Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharona1949

Squirrels eating Jalapenos

Grady Stanley
9 years ago

I've never had this problem before but suddenly the squirrels have taken a liking to my jalapeno peppers. The furry tailed rats have eaten every single pepper off my jalapeno plant but have not touched my cayenne or Tabasco pepper plant that is in the same bed. What's up?! Just wondering if anyone else has ever had a problem with squirrels eating their jalapenos?

Comments (22)

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Not squirrels, but what I suspect to be rats or mice. And not my Jalapenos, but less mild ones like Poblanos.

Funny story. I had a few Chilhuacle Negros(very mild variety) drying in the garage and one day I notices they were all gone(must be a rat because I doubt a mouse could lift a whole pepper). I said wtf and thought to myself maybe I didn't place them there to begin with. So, I harvested some Ghosts and placed them in the same tray and spot. Couple days later, I checked on them. I noticed one had some nibbling on it. My guess is that said rat took a bite and went running to find some cheese somewhere. Hasn't been back since. LMAO.

Kevin

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Not since I bought a Stoger X-20 Suppressor in .177...

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Your Jalapenos must be very sweet. Squirrels don't like hot stuff. That is why they spray bird feed by hot pepper and squirrels won't bother again.

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

As Tom said .177, i would add a six pack of Bud to that.. but if you don't have the time, i suppose a hungry cat or a box of D-con should work

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

As Tom said .177, i would add a six pack of Bud to that.. but if you don't have the time, i suppose a hungry cat or a box of D-con should work

• User
    9 years ago

Hey seysonn,

I like the spraying the seed with hot pepper spray idea... otherwise...

• TNKS
    9 years ago

I dont have squirrel problems,I have squirrel jerky and its mighty good eaten
    YES you are correct,I dont give them the first chance to eat a single pod

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

squirrels have never bothered my stuff so i let them be. Now chipmunks and rabbits are another story, and if the hunters don't do their job this year, deer are going on the kill list next year

• tomt226
    9 years ago

Scorpion John,
    The Suppressor is good, but has a lousy trigger, which I'm gonna replace.
    This is a better alternative. Re-mesh with chicken wire. Keeps birds, squirrels, coons, possums, and chupacabras out. Made eight.

• DMForcier
    9 years ago

When I was a kid in New England in the deep winter, my mom would make up batches of critter feed from hot oatmeal cereal and peanut butter (etc etc). When she was late the squirrels would come up and beg just like that.

More than squirrels, though, we also fed the pheasants. The cocks would lead the hens up and watch over them as they ate seeds scattered on the snow. They got bold too. A couple times a cock would fly up into the bathroom window (in which there was sleepy movement) and crow to demand the tribute to Beauty.

What is the muzzle velocity of the Suppressor expressed as a proportion of the speed of light?

Dennis

• ronnyb123
    9 years ago

Never had a problem with squirrels eating my peppers.
    The ones here dig holes in the pots, bury fruit in there (LOL, found a persimmon in one once) and pull up the small seedlings, shoving dirt everywhere.
    Even with chickenwire, they dig in the dirt if the wire is too close to the plants. What a pain. uhhhhhhhhh.

This post was edited by RonnyB123 on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 18:29

• woohooman San Diego CA zone 10a
    9 years ago

Bruce wrote: "It was getting so I had Yellow and Blue tailed squirrels running all over the place."

Chargers fans were they? :P

Kevin

• scorpion_john
    9 years ago

Bruce,

I wasn't joking about the D-CON. They love that stuff and it requires very little effort on our part...

• tomt226
    9 years ago

exos07,
    LMAO. Good story. The cages were built for tomato plants, not peppers.
    It probably looked like one of those animated color cartoons in yer trees...

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

John: Yah, I suppose that stuff would work. I just worry about other critters getting a hold of it. I guess if a guy put it where dogs and cats were unlikely to get to it, it would be a good deal.

Tom: Yah, I remember one time there were three squirrels in the back yard. One on the deck and three in trees. Three had yellow on their tails and one blue. I wish I had a photo.

I just wonder what the neighbors thought.
    Bruce

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Yeah. Squirrels are not very smart and definite poor memory cells. They hide thing , cannot find ; they get trapped and forget it the next day ? hahaha

• TNKS
    9 years ago

If you choose the D-Con,Havoc poison route
    Mix the pellets with a small amount of peanut butter
    Then apply it in the tree trunk/branch "V"s,the bark will hold it secure.
    It will be up and away from dogs,only use about a TSB of total mix

• esox07 (4b) Wisconsin
    9 years ago

Wow, TNKS, sounds like you might have had a little experience dispatching nuisance squirrels at some time in the past!

• djoyofficial
    9 years ago

Mmmmmmhhh.. Squirrel Jerkey..... :-\

Dennis, I believe that would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 819,642.5 meters per second.?

dj

• Mecdave Zone 8/HZ 9
    9 years ago

I'm a fan of the CB sub-sonic 22 rounds also, particularly around the 4th of July when they are even less likely to arouse suspicion. Most of my neighbors thank me profusely for thinning out the herd, but there always has to be one that considers them pets.

PS Brine them overnight in the fridge before chicken-frying them up. MmmMmmmm!

• TNKS
    9 years ago

Actually esox07 I just injected common application principle for the other poster based on my "baiting" practices.
    My method of "harvest" is with an "FX Bobcat or FX Indy" in .22cal.
    Very efficient with clean headshots out to 100yds makes loading the freezer less then strenuous :)

Peanut butter will draws squirrels for blocks around in all weather conditions