Return to the Hot Pepper Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Fruit From Frozen Plant Safe to Eat?

Posted by evan.turnover 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 14, 11 at 13:10

After a very successful first attempt at growing several different varieties of hot peppers in containers (sorry, I could not resist patting myself on the back), I left one of my red habanero plants outside over the weekend to see how it would be impacted by sub 40 degree temps.

Long story short, the plant is dead... but my question is whether the few remaining fruits that I had left on the plant to ripen are still edible, and if not, why?

This is actually my first post on the site, but I have been coming here since February and am extremely grateful for the knowledge found here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Fruit From Frozen Plant Safe to Eat?

Welcome!

As long as the fruits haven't split, discolored, or otherwise turned to mush, they're fine.
I just pulled my final Bih pod off the plant this morning. We've had several hard freezes.

I have two Thai chiles and a Black Pearl hanging in my garage, too. Haven't had time to pluck them.

Josh

o

I'll 2nd that Welcome!

What Josh said + I'll add the texture of thawed peppers won't be the same as fresh but after a day or three they'll still have the flavour and heat.

FWIW,

Bill

o

Thank you for the responses and the welcome.

Some of the fruit seemed to be much softer than prior to the freeze. Not mushy, but noticibly softer and almost translucent. Are there guidelines that I can follow on when fruit has passed from ripe to rotten?

Here is a link that might be useful: Test... older pic of hab plant

o

Softer and translucent means that the cells have ruptured.
You *can* eat them, but the texture is terrible. I'd toss 'em.

Josh

o

they will dry just fine if you throw them in a dehydrator... you can also make sauce out of them with no ill effects...

i put a lot of peppers that have been partially frozen through the smoker and then the dehydrator and grind them into powder.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Pepper Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here