nice Caelian! Hope I can post a similar pic a year from now.

• sjetski
    10 years ago

Congrats Caelian, a nice autumn bounty. High quality, home made product, you almost can't put a price tag on it. Looking at that really gears a person up for the next growing season.

And since i tested 3 different pickle brine recipes this year, i'm also interested in hearing more about Asian pickles.

Enjoy.

Steve

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    10 years ago

Great job Caelian! Another great pic too!

Kevin

• northerner_on
    10 years ago

What a lovely harvest. It's good to store things if you can. You never know when you'll have a 'bad' year and your stash will come in handy. Happened to me this year. I got sick over summer and hardly had any harvest...but my stash is still there. Very interested to know what the Asian pickle is like.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the kind words.

Josh, I like ghost but I was disappointed to see my ghost, it is hot but the flavor is not strong. I do not know how to make pickle from dry chilli.

Pam, Steve and Northerner, the Asian pickle I made is oil based pickle. the ingredients are mustard seeds and other spices such as coriander seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, asafetida and turmeric powder. There is no limitation to add, it depends to the consumer's like, I think. I put fresh ginger too. Instead of vinegar I used fresh lime juice. This is my first time pickle, I got some tips from my friend and learned from the net too. They preferred to use mustard oil but not available here so I used olive oil. still I like the taste very much but my expectation was a strong kick on my nose and eye watering:-) I do not know what it called in English. The taste should be stimulate the nasal passages more than the tongue. It is a real good appetizer. The Jar is from Ikea .

Ka0ttic, best of luck.

Thank you Kevin still I am interested on photography :-)

Asian pickle close-up shot:

{{gwi:1239684}}

Thank you all again.

Caelian

• sunnibel7 Md 7
    10 years ago

Lovely, Caelian! That is a nice looking harvest you've put up there! You must feel proud. I'm curious, what do you eat you Asian pickle with?

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sunnibel7, thank you for the nice words. Most of the time I have it a little bit for every meal. It is pretty good with vegetarian Indian dishes.

Caelian

• lexxluthor
    10 years ago

Very nice job and a bountiful one. Your picture looks like you have a general store with all that product and how many different plants did you plant this year.

• tsheets
    10 years ago

That will last you quite a while I imagine! I don't have near that much come harvest time and just last weekend I was making chili powder and mixed flakes with peppers from 2011-2013. You'll create quite a stockpile at the rate you're going! :-)

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tsheets, I am going to make some chili flakes too. I feel lucky this season because I found this forum and got a lot of tips and advice from the members.

Now all my supper hot plants were overwintered and some of them are getting flower again :-) Only the wild chili and black pearl are not harvested. They are over ripe and getting dry.

I hope you will get a lot in the next season.

Good luck.

Caelian

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LexxLuthor, it looks like a general store :-)

I have grown Scorpion Moruga Blend Yellow, Fatali, Ghost orange, Ghost brown and Red, Rocoto De Seda, Habanero Magnum Gold and 7Pod Brain Strain. Most of the plants are Scorpion Moruga Blend Yellow they are very prolific. I have only one 7Pod Brain Strain ( may be crossed) it was also very prolific it has many different pod shapes. Fatalli and Ghost Orange are also very prolific, I have a couple of mature plants. I had problems with ghost red and brown they were late when I started. I have some C. annumm plants but I do not count it. Still they are outside soon they will die.
    Caelian

• scents_from_heaven
    10 years ago

Caelian!, you did a tremendous job and are to be congratulated on what you harvested and preserved. I am proud of you and hope to be doing the same this time next year or sooner.

For those who do not know what Asian pickles are they are also called Indian pickles and can be made from many different ingredients including mango, cucumber, carrots, etc and combinations of vegetables and fruits. They are either preserved in an oil base or brine base. There are numerous combinations of flavors, etc.

You can pickle dried chilis the same way as you would regular pickles but they are better in the oil based brine.

Once again great job, Linda.

• scents_from_heaven
    10 years ago

I forgot to say that when you make the pickles you can use honey, agave, sugar, etc to obtain the sweetness and heat you desire in your pickles regarless of what you are pickling from cucumbers to peppers themselves.

• scorpion_john
    10 years ago

Caelien, good job. I am impressed with how much you have learned this past year. You must live on this forum. Email me your address and i will check on postage. $28 shipping sounds crazy, but i can't rememberwhere you are from

• scents_from_heaven
    10 years ago

She is from Denmark if I am not mistaken

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Scents and Scorpion.

By the way I am not "she" but "He" :-)

Caelian

• scents_from_heaven
    10 years ago

I apologize for the gender error and hope you will forgive me. I do not know why I typed she.

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You should not apologize for this, it happened. You made me feel serious, I am very easy-going man :-). I accepted your apologize. Thank you for your sincerity.

Caelian

• scott123456
    10 years ago

WOW VERY IMPRESIVE HAUL !

• chilliwin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Scott.

Next year I can make better pickle I have some good tips from Linda the Scents. This season my pickles are extremely hot. Even I am thinking to add something again to minimize the heat.

This is my first time container gardening and pickling, without the forum it is very much impossible to do it. We have many experts and we are very interactive. Experts or non-experts, everyone like to help each other, the forum is encouraged us to share our experiences, ti gives courage to face the new challenges of gardening, that's remarkable.

Caelian

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations