Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salevene

How often will a plant product annually?

salevene
10 years ago

Hi All,

Just out of curiosity, how many harvests will a pepper plant have throughout the year if it lives in a conducive environment?

Thanks,
Steve

Comments (4)

• nc_crn
    10 years ago

I've seen plants in Kauai, Hawaii produce year-round with flushes up/down according to weather...even in winter (though winter there means days in high-70s and nights in the mid-60s).

In the summer it rarely gets out of the high 80s (record highs are 90/91) and the nights are in the low/mid 70s.

Even with the up/down flushes, they pretty much produce consistently between major flushes. They do slow down flowering a bit if you leave a lot of ripe fruits on the plants.

It's easy to keep a plant 5-10 years out there (depending on variety) before you see a decline in production or health.

I've seen some amazing sized pepper "trees/bushes" out there with many years of age on them...especially smaller fruiting varieties.

• DMForcier
    10 years ago

Actually, I'm seeing considerable decline in the fourth year. (Just to be sure this spring I completely changed soil in one and re-potted others - to no effect.) I do intend to keep trying though.

• tsheets
    10 years ago

When you harvest the peppers, they generally go through a growth spurt and set out a bunch of new nodes and then they bloom. So, that's the up/down flushes. In zone 5 I usually get the first small flush, then a big/main one, and the third flush usually is smaller or won't finish before the cold weather hits, but, I still get some off it.

For the older plants that are slowing down, I wonder if they were pruned, both top and bottom, if that would rejuvenate them? Could be a fun experiment. :-)

• scents_from_heaven
    10 years ago

I am most curious to see how long my peppers procude. I have a cayenne that has appeared to be a stick after it got hit by frost because I was in the hospital and did not get it's little greenhouse in place. It came back this spring with a vengence and has been producing all year and this the third year of it's life. I have it's greenhouse ready and when the lights go in it will begin growing agin and I will have fruits before spring. It did not get watered when I was in the hospital this summer but I have resolved that problem by putting a timer on the hose and the sprinklers come on automatically so I do not have to depend on my room-mate who is not a gardener. I am attempting to teach him. I can not wait to see how my new seeds react to Florida. I may have super monsters.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting